Need Help Picking Power Supply

G510Gamer
Go to solution Solved by alby800,

i dont know what brand it was i think it was a 80+ bronze power supply and it was one from my old budget build that i threw out 3 years ago

EDIT: and i think it was a 850W power supply 

ok then, try getting a 1000 watt 80+ gold power suppy then I guess

im trying to find a corsair powersupply for my next build BUT i dont know the wattage that is required to power my system (also another question is that if i buy a 1500 W Powersupply will it fry my components) but im getting mixed messages everyone said that the 780Ti needed different wattages that was required to run one card but im getting two so here are ALL of my components + perifirals this will be long 

NZXT Phantom 820 Case 

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition + Assassin's Creed 4 Mobo

Intel Core i7 4960K Extreme Edition Processer 

G.Skill Ripjaws Z 64GB DDR3  (i do massive projects that render in 8K and i have to downscale to 1080P or 4K)

Seagate Barracuda 4TB (those massive projects)

Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB SSD (no raid)

Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC 4GB

LG CH12NS30 12X BD-R  Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive 

Artic Silver 5

Windows 8,1

NZXT Kraken X61 280MM AIO Liquid Cooler

Avara TS743 Triple Monitor Stand

Noctua Industrial Fans 

3 Monitors

Perifirals: 

ROCAT Apuri Mouse Bungee + 4 Port USB Hub

Blue BabyBottle 

Scarlet 2i2

Razer Vespula Mouse Mat 

Astro A40 

Razer Black Widow 2014

Saitek Cyborg Mad Catz M.O.U.S 9 

Know that this is overkill but i really need the power for gaming, 4K rendering & much much much much more so yeah soooo i need the help that i can get also i have never built a PC but it seems quite basic, plug thing into thing and repeat for a while and its done ( i know that its harder than that but give me a break) well thanks for the help in advance, best answer gets a cake im looking for how much power i need I NEED THE POWA!!!!!!!!!!!! 1000 1200 1100 1500

Wait for X99, and for a single 290x you shouldn't need any more than 650 Watts I think

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Wait for X99, and for a single 290x you shouldn't need any more than 650 Watts I think

im having two 290X's because im having a 3 monitor setup... and i think that its going to be 3 years untill the 299 series comes out 

850-1000W should be enough. And going overboard isn't really a problem.

If you really want to just stick with Corsair, an AXi or HXi (These ones actually out yet?) would be best. A little expensive, but if I recall correctly a 4960X is around 1k, so a little expensive doesn't seem to be an issue.

Personally I'd stick with the most popular recommendation right now, one of EVGA's G2 line.

Also, X99 is expected within the next month if I recall correctly.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

im having two 290X's because im having a 3 monitor setup... and i think that its going to be 3 years untill the 299 series comes out

Evga 850g2

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

oh, it doesn't say that in the op, in that case I would go for a 850 watt at least, although I would go for 1000 watts just to be safe for overclocking and future upgrades.

What is 299? the X99 platform will be replcing the X79 platform and the extreme edition will be an 8 core, 16 threads overclockerbable beast! That should be coming out in a month or 2 I think. Msi and Gigabyte (I think it is them) have been releasing pics for there new mobos so they shouldn't be too long

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

850-1000W should be enough. And going overboard isn't really a problem.

If you really want to just stick with Corsair, an AXi or HXi (These ones actually out yet?) would be best. A little expensive, but if I recall correctly a 4960X is around 1k, so a little expensive doesn't seem to be an issue.

Personally I'd stick with the most popular recommendation right now, one of EVGA's G2 line.

Also, X99 is expected within the next month if I recall correctly.

ok thanks, i checked and its going to come out in a few days (9 or so) i have good uses for the processer, dont you worry about that and the G2 isnt enough to power the cards and the rest of the system (pc part picker and alot of other websites says that all the parts consume around 1200 watts of power 

#jealous #SendSomeDoughMyWay

and 750w MAX

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

dont get astro a40s, go to tha audio sub form and ask arround what you should get, and maybe wait for x99 and the 59xxk

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

oh, it doesn't say that in the op, in that case I would go for a 850 watt at least, although I would go for 1000 watts just to be safe for overclocking and future upgrades.

What is 299? the X99 platform will be replcing the X79 platform and the extreme edition will be an 8 core, 16 threads overclockerbable beast! That should be coming out in a month or 2 I think. Msi and Gigabyte (I think it is them) have been releasing pics for there new mobos so they shouldn't be too long

my entire system is based around the haswell and the X79 platforms and im really not going to rebuild my system just because the new platform released and the 299 is a typo my palm must of mashed the 2 button 

dont get astro a40s, go to tha audio sub form and ask arround what you should get, and maybe wait for x99 and the 59xxk

a40's is what i got last time i went to the subfourm so thats what i chose 

my entire system is based around the haswell and the X79 platforms and im really not going to rebuild my system just because the new platform released and the 299 is a typo my palm must of mashed the 2 button 

Wait, have you already built this?

Edit- And X79 is not even haswell, it is ivy-bridge E I believe, X99  is Haswell E

Wait, have you already built this?

Edit- And X79 is not haswell, it is ivy-bridge E I believe, X99  is Haswell E

yes i have built this and the things not booting up and i tryed a larger powersupply and it worked but the power supply was a old piece of shit 

EDIT: then the bloody ivy-bridge-e infastructure! 

Edited by G510Gamer

yes i have built this and the things not booting up and i tryed a larger powersupply and it worked but the power supply was a old piece of shit 

Ohhhh, my bad. I thought you were just planning this. What power supply have you tried?

Sorry for me being a stuppid

What PSU is it? Possibly a DOA PSU.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

paypal?

sure let me make a donate button is CAD ok?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

After far too much time on PCPartPicker putting this build together, I can say I find it to be far too finicky.

But more importantly, an EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2 or a Corsair AXi 1200W PSU will be what you need. Feel free to go overboard, you shouldn't have any issues.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Ohhhh, my bad. I thought you were just planning this. What power supply have you tried?

Sorry for me being a stuppid

your forgiven and i threw out the power supply shortly after it blew up in my computer 

What PSU is it? Possibly a DOA PSU.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ look up already

your forgiven and i threw out the power supply shortly after it blew up in my computer 

IT BLEW UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!???????!?!?!?!?!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ look up already

What's that supposed to mean ...?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

What's that supposed to mean ...?

look on previous page and the comment i last made on that page 

it blew up IN my computer but it didnt hurt anything 

aka it destroyed its self and it blew up in my case and not my motherboard or anything else