DMAG - Digital Media Art & Gaming Rig [First Build]

Gr8White_Bear

Description:

I needed a new build that was more capable than my laptop for handling the 3D work/video editing and gaming.  I started building yesterday (8/20/14) around midnight and worked until about 4am.  Then I spend some more time during the day fixing up the cable management.  It's not the best, but at least my case side panel doesn't budge.  I have to install my Phanteks CPU cooler later.  The other thing is that my WiFi PCI-E card doesn't want to work.  Oh yeah, almost forgot... when I was fixing up my cables, my fan controller cable popped out and I haven't stuck it back in since the fans still work.  Another thing I noticed is that I haven't installed my front USB 2.0 header yet.  The only monitor I got for this build was the LG 25UM64-S (my parents helped me get it since it was on sale and it wasn't in my budget.  My budget was $1600 USD for the tower and components.  Most of the other stuff such as peripherals I already owned.).  The other two Dell monitors I owned already.  So this is what I have right now.  I should also mention my foolishness for not reading a single instruction manual in this whole process so far (but hey, at least I have everything working).    

Future Plans:

I will probably crossfire my 290 later.  Other than that... not much else.

Specs:

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790K
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5
  • RAM
    A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
  • GPU
    PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSHD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM64-S (x1), Dell E207WFP (x2)
  • Cooling
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710
  • Mouse
    Thermaltake Theron
  • Sound
    Integrated sound + Logitech G430
  • PC Part Picker URL
  • Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

Pictures:

chq9G1.jpg

uti283.jpg

9n9KI1.jpg

zq4HSs.jpg

t4YVfC.jpg

9hVjt7.jpg

nDWto4.jpg

jQZmsU.jpg

cR5E7u.jpg

It's still a work in progress, so more pictures will be posted (especially when I swap my CPU cooler).

I'll also post some screenshots as well.

Hope you guys like it!

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Nice build man. Well done! :)

that stock cooler though yo 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

:o

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

that stock cooler though yo 

yea... i know... I can't seem to be able to take it off yet.  I'll try again later.  especially since it's rather loud (even in a sound dampening case).

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Man this is a awesome build. Great job with the cable management!

Thanks!  It helped a lot when I fixed it after getting some sleep lol 

Screenshots!

RC5hLD.jpg

CcVytw.jpg

baS0qU.jpg

Toqlh1.jpg

V1Gzut.jpg

LohZ1u.jpg

tg7sf5.jpg

Thanks!  It helped a lot when I fixed it after getting some sleep lol 

at least better than mine, my case has cable management holes but doesn't have room for it. 

@sqwidee I can even play Kingdom Hearts in HD... with FXAA, Anisotropic Filtering, and FX Shader.... while streaming it to Twitch.  :D

@sqwidee I can even play Kingdom Hearts in HD... with FXAA, Anisotropic Filtering, and FX Shader.... while streaming it to Twitch.   :D

-.- you better not have built this for emulating KH.

That game is dead to me. KH3D. Murder on a little 3DS card, indeed.

Git Gud.

-.- you better not have built this for emulating KH.

That game is dead to me. KH3D. Murder on a little 3DS card, indeed.

lol nope.  I built it for other things.  KH is a nice bonus though.  I do want to try getting KH3D.

3706896431.png

So OP.

3706896431.png

So OP.

That Comcast upload tho xD

I have the same service... so bad for playing online but... at least I can download games in a few seconds.

Git Gud.

cR5E7u.jpg

The Dell monitors being about an inch taller annoy me a little. How is when gaming though?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The Dell monitors being about an inch taller annoy me a little. How is when gaming though?

It initially bugged me as well, but you don't actually notice it much.

More Pictures!

I was able to mount the Phanteks cooler and also make the wifi card work... turns out I tried to fit the wifi card into a different PCI slot, not PCI-E.

4fJKgD.jpg

FbU11l.jpg

iFdAfU.jpg

qunAVc.jpg

z43pyK.jpg

DiOSnF.jpg

ZrclLU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I just realized that if I were to crossfire my 290, I'd have to either move my wifi card down to the bottom PCI-E slot or just remove it completely.

cbE6bn.png

Overclocked to 4.6 GHz... not entirely sure if it's stable.  I set the voltages to auto.  I also have not seen that much of a performance increase from stock 4 GHz

• 6 months later...

Update on monitors/backgrounds

914494_716816475096309_1052037686_n.jpg

10995037_1594562384090857_566527239_n.jp

cbE6bn.png

Overclocked to 4.6 GHz... not entirely sure if it's stable.  I set the voltages to auto.  I also have not seen that much of a performance increase from stock 4 GHz

That's a lot of voltage for 4.6GHz. My 4790k is at 4.8GHz at 1.375 volts. You should run a stress test on the CPU to see if it fails on anything if it passes it should be stable.

That's a lot of voltage for 4.6GHz. My 4790k is at 4.8GHz at 1.375 volts. You should run a stress test on the CPU to see if it fails on anything if it passes it should be stable.

I put it back to stock 4.0.. I'll figure it out sometime later.