Should I get SSD with a HDD?

BulkyZaNka
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

You have to have your OS on your SSD to notice the speed difference, as well as a few key programes like the browser, and a few games

You can fit quite a bit on a 250gb ish SSD! I think 128gb and smaller are too limiting for most though

The normal kingston ssd is ok , but check out the price of the Crucial MX100, 840 Evo and the Adata SSDs

Hi guys, I have a 1TB HDD and I was planning to get a 120 or a 240GB Kingston SSD. The 240GB is a little over 100 Euro so is that worth it for a 240 SSD, it's not the HyperX series. Its just the basic Kingston SDD. I read that It's not worth having such a small SSD when I have a big HDD, people said that unless I put everything on my SSD, it wouldn't speed up my PC. If I would get the bigger one I would put Win 7 on it with a couple of Games/Programs I use lot. That would make Windows boot faster and the programs run faster. But it will not slow down my PC, would it?

You have to have your OS on your SSD to notice the speed difference, as well as a few key programes like the browser, and a few games

You can fit quite a bit on a 250gb ish SSD! I think 128gb and smaller are too limiting for most though

The normal kingston ssd is ok , but check out the price of the Crucial MX100, 840 Evo and the Adata SSDs

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

people said that unless I put everything on my SSD, it wouldn't speed up my PC.

Bullshit, SSD would speed up the stuff you put on ot. The golden rule is to install your system and programs you use most often on SSD and keep the HDD for games and media.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Yes a SSD is worth it, just don't get the Kingston V300 SSD; it's one of the worst SSDs atm.

Get a Crucial MX100 SSD as it should be almost the same price as the Kingston SSD.

And no, a SSD will not slow down your system, it will speed up everything that is on it compared to a HDD.

Putting Windows, programs, etc. on your SSD will definitely not slow them down. I personally feel 120 GB for a boot drive is a little small, so unless you're on a very tight budget, I'd recommend at least 240 GB.

Bullshit, SSD would speed up the stuff you put on ot. The golden rule is to install your system and programs you use most often on SSD and keep the HDD for games and media.

Thats what I thought, the SSD have a faster read/write speed so everything that I put on it should go faster.

Put OS and programs on SSD and you'll be in a whole new universe of computing speeds. SLOW ISN'T EVEN A REAL WORD.

Git Gud.

SLOW ISN'T EVEN A REAL WORD.

67391.jpg

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Don't get a 120 one, I have one and I only have 1.5GB left, I'm really struggling to keep it around that, since there are always updates and such

Thats what I thought, the SSD have a faster read/write speed so everything that I put on it should go faster.

The only downside of an SSD is the price and capacity

Put larger files or files where the time it takes to load them doesn't really matter (like word documents and movies, your downloads folder, etc) on your HDD and everything else (i.e. programs and OS) on the SSD.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

What Solid State Drive should I get then? The Crucial MX100 or the Adata Premiere Pro SP920?

Edit: If I was going to go for the Adata, Which one should I go for? I see there is the ones with massive read/write speeds. I don't need a really fast one... Any SSD with about 256GB for around 150 Euro will be good.

What Solid State Drive should I get then? The Crucial MX100 or the Adata Premiere Pro SP920?

Edit: If I was going to go for the Adata, Which one should I go for? I see there is the ones with massive read/write speeds. I don't need a really fast one... Any SSD with about 256GB for around 150 Euro will be good.

Just get a Crucial MX100 256gb, it should be around 100€ and it performs really well.

Ok thanks. :)

Get an EVO 840.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV