7970 Not detected at Mobo level after bad OC, system POSTs fine

McGinSpace

So, I OC'd my 7970 (powercolor, reference) for about the billionth time and experienced a system crash, presumably due to insufficient voltage at the given clocks. The thing was idle and at 30 degrees or something. There was a kink in the water cooling tubing* (I thought it odd that there was a bubble so large that the water was trickling down beside it, but this is probably not the cause because, if the plate is cold, the card is cold...)

So, I have PEG (1) (where it rests) selected at boot, the mobo skips it and boots using the second slot card.

I plugged my 3rd card into PEG 1 (albeit using the riser) because this was easier than moving cards around, and it detected.  Plugging the 7970 into the riser and trying different PCIe slots and no joy.

Maybe it had a bad reaction to my custom fan PWM cable...

So, do I have a brick I need to try baking or selling to somebody with an AMD parts list and advanced solder tools and spare time, is there a well known fail point I can DIY fix, or could I even look for a place to attach a debug speaker to, etc?

or have I overlooked something?

*This PC is very kludgey with lots of long tubing. Let's say I beat LMG to disapating the heat outside the buidling... although my solution is far simpler and less awesome and involves too-long tubes I'm hesitant to cut cause I might move my PC.

Just insert the 7970, reset CMOS and if it detects good, if not - trash can.

Welcome to the forums !

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

Trash can? Nah, I gotta at least chuck it in acid for the precious metals!

Or take it to people who do that for free.

Or maybe do a "for parts" e-bay listing,

and the old Nvidia oven solder-reflow trick because I like carcinogenic food.

and those only after I take the block off and check for visible damage for the heck of it.

Sucks to have a 2-300 dollar part fail due to something that is probably very minor. It's like the anti-thesis of PC building. 

Welcome to the forums !

Thanks....

Now I can enter contests and not be dismissed as a one post wonder!

Now about an avatar... and contributing to the community that helped me and what not.

No this can't be the end of it, hey come have a look buddy @dragoon20005

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

other than your PC

are you able to boot the GPU on another PC?

we need to be sure its not your PC acting up

if it indeed faulty

send it back to the manufacturer for repair and of course since you damaged it

you will have to pay for the repair charges to get it fixed

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Does powercolor offer that?

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Does powercolor offer that?

yes it does send an email to Powecolor

or contact the shop where you bought the GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible.