Cheap and legitimate way to get a Windows XP key nowadays?

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Get old XP laptop and use that key. XP didn't have any protection with reusing OEM keys. I know, I traded XP pro to XP HP and both work.

Long story short, I have a really old program that I need to get running on a Windows 7 laptop. The program only works on Windows XP or on windows NT 4.0/3.51..... Compatibility mode doesn't work so I was thinking about using Windows Virtual PC and XP mode to get it running, but I would need an XP serial key for that. Is there even a way to acquire a legitimate copy of windows XP nowadays? I don't really feel like paying for Windows 7 professional just to get 1 program running.

Not really unless you can find a legit copy on amazon or something somebody is selling

To be honest I have seen super cheap windows 7 pro keys, its probably cheaper than tracking down an XP key

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

just go do it the old fashion way

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't know of any way to get hold of a Windows XP key now if you don't already have one. I don't know how other people feel about "pirating" XP now that it's support has ended, but I figure there is no way to actually get a new key unless someone has a stock room full of retail XP CDs (although the OEM licencing didn't work very well anyway).

You could try buying one from someone else, but there really are no guarantees that it will work with XP.

To be honest I have seen super cheap windows 7 pro keys, its probably cheaper than tracking down an XP key

This might be a better bet, you can upgrade from your current OS and it guarantees you a working license.

It's a tricky situation. Best of luck.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Get old XP laptop and use that key. XP didn't have any protection with reusing OEM keys. I know, I traded XP pro to XP HP and both work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Either being okay with swiping a OEM key from a scrapyard PC or finding someone selling keys on eBay.

Thanks! Using a random key for XP professional that I found online worked. I can run XP mode on windows 7 home premium and the program works just fine on the virtual XP machine.