College Laptop Help

Hi all. I was recently looking for a good laptop that would last me through my year in college. Iv'e seen many and would like to know what yall would do. The laptop I am leaning more towards is this HP laptop.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/K0B71AV?HP-ENVY-15t-Slim-Quad-Laptop-Best-Value

I like the price as well as the 850m it comes with

I am also considering the g550jk from Asus that Linus reviewed. I am going to be an engineering student so it needs to be able to run programs such as auto cad. I will also do some gaming on the thing if possible. Any input would be fine. THANK YOU!!

Budget? Size preference?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i would like it to be around 1000$ less would be great which is why i was surprised at the specs and price of the hp one.

I am no master but I would recommend building a desktop and then getting a low power laptop, that is what I did. I have my i5 gaming PC and then a low power Dell inspirion 15 I use for school and general web browsing. Hope that helps.

I am no master but I would recommend building a desktop and then getting a low power laptop, that is what I did. I have my i5 gaming PC and then a low power Dell inspirion 15 I use for school and general web browsing. Hope that helps.

This is what  I would do. But if you have to do AutoCAD in class, that may be an issue.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This is what  I would do. But if you have to do AutoCAD in class, that may be an issue.

I was just about to say the exact thing.

Sorry, I didn't know what AutoCAD was. But if it is not terribly intensive you could try an older 'high power' lenovo or something you can get some at pretty nice prices for those.

I would other wise recommend taking a look at eBay deals in laptops.

sorry I didn't see that but yeah those are nice laptops, I would still recommend an older lenovo y510p it has SLI and some nice reviews.

They are quite a bit more expensive, and I think an 860m would be a lot more power efficient/reliable. Just my personal preference though.

They are quite a bit more expensive, and I think an 860m would be a lot more power efficient/reliable. Just my personal preference though.

Really? I thought they where a generation old and would be a bit cheaper.

For a nice budget option you could go for the asus T100, it has an intel atom quad core at 1.3 ghz, I would place it on a graphical level between the i3 and i5, it plays portal 2, tf2, dota 2, GTA San Andreas, and of course HL2.  It has eleven hours of battery life, and is nice for all the word processing and heavy cad programs to throw at it, 64 gb ssd, 500gb hard drive, one usb port, one microsd reader, and is extremely lighweight

For a nice budget option you could go for the asus T100, it has an intel atom quad core at 1.3 ghz, I would place it on a graphical level between the i3 and i5, it plays portal 2, tf2, dota 2, GTA San Andreas, and of course HL2.  It has eleven hours of battery life, and is nice for all the word processing and heavy cad programs to throw at it, 64 gb ssd, 500gb hard drive, one usb port, one microsd reader, and is extremely lighweight

I have a nicely built up dell inspirion (i3, hd graphics 16gbs of ram ssd) and I would think that if that would not cut it then neither would this but who knows...

looking at the benchmarks, you are correct, but if he wants an extremely cheap laptop, he could go with the t100.

I have a nicely built up dell inspirion (i3, hd graphics 16gbs of ram ssd) and I would think that if that would not cut it then neither would this but who knows...

I try to spend less on the laptop & more on the gaming desktop if all I'm doing with the laptop is taking notes or Web browsing. But pretty much same idea I have with me

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

looking at the benchmarks, you are correct, but if he wants an extremely cheap laptop, he could go with the t100.

I don't mean to keep arguing the same point but I personally think you could get better bang for your buck with a different laptop, you could also go bigger but I know that even my dell is really not nice to carry about. Alternatively you could look at the used/refurbished market for better prices.

If you do want to spend a thousand dollars on a laptop you could look at a Dell xps 13/12 or for more power but less bling factor a mid range non gaming oriented laptop with a dual core i5/i7 and then just put parts in because usually they are more upgrade ready than an ultra book or high/mid level gaming laptop. Just my two cents.