i7 2600k to bottleneck 2 way gtx770 sli

Hi all,

I'm one of the many still happy with the old 2600k paired with a p8p67 deluxe. I've searched on the web but I couldn't find any clear answer: is it bottlenecking the 2 gtx 770 sli (gigabyte windforce) or not??

Thanks!

No, it will be fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It won't. But if you don't already have a 770, get a 780ti instead . But if you already have a 770, get another.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I have a 2500k with two 770's and there's no bottlenecking. The 2500k is a good CPU for gaming.

It's fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

only if targeting 100fps+ in bf4. youll see about 40% usage on your 770s in bf4. 

same goes for anygame that is cpu > gpu intenstive

only if targeting 100fps+ in bf4. youll see about 40% usage on your 770s in bf4. 

same goes for anygame that is cpu > gpu intenstive

Not true for BF4. A CPU bottleneck means that the processing demand on your GPU(s) exceeds what your CPU can provide. As BF4 only uses 4 threads, that leaves any unused percentage of those 4 threads, plus the 4 extra HT threads to handle all the network traffic for multiplayer. As network traffic is a Windows controlled function, it can use every core/thread you have.

The difference between a 4960X and any 4 thread CPU is only 1-4 FPS. So there will never be a time with two 770's where a 2600K would be holding them back. Just because you are not getting 100% GPU usage does not mean you have a bottle neck. Not all games require 100% of your GPU(s) processing power.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Not true for BF4. A CPU bottleneck means that the processing demand on your GPU(s) exceeds what your CPU can provide. As BF4 only uses 4 threads, that leaves any unused percentage of those 4 threads, plus the 4 extra HT threads to handle all the network traffic for multiplayer. As network traffic is a Windows controlled function, it can use every core/thread you have.

The difference between a 4960X and any 4 thread CPU is only 1-4 FPS. So there will never be a time with two 770's where a 2600K would be holding them back. Just because you are not getting 100% GPU usage does not mean you have a bottle neck. Not all games require 100% of your GPU(s) processing power.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Since when did BF4 only use 4 threads? I was fairly certain I saw a lot of benchmarks where hexacore i7s brought FAR more performance with the same GPU setups. Also that 2133MHz RAM helped BF4 quite a bit too. Do I need to go re-learn about BF4 due to recent patches or something?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Since when did BF4 only use 4 threads? I was fairly certain I saw a lot of benchmarks where hexacore i7s brought FAR more performance with the same GPU setups. Also that 2133MHz RAM helped BF4 quite a bit too. Do I need to go re-learn about BF4 due to recent patches or something?

Those benchmarks about 2133Mhz RAM came from Corsair, so you have to throw that out the window because they are biased and are pushing higher frequency RAM on us.  I personally went from 1600Mhz CL10 RAM to 2400Mhz CL10 RAM, and there was no discernible difference.

BF4 will play just as well on a Pentium, look at the Devil's Canyon G3258 + i7-4790k Video from Linus.  Once the Pentium was overclocked to the same Mhz as the i7, they got almost the same FPS, i7 winning by 3fps.  They don't use BF4 directly, but they use Star Citizen, and Star Citizen is another game supposedly multi-thread optimized, spoiler: zero fps difference.

Games are designed to be run on 2 cores, just because you have more cores, doesn't translate into better linear performance.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Those benchmarks about 2133Mhz RAM came from Corsair, so you have to throw that out the window because they are biased and are pushing higher frequency RAM on us.  I personally went from 1600Mhz CL10 RAM to 2400Mhz CL10 RAM, and there was no discernible difference.

BF4 will play just as well on a Pentium, look at the Devil's Canyon G3258 + i7-4790k Video from Linus.  Once the Pentium was overclocked to the same frequency as the i7, they got the exact same FPS.

Games are designed to be run on 2 cores, just because you have more cores, doesn't translate into better linear performance.

Huh. I checked out the other places, but i couldn't find the info anymore. I had distinctly remembered seeing some benchmarks shortly after the game came out. But oh well. I'll need to change what I tell people from now on, is all.

The RAM thing I actually saw some people commenting in forums that they saw a 5+ fps difference; but I never looked super deeply into it.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Huh. I checked out the other places, but i couldn't find the info anymore. I had distinctly remembered seeing some benchmarks shortly after the game came out. But oh well. I'll need to change what I tell people from now on, is all.

The RAM thing I actually saw some people commenting in forums that they saw a 5+ fps difference; but I never looked super deeply into it.

Bookmark everything you find, because I have my sources.  Just type Pentium BF4 into Youtube and you see plenty of people comfortably playing online with Pentium chips OC'd to 4.2Ghz+

If you want a really in depth overview:

This is the Tech Talk with the Intel Engineer, with a question specifically from me on June 20th of this year:

Start listening at minute 24:30

--"Game developers have been telling us for years that Hyperthreading and more cores will have a more linear effect on performance, and for years this has remain untrue.  Do you think Hyperthreading will soon show more profound performance gains when it comes to gaming in the near future?  If so, how long?  It seems like it has been 3 or more years that recommended specs have been telling us to buy i7s, yet the performance difference is negligible when comparing an i5 and i7.  Does it make sense to try and "future proof" by going with an i7 over an i5."

--"Realistically what game developers do is develop to the lowest common denominator, which is still 2 cores."

Another soundbite at Minute 33:30:

"Why would we release a consumer grade chip with 6 cores when software is not taking advantage of it?"

He says that rhetorically.

"Dual core is the bottom of the stack....We are moving forward as the software calls for it, but until we see demand for 6/8/10/12 cores in the mainstream world, what advantage would Intel have at releasing these parts, that can't really be utilized, it is really a niche place for 8 threads to be utilized."

The most telling moment of the stream starts at minute 60, there is too much to list word for word so I will summarize:

Intel wants more thread utilization, they want to push us up the stack because technology is there.  They are frustrated that software hasn't caught up, but when you look on Steam, and you see what kind of systems people have, the vast majority is dual core.  So if I'm a game developer I am designing the game for dual core because that is where the money is.

Listen to the stream starting from minute 60, and you will understand that games are not being made for more than 4 threads.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

all bf games benefit HUGELY from 6core intels. i7 and i5 arent enough for decent sli cards. they bottleneck quickly. 

all bf games benefit HUGELY from 6core intels. i7 and i5 arent enough for decent sli cards. they bottleneck quickly. in bf games at least. 

Thanks for all the opinions, and to be clear I already own the two 770 and my 2600k is at 4.7ghz. I started this thread because I'm considering upgrading cpu-mobo-ram in order to have at least a 2 x pciex 3.0 at 8x configuration while now i have half the bandwidth.

Hi found a deal and I ordered an asus p8z77 ws for 200$ so i'll have dual 16x sli configuration ;)

Hi found a deal and I ordered an asus p8z77 ws for 200$ so i'll have dual 16x sli configuration ;)

did you not have x8 x8 on your other board? if so that was a $200 waste

These questions make me question people. Yes, your i7 will work well with dual 770s. It's a fucking i7! You see people everywhere with older CPUs and new GPUs and yet they are just fine! Ugh whatever..

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Nobody ever said that the processor itself was not capable of handling them, the problem was the bandwidth, on the p8p67 deluxe i had 8x 8x @ 2.0, of course 2.0 is due to the 2600k being 2nd generation but now i can have 16x 16x with the p8z77 ws (thanks to the PLX Gen 3 chip), so I made my system kind of futureproof for one or two more years that's all.

so I made my system kind of futureproof for one or two more years that's all.

O really? :P

Nobody ever said that the processor itself was not capable of handling them, the problem was the bandwidth, on the p8p67 deluxe i had 8x 8x @ 2.0, of course 2.0 is due to the 2600k being 2nd generation but now i can have 16x 16x with the p8z77 ws (thanks to the PLX Gen 3 chip), so I made my system kind of futureproof for one or two more years that's all.

be sure to let us know your results.

No, in one of my builds I have a 2500K oc`ed at 4.8 with two gtx 770 and I don`t see any bottlenecking.

I have the i5. Do you think it would bottleneck 2 290xs in stock GHz?

Maybe not if you overclock it, I don`t know for sure because I don`t have any amd cards.

Because you aren't cool enough

Yeah, that must be the reason    *Sarcasm on

You turn on the sarcasm after the comment. you mean "/s"

So strange, with the p8z77 ws i get both card running in sli at 16x  @3.0 with GPU-Z , only downside is that has problems accepting any 2x8gb ram kit.