Toyota's New Cars Will Have A Nexus 7 Built Right Into The Dashboard

Plasma

mbgdypjotkrddof4sp43.jpg

Having a 7-inch tablet slotted into your car’s dashboard just makes so much sense. It would be an elegant solution to craptastic GPS systems and clunky entertainment options. Toyota thinks so too. Its latest cars in Taiwan come with a Nexus 7 built right in.

Toyota partnered with Asus-owned Unimax to create something known as the Toyota Intelligent System (TIS), which is essentially a regular Nexus 7 tablet customised with voice-recognition, multimedia offering, a 4G connection and all the Google Maps goodness that comes with it.

The best part about the system is that over time, as better tablets come along, you can quickly swap in different models and be up-to-date.

No word on which cars will come with the Nexus yet. We just have to wait. [Slash Gear]

Source http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/08/toyotas-new-cars-will-have-a-nexus-7-built-right-into-the-dashboard/

Finally. Modular car GPS and screens.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Now only if Tesla would learn from Toyota as that massive 17" screen in the Model S with that horrid UI needs to go.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Now only if Tesla would learn from Toyota as that massive 17" screen in the Model S with that horrid UI needs to go.

you serious? The fuck

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

agreed, we need a 27" 1440p IPS panel in there!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

For all the Nexus 7s that didn't sell there's a Toyota waiting for them, nice.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Yay! If only I bought my 2010 Corolla later.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

you serious? The fuck

There's just something not right about it, probably because the screen is too big IMO a 11''-15'' screen would be better and the UI is still pretty ugly/clunking in a lot of parts but those can be overlooked for the most part if it was Android then it'd be my sensible "dream car" that's affordable.

It looks very cheaply implemented.

But nonetheless, this is a trend seen among a lot of brands nowadays.

Have you used one for an extended amount of time? I personally think what they did in the model s works great.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Have you used one for an extended amount of time? I personally think what they did in the model s works great.

Only for a bit, I does work great it's just not as slick as I would of liked and it's not Android which would have been amazing but for the price of the car your getting a lot considering most of the features are usually only see on cars 2-3 times more expensive.

Model S looks awfully tacky with that vertical screen, if they would cut the bottom off it would probably be a lot nicer

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Sooo....Did I waste my time?

jOJyIEI.jpg

Rig: Intel Core i5 3570k , 16GB Corsair Vengeance , Gigabyte G1. Sniper 3 , EVGA GTX780 SLI, Asus Xonar STX , Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1TB WD BLACK , 1TB Seagate Barracuda , 4TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitors: X-STAR 30" 2560x1440 IPS

Peripherals: Logitech G9x Mouse, Corsair K9% RGB, Logitech Z623 Speakers, V-MODA Crossfade LP2's with Boom Pro Mic.

Android car anyone?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Too bad Toyota cars look crap and I have heard a lot of people complain about them, I would much rather wait for Android Auto as the whole VW group teamed up with Google.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I don't see the point of being able to easily take it out of the "dock", it's not going to be upgradable anyway, unless Google decided all the following Nexus 7 revisions will be the same dimensions.

Too bad Toyota cars look crap and I have heard a lot of people complain about them, I would much rather wait for Android Auto as the whole VW group teamed up with Google.

Toyota does not look like crap. I really enjoy the new Corolla redesign, as well as their 4x4 lineup.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't see the point of being able to easily take it out of the "dock", it's not going to be upgradable anyway, unless Google decided all the following Nexus 7 revisions will be the same dimensions.

If they maintain a standard on the dimensions or if Toyota supply a shim/fitting kit then it's not a problem.

I think it's great to be able to remove the central GPS/audio/tv/phone/message service and upgrade without have to buy a new car.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So you get a free tablet with a car?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I love this idea, can't believe it didn't happen sooner. I've never used a stock GPS that worked very well...

Hopefully you can cache a region so you don't always need data.

Sooo....Did I waste my time?

Going off topic a bit here, but I bought a Legacy GT because of you.  :P

I fell in love with the car after seeing your build guide on the Nexus 7 install. I've scrapped the plans to install a Nexus 7 though, its like $600 just for the dash kit to put a radio in because my dual climate control and radio are one unit...

And now we wait for the "Don't text while you drive!" ad machine to get a hold of this and spread mass hysteria.

YASSSS this is what they need to do. Love Toyota cars and can't wait for their rumored Sports Car. JDM ftw.

Project Restomod (In progress)