8350 CPU Watercooled Overclocking Help

So I'm overclocking my FX 8350 processor from AMD but at 1.4Volts, with a Corsair h100, 4 fans in pushpull config. The Motherboard is a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud7, anyways when I go to overclock it it maxes out at 64 degrees with prime95 after about 7 hours, Its not consistently on 64 degrees, its around 59-62 degree's regularly in Prime95 blend mode, I just find that I should be able to do more voltage without that kind of heat with watercooling, Ive reseated the block 3 times so apparently thats not really the problem, any help? Not sure if these temps are normal or not but, they seem quite high. Im clocked at 4.7GHz which is nice and stable but I was thinking id be able to clock 5GHz with my cooler, Might try getting rid of the dust again incase theres another buildup but there shouldnt be any big buildups. Also when I try to go above 4.7GHz is freezes up even if I put the voltage up to 1.425, but either way its always been running this hot with the cooler so I question if something is wrong because i was told it should be running a lot cooler than it is, iv been told people can push 1.5v with an H100 so 1.425, or even 1.45 should be extremely easy. Sorry for my ranting, My head is a little out of it so dont mind if Im jumping all over the place haha (It runs idle at around 37 Degrees with 2 games running and a ton of tabs open in google chrome, so this clock is easily managle but not being able to go over is kind of strange I think)

EDIT:

Stop saying I'm killing my CPU, the the builtin overclocker overvolts from 1.375 to 1.425 and I'm at 1.4v. Lower than what AMD set by default, the average temperature while running a lot of intense programs,1  intense game and 1 not so intense game, I average 34 degrees. Only in Prime95 did I hit 64 degrees, but the average temp in prime95 is 60ish. And we all know Prime95 is a very very intense program that goes over the limit of what anyone would even do. So its a stable clock and under the voltage of what mostly everyone does with the FX8350.

1.4 v is VERY high. You're seriously reducing the life span of your CPU at this point...

Usually overclocks are mean to stay below 1.3v for normal daily use.

Your CPU core temp should not exceed 62 degrees when overclocked. You're pushing your chip too far.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

64 C is not that high for that level of overclocking IMO. Some might think otherwise but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. No level of dust cleaning is going to do a damned thing if there isn't a big ass dust bunny in there. Coolers are made to handle moderate levels of dust.

But like he said, you're killing your machine.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

1.4 v is VERY high. You're seriously reducing the life span of your CPU at this point...

Usually overclocks are mean to stay below 1.3v for normal daily use.

Your CPU core temp should not exceed 62 degrees when overclocked. You're pushing your chip too far.

Not necissarily, the stock voltage for my FX8350 is 1.375 so it is definitely not very high, you dont seem to know a lot about the AMD FX8350... Haha and the reason I made this post is BECAUSE I want to fix the temperature, Im not stupid man :P Its not going above that at all, running for like 8-10 hours it hit 64 degrees for not very long with prime95, which isnt all the surprising... Of course its not the best so I came here to get some help on what could be the issue here because my h100 isnt doing as good as it should be, that or my CPU gets extremely hot, but getting 4.7GHz on 1.4v is quite good. Also the built in AMD Autoclocker for this chip sets the voltage at 1.425v, so I'm definitely not overdoing it on the voltage

64 C is not that high for that level of overclocking IMO. Some might think otherwise but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. No level of dust cleaning is going to do a damned thing if there isn't a big ass dust bunny in there. Coolers are made to handle moderate levels of dust.

But like he said, you're killing your machine.

Well I just removed a dust filter and it reduced the average temperature by 2-3 degrees, so Im thinking that maybe its might be being choked

You're killing that CPU >.> you MONSTER. Also dude just give up you lost the silicon lottery get over it...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Well I just removed a dust filter and it reduced the average temperature by 2-3 degrees, so Im thinking that maybe its might be being choked

yeah cleaning it once might help, but you made it seem like you cleaned it a few times.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Not necissarily, the stock voltage for my FX8350 is 1.375 so it is definitely not very high, you dont seem to know a lot about the AMD FX8350... Haha and the reason I made this post is BECAUSE I want to fix the temperature, Im not stupid man :P Its not going above that at all, running for like 8-10 hours it hit 64 degrees for not very long with prime95, which isnt all the surprising... Of course its not the best so I came here to get some help on what could be the issue here because my h100 isnt doing as good as it should be, that or my CPU gets extremely hot, but getting 4.7GHz on 1.4v is quite good. Also the built in AMD Autoclocker for this chip sets the voltage at 1.425v, so I'm definitely not overdoing it on the voltage

Oh I was assuming the stock voltage was 1v like on normal CPUs. My bad. Can you tell us your H100 pump RPM, fan speed, and what fans you're using?

Also I would suggest using some aftermarket thermal paste such as MX-4 to reduce temps even further.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In terms of heat, 1.4v is 1.4v whether using intel or AMD AFAIK. 62c is way low. I doubt those are your actual temps. I don't know if many people are going to know much on this since AMD CPU's are less common since they are simply worse.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You're killing that CPU >.> you MONSTER. Also dude just give up you lost the silicon lottery get over it...

Naw I dont really care if mines all that great, Just checking whats up, because the temps seem off too me. Just trying to get some more thoughts. the CPU isnt being killed because AMD's stock overclocker goes up to 1.425v bro, also it only gets that hot in Prime95 after 8ish hours of running, on average its around 59-60 during Prime95, running tons of stuff (the usual things I always have opened plus 1 intense game and another low end game) I have an average temp of 34 now. Its a stable overclock, I just wont be able to go any higher

Oh I was assuming the stock voltage was 1v like on normal CPUs. My bad. Can you tell us your H100 pump RPM, fan speed, and what fans you're using?

Also I would suggest using some aftermarket thermal paste such as MX-4 to reduce temps even further.

Im pretty solid on Fans, using 4 of the Corsair SP's in pushpull. Gotta figure out if the fans are going at their full potential through the Cosair H100 controller on the waterblock. My thermal paste is aftermarket, I use the Arctic Silver 5

Naw I dont really care if mines all that great, Just checking whats up, because the temps seem off too me. Just trying to get some more thoughts. the CPU isnt being killed because AMD's stock overclocker goes up to 1.425v bro, also it only gets that hot in Prime95 after 8ish hours of running, on average its around 59-60 during Prime95, running tons of stuff (the usual things I always have opened plus 1 intense game and another low end game) I have an average temp of 34 now. Its a stable overclock, I just wont be able to go any higher

Depending on when you bought your CPU if it was after the release of the 9590 then it will have been binned lower to accommodate the higher OC of the new chips.

My CPU can run 4.6Ghz stable at stock volts at around 62C in prime 95, if I increase the voltage the temps jump to almost 70C and above.

I think you may have reached the limits of your CPU on your cooler.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Depending on when you bought your CPU if it was after the release of the 9590 then it will have been binned lower to accommodate the higher OC of the new chips.

My CPU can run 4.6Ghz stable at stock volts at around 62C in prime 95, if I increase the voltage the temps jump to almost 70C and above.

I think you may have reached the limits of your CPU on your cooler.

Yeah okay thats what I was looking for xD Thanks man! I bought it when it released pretty much :P

OP

judging from the speeds you are achieving

i guess you have done the following

Disable APM, Spread spectrum, AMD Power App, Cool n Quiet, C6 state,

and Enable HPC

put the voltage near 1,46V~1.48v and the cpu multiplier to 24~25

Set CPU NB voltage to 1.25V

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

OP

judging from the speeds you are achieving

i guess you have done the following

Disable APM, Spread spectrum, AMD Power App, Cool n Quiet, C6 state,

and Enable HPC

put the voltage near 1,46V~1.48v and the cpu multiplier to 24~25

Set CPU NB voltage to 1.25V

Are you speaking for the Gigabyte 990fxa series?

Are you speaking for the Gigabyte 990fxa series?

kinda

but this is mostly for the 990FX chipset

and these are the settings i may use

but your mileage may vary

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

kinda

but this is mostly for the 990FX chipset

and these are the settings i may use

but your mileage may vary

Yeah was just wondering if you had experience with these specific boards, Theyll most likely have different names. Ill have to look into it, thanks for the advice! Lets hope it helps :) I dont think im going to amp up the voltage though. 1.4 is very stable, Ill have to see as I go though

Yeah was just wondering if you had experience with these specific boards, Theyll most likely have different names. Ill have to look into it, thanks for the advice! Lets hope it helps :) I dont think im going to amp up the voltage though. 1.4 is very stable, Ill have to see as I go though

What Loadline Calibration do you have (LLC) if available in BIOS? On my Gigabyte AM3+ board it was under voltage settings.

Although some early revision 990FX boards don't seem to have LLC.

I generally find best results on the 2nd highest setting.

Also yes; people that are telling you you're killing your chip apparently don't have AMD CPU experience so disregard that :P these SOI chips can suck up 1.5v quite happily.

Also as dragoon mentioned try disable APM, Cool'n'quiet, C6, C1E, Turbo core(if you didn't already). Some people suggest turning HPC on, I didn't get any difference either way so I just leave it.

I found my 8320 could run nicely up to ~68c as long as socket temps were below 77c which was throttle point, so if your prime95 temp is 68 but in game temps are ~60 I'd consider it safe.

What Loadline Calibration do you have (LLC) if available in BIOS? On my Gigabyte AM3+ board it was under voltage settings.

Although some early revision 990FX boards don't seem to have LLC.

I generally find best results on the 2nd highest setting.

Also yes; people that are telling you you're killing your chip apparently don't have AMD CPU experience so disregard that :P these SOI chips can suck up 1.5v quite happily.

Also as dragoon mentioned try disable APM, Cool'n'quiet, C6, C1E, Turbo core(if you didn't already). Some people suggest turning HPC on, I didn't get any difference either way so I just leave it.

I found my 8320 could run nicely up to ~68c as long as socket temps were below 77c which was throttle point, so if your prime95 temp is 68 but in game temps are ~60 I'd consider it safe.

Mmk, Ill listen to you guys, Not going to go above an average of 61 degrees in prime95 though :PP Wanna get the best clock I can at the safest temperatures :) Thanks! xD

Mmk, Ill listen to you guys, Not going to go above an average of 61 degrees in prime95 though :PP Wanna get the best clock I can at the safest temperatures :) Thanks! xD

Remember colder ambients help :) You can sometimes drop a few c using the H100i as intake if you aren't already

Remember colder ambients help :) You can sometimes drop a few c using the H100i as intake if you aren't already

or just like a car dyno

feed air using a desk fan towards the front of the PC

Yeah I was thinking of flipping the fans around because its currently blowing out, which is why I said it might be being suffocated, just not sure if it would help with temperatures

or just like a car dyno

feed air using a desk fan towards the front of the PC

Have 2 spots on the bottom of the case for fans so I was thinking of putting 2 Corsair AF series fans to get my airflow into the case

Have 2 spots on the bottom of the case for fans so I was thinking of putting 2 Corsair AF series fans to get my airflow into the case

as long as it's on wooden surface, i'd make sure all front/side vents are populated first, and try swapping the fans over for your cooler it could give you some headroom for more volts :)

yea you can try that but your CPU radiator is the crucial part

which is why the intercooler in a turbocharged car is installed in the front