Cooler Master V550 - enough for me?

MeltingPoint
Go to solution Solved by SAV1OUR,

550w is waaaaaaaaaaaay more then enough 

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to build my first gaming rig. Parts will pretty much be final except for the PSU.

CPU - i5 4670K

Cooler - Gelid Black Edition

RAM - 1 stick Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz

GPU - Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce OC

MOBO - ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac

HDD - WD Blue 3.5" 1TB 

Case - Node 304

I've ready the guide on choosing a PSU but I'm not confident with my decision.

I am looking at the Cooler Master V550 which Techpowerup has reviewed and seems pretty solid. It has a single 12V rail with 45 amps.

I do not plan on doing any OC (GPU is factory OCed though). This rig will stay with me for at least 3 years.

Will this PSU be enough? I can go with the V650 but budget is very tight.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

550w is waaaaaaaaaaaay more then enough 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

It's powerful enough. And the V series has favourable reviews.

Also, if you don't plan on OCing, you can buy a no-K CPU and H97 board and save a few bucks.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Really? I went by the rough estimate of taking the TDP of the CPU and GPU and add a little bit more for the other components. I get a little less than 450W. 

So let's say on a worst case scenario, I have 100W of headroom and plan to keep this rig for at least 3 years. What about that capacitor aging stuff?

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Double post. I dont know how to edit and quote at the same time.

I bought the K CPU for higher resale value   :D

Edit: Possible future upgrades will be another stick of RAM and an SSD. Shouldn't draw much power.

Soooo? Should I pull the trigger on the V550?

60FPS Microwave

The V550S would be more than plenty for your system and is indeed a solid PSU.

Alright!

Thanks to MourningSouls for suggesting an H series board. Did a quick google search and found out Asus allows OC on their H series boards. I'm not going to use it anyway but, Resale value! And cheaper too.

Thanks everyone!

60FPS Microwave