Best way to watch Youtube on a "dumb" TV

LarsReviews

Hi,

I have tried youtube.com/tv, but that doesn't go into full screen by its own. Than I have tried 2 addons for XBMC, but they are really really slow. 

Now I was thinking of getting a chrome cast, but where is the point of that if I have a gaming PC like 2 meters away from the TV. I want something that I just have to start and that I control over my phone or a windows remote from my bed or from the rocker chair.

Edit 24. August 2014: Isn't there any software that will just work, without being slow or buggy on PC?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Buy a apple tv

Roku/Apple TV/Chromecast

If you want to remotely control your PC, use teamviewer, works quite good on smartphones.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Chromecast or raspberry pi (the pi requires some knowledge of what you're doing)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Roku/Apple TV/Chromecast

or chinese android box http://www.banggood.com/CS918-Intelligent-HD-QuadCore-RK3188-Android-42-WiFi-TV-Box-p-928544.html

works really well.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

hdmi cable and wireless mouse?

That is how the setup is now.

Buy a apple tv

I have a android phone. I would love to get a Apple TV, but it wouldn't make sense. :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Use magic actions for youtube to make videos auto fullscreen.

Then buy a wireless touch pad to control the PC easily from the couch.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Use mediatomb to stream the youtube video's from your pc/server/NAS to your dumb tv over DLNA. Works like a champ for me.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Use magic actions for youtube to make videos auto fullscreen.

Then buy a wireless touch pad to control the PC easily from the couch.

do you mean something like this Logitech K400(K400r) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B005G16098/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Vc79tb0YVGJ1Q

the issue with chromecast is that it doesnt seem to support amazon video. I cant believe that there is no perfect desktop youtube app. not even windows 8 store has a official app.

Mabey try the amazon fire TV? Pretty pricey though.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

Mabey try the amazon fire TV? Pretty pricey though.

We don't even have them in Germany yet. 

Why isn't there a youtube program that will work without being slow or complicated. I just tired Plex after, XBMC and a other Media Center, but they are always so slow. 

Hi,

another german here. Nice :)

I put my old PC in a nice slim low profile case and turned it into an htpc. To watch youtube I currently use the "old fashioned" way: Browser. With the "Youtube High Definition" Addon for Firefox i was able to turn on 1080p by default. The "full-screen" option doesn't work as I expected, but good enough for me: The video takes up almost the full screen. Only the windows Taskbar and the Browser are visible. To get a real full screen i have to use my mouse, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

To control my PC i bought a "Microsoft All-in-one-keyboard". It "only" costs arround 30-35eur, has a really huge Trackpad and a full size island-style Keyboard. Something you learn to appreciate, if you have ever used a smaller Mediakeyboard. Those are just terrible!

With Windows 8.1 with 200% Text Scaling, Steam Big-Picture and XMBC it is a relly nice setting. It doesn't even have to run all day: Since the Microsoft keyboard isn't bluetooth, it's able to wake up the pc from sleep. For me a dedicated HTPC was the much more flexible and easy to use solution, than something like wireless screen transfer or appleTV.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

• 2 weeks later...

The way I do it is by using XBMC on a computer connected to the tv (I use a raspberry pi), and then using an app called Yatse. It's basically a more functional XBMC remote app. 

One of the features on Yatse is the ability to push a YouTube video from your phone to XBMC. It's not a million miles from a chromecast.

Once Yatse is setup, you go onto the YouTube app and click the share button (I think it's an arrow or something near each video) and select the Yatse function and it'll be pushed to XBMC and will start playing. 

Buy an Ouya. XBMC/PLEX/YOUTUBE/ETC

or get a chromecast if your just looking for youtube :3

Hi,

I have tried youtube.com/tv, but that doesn't go into full screen by its own. Than I have tried 2 addons for XBMC, but they are really really slow. 

Now I was thinking of getting a chrome cast, but where is the point of that if I have a gaming PC like 2 meters away from the TV. I want something that I just have to start and that I control over my phone or a windows remote from my bed or from the rocker chair.

Edit 24. August 2014: Isn't there any software that will just work, without being slow or buggy on PC?

THIS:

The way I do it is by using XBMC on a computer connected to the tv (I use a raspberry pi), and then using an app called Yatse. It's basically a more functional XBMC remote app. 

One of the features on Yatse is the ability to push a YouTube video from your phone to XBMC. It's not a million miles from a chromecast.

Once Yatse is setup, you go onto the YouTube app and click the share button (I think it's an arrow or something near each video) and select the Yatse function and it'll be pushed to XBMC and will start playing. 

Browse youtube on your phone, tap share, click "Send to XBMC". Every day, I just fire up my htpc, browse my subscriptions on my phone then tada~!!

Pardon my English. Not my native language.

Intel Celeron G1820 Haswell | ASRock B85M-ITX | Transcend 1GB DDR3-1333 | HEC Cougar SL 500W 80+ | Lian Li PC-Q03B ITX | SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 16GB | OpenElec-XBMC

I will try this after school.

HDMI + Mouse

That is how the setup is now.

Why can't you use your "Dumb TV" as a secondary display and fullscreen Youtube via Firefox as you normally would on any monitor?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

HDMI + Mouse

Why can't you use your "Dumb TV" as a secondary display and fullscreen Youtube via Firefox as you normally would on any monitor?

That is how I do it now, but I would like to have it more professinal.

use unified remote on your phone and use it as a mouse to hit the full-screen button

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You can use an air mouse with your computer. I use a Minix android box, but it would work fine with your computer. Here is the airmouse that I use.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B