custom laptop case project

Hi guys I am currently planning to build a custom laptop case but I have a hard time choosing in which material I should build it. I think bending a strong aluminium sheet should do the job but I actually don't know xD

Seems like a very interesting project.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Aluminium should be cool, can't wait to see the final product :)

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'd go with stainless because it's more ballin than aluminum, but that's because I hate aluminum

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd go with stainless because it's more ballin than aluminum, but that's because I hate aluminum

aluminium_438x0_scale.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-snip

Har har har.

No I mean that out of all metals, aluminum is overhyped. Steel is stronger. The only good thing about aluminum is it absorbs heat very well.

You could always go with tool grade steel so you can use it as an anvil as well as a laptop lol.

Har har har.

No I mean that out of all metals, aluminum is overhyped. Steel is stronger. The only good thing about aluminum is it absorbs heat very well.

And its lighter...

Aircraft grade aluminum is as strong as steel, but its extremely expensive.

It's basically the next best thing to titanium which costs a shit ton more :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

And its lighter...

Aircraft grade aluminum is as strong as steel, but its extremely expensive.

It's basically the next best thing to titanium which costs a shit ton more :P

There are now steel alloys that are stronger and lighter than aluminum. There was a youtube video of the safety cage of a normal sized sedan thats light enough for a single person to move.

I'm in the planning phase right now but I'm trying to hestimate the cost I'll do a build log as soon as I finish all the plan/3d model for now I'm thinking of folding 1 piece of steel/aluminium depending on the cost and solder it in the inside (I hate seeing screw) once the case will be done the hardware part is the easy part xD

oh shit I just had a fantastic idea but it will work only if carbon fiber is non conductive xD well I have a piece at home I'll see (the idea is covering the inside with carbon fiber)

oh shit I just had a fantastic idea but it will work only if carbon fiber is non conductive xD well I have a piece at home I'll see (the idea is covering the inside with carbon fiber)

Carbon fiber is a great electric conductor so I wouldn't put too much thought into that plan.

CNC milling aluminium would be my choice. A carbon fiber shell could be quite a cool project as well but it doesn't feel as nice as aluminium and it's a hell of a project.

Carbon fiber is a great electric conductor so I wouldn't put too much thought into that plan.

CNC milling aluminium would be my choice. A carbon fiber shell could be quite a cool project as well but it doesn't feel as nice as aluminium and it's a hell of a project.

if there is carbon fiber it will be the interior the exterior will be paint in white with a black art sticked on it ;p I'll check CNC milling aluminium if that fit the style I want to give

if there is carbon fiber it will be the interior the exterior will be paint in white with a black art sticked on it ;p I'll check CNC milling aluminium if that fit the style I want to give

There's nothing to stop you from painting carbon fiber, it is however a very expensive and complicated process to manufacture a case from.

it is however a very expensive and complicated process to manufacture a case from.

I don't really understand what you're saying I build myself the box of aluminium and I'll just stick carbon fiber on top of it ^^ good idea to paint carbon fiber with will surely look better I'll investigate that option

I don't really understand what you're saying I build myself the box of aluminium and I'll just stick carbon fiber on top of it ^^ good idea to paint carbon fiber with will surely look better I'll investigate that option

Carbon fiber itself isn't the cheapest thing in the world to acquire, on top of that you need resin (unless you're using dry carbon, which is much more expensive than the wet method), a vacuum compressor, vacuum bag and an oven to harden it all in. If you're just gonna lay it over an aluminium interior that kinda takes away the point of using carbon fiber in the first place.

Carbon fiber itself isn't the cheapest thing in the world to acquire, on top of that you need resin (unless you're using dry carbon, which is much more expensive than the wet method), a vacuum compressor, vacuum bag and an oven to harden it all in. If you're just gonna lay it over an aluminium interior that kinda takes away the point of using carbon fiber in the first place.

1.carbon fiber is for the look 2.it will cost aprox. 50$ to cover the interior 3. I already have resin 4. I already have an oven at disposition cause I don't use microwave ^^ 5. it will be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more easy to do that than to fold the aluminium and to solder everything together. So yeah a small step to make it way better so worth it but I'll just cover the interior cause well covering and painting the exterior is overkill imo and it will be better to put the sticker on painted aluminium than to stick it on painted carbon fiber. Oh and do you know a site that print quality custom sticker or decal (decal is better xD)

1.carbon fiber is for the look 2.it will cost aprox. 50$ to cover the interior 3. I already have resin 4. I already have an oven at disposition cause I don't use microwave ^^ 5. it will be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more easy to do that than to fold the aluminium and to solder everything together. So yeah a small step to make it way better so worth it but I'll just cover the interior cause well covering and painting the exterior is overkill imo and it will be better to put the sticker on painted aluminium than to stick it on painted carbon fiber. Oh and do you know a site that print quality custom sticker or decal (decal is better xD)

I can't really figure out what your plan is at this point. If you only want to use carbon fiber for the looks go with carbon fiber look vinyl instead, it's much cheaper and much easier to work with (no need for a vacuum compressor). As for custom decals call up your local sign painter, they should be able to figure something out for you.

I can't really figure out what your plan is at this point. If you only want to use carbon fiber for the looks go with carbon fiber look vinyl instead, it's much cheaper and much easier to work with (no need for a vacuum compressor). As for custom decals call up your local sign painter, they should be able to figure something out for you.

plan will be done soon xD I work on them right now