My first PC build

It's actually funny. I was just about to post this, I had it all typed out, I clicked, "Preview post" and... The website went down. So here's hoping I can get my questions out there haha. So I'm currently using a laptop. It's a Dell XPS L702X that I got about two years ago. For a laptop, I suppose it isn't bad, although I'm having heating issues that are just causing me to give up and finally build my first desktop. In case you're wondering, using HWmonitor to check the temps, my computer was reaching 90 degrees Celsius. To add to my issue, the heating is literally right under the A key as well as the caps lock and the fan is right beside it. I've burnt my hand playing games in the past, but because of the heating I can only play games for roughly an hour and also rendering a video for YouTube has become harder and harder as I'm sure I'm roasting the inside. So all of that ramble aside; I've decided to build a desktop PC. I haven't ordered the parts yet, I will in about a month or two, and because of that my choices are subject to change, especially with all of the rumours of upcoming hardware, but I wanted to post the parts I had in mind and hopefully get suggestions on what to add, take away, or if this is good for what I was hoping for, which is solid 1080p gaming (Which I haven't really done ever, and I'm excited for that, because 1600x900 just doesn't seem... Enough) and I also am hoping for light video editing (Just a half an hour or so video in 720p or 1080p of my Let's Play.) Here are the parts I had in mind.

SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 2.5in 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 4K HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard

Graphics Card - ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Poseidon 1006MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card 

HDD - Western Digital Green 4TB SATA3 6GB/S Intellipower 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive HDD 

RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit 

Power Supply - Antec High Current Gamer 750W 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply 

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 1366/1150/1155/1156/2011 

CPU - Intel Core i7 4790K Unlocked Quad Core HT 4GHZ/4.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache Retail

Case (I don't actually know why I'm including this, I guess just to show you what I'm putting all of these parts into) - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 High Airflow Mid-Tower Case ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT 2XUSB3.0 No PS Black 

So all I'm asking I suppose is... What are your thoughts?

1. Change the CPU cooler to a closed loop liquid cooler

2. Get a different PSU (Coolermaster or Corsair or EVGA)

3. Get a different GTX 780 as you are not watercooling. (http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-780-oc-af-88434-1046.htm)

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I don't get why you are using the  Poseidon as you are not water cooling.

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

I would get an expandable AIO (H220 or H220X), get a second radiator with proper tubes, fittings and new liquid cooling fluid to attach the Poseidon and put it into a different case, but that's just me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's great, the only thing that i would change is the psu to a evga g2 750w one.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-750-g2-80-f0-94405-1360.htm

^ Or one of the new Coolermaster V series. They be pretty crazy.

widget.png?style=banner2

I'll admit, I'm shallow. The reason for the PSU is because of the colors, black and red, just like the rest of the build. I also have black and red fans, even red LED ones. I'll admit it's shameful, but I will look for another psu as well as power supply, thank you everybody. * Haha as for the graphics card, I love the design of the Poseidon and I remember it being both water cooled and air cooled, although I may go to water cooling once I get comfortable.

The only thing I would suggest would be to swap over the GPU's to the eVGA one, unless your planning to water cool later on. Minor point but its money saved.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

3. Get a different GTX 780 as you are not watercooling. (http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-780-oc-af-88434-1046.htm)

The 212 evo is a great cooler, if he isn't doing insane overclocking he will be perfectly fine with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Get a different 780 and change the psu because you definitely cheaped out there. Get a Corsair gold rated psu, an 860i would be a great choice if you wanted th black and red. :D

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

accually, no, closed loops are only really better in hotter enviroments. a H100i is around $90(i think) and the noctua nh-d14 is like $70 and it will kill the H100i in most cases

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Hi,
I would like to give you a little advice here. If you plan to install games or more demanding software on the HDD drive, think about getting a WD Blue or, even better, the WD Black.  The Green drives are designed for storage purposes, like saving photos, documents, videos, etc. Getting a different type of HDD  may increase you performance. The WD Blue is meant to be used as everyday computing drive and the WD Black is especially designed for solid gaming and high performance. I leave you link with more details.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/ - difference between WD drives

Hope I helped.

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

accually, no, closed loops are only really better in hotter enviroments. a H100i is around $90(i think) and the noctua nh-d14 is like $70 and it will kill the H100i in most cases

To be honest, I think closed loop coolers look way better then air ones. :P

widget.png?style=banner2

I'll admit, I'm shallow. The reason for the PSU is because of the colors, black and red, just like the rest of the build. I also have black and red fans, even red LED ones. I'll admit it's shameful, but I will look for another psu as well as power supply, thank you everybody. * Haha as for the graphics card, I love the design of the Poseidon and I remember it being both water cooled and air cooled, although I may go to water cooling once I get comfortable.

The Antec is a quality power supply. There is no need to change it if it fits in with your colour scheme. The only slight downside is the efficiency, but that isn't much of an issue.

Get a different 780 and change the psu because you definitely cheaped out there. Get a Corsair gold rated psu, an 860i would be a great choice if you wanted th black and red. :D

Hm.. I tried taking that into account, and I found a new website that's better for me with prices (If you know of Canadian prices on these things... Yeah...) Anyway I found an AXI that suits me, it's a 760w but it's a platinum instead of a gold, it's called, "Corsair AX760 760W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan" May I ask if that's what you meant? o:

Hm.. I tried taking that into account, and I found a new website that's better for me with prices (If you know of Canadian prices on these things... Yeah...) Anyway I found an AXI that suits me, it's a 760w but it's a platinum instead of a gold, it's called, "Corsair AX760 760W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan" May I ask if that's what you meant? o:

Looks good to me,  go with that then

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

He didn't cheap out on the psu. The Antec is a very good psu, and is made by arguably the best oem in Delta.

How much is the AX760 compared to the Antec ?

He didn't cheap out on the psu. The Antec is a very good psu, and is made by arguably the best oem in Delta.

It was just a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the build.

It was just a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the build.

It is actually quite expensive for a Bronze rated unit if you compare it to something like the EVGA Supernova G2 750W which is fully modular and gold rated and is listed as $99.99 on ncix. The Antec is a very good psu though, so if the op wants a Black/Red psu then it will be fine.

Having said all that, the Corsair AX760 which is also very good is only $35 more and you get a bit more warranty, and obviously it is more efficient. I suppose it comes down to what the op wants to spend.

It is actually quite expensive for a Bronze rated unit if you compare it to something like the EVGA Supernova G2 750W which is fully modular and gold rated and is listed as $99.99 on ncix. The Antec is a very good psu though, so if the op wants a Black/Red psu then it will be fine.

Having said all that, the Corsair AX760 which is also very good is only $35 more and you get a bit more warranty, and obviously it is more efficient. I suppose it comes down to what the op wants to spend.

I was hoping to not spend more than 3 thousand as the total, which I'm still under although just slightly with the monitor and case and everything else. (I'm completely barren with anything except for a mouse and a headset, everything else is a laptop so I can't really use anything from it)

Edit: I've now run into a problem; a Corsair AX760 or AX760i, what's the difference? s:

I don't mean to double post; I have a final solution (Hopefully) for my computer; almost. Reading everything that was posted was a big help and it took a lot of debating. If you see anything out of place, please tell me or give me hints. :) So... Without further ado, here you go:

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Poseidon 1006MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card 

(I'll write this in here, I'm debating the Poseidon or the Direct CUII ... At the moment, both would be air cooled. I'm new to building and water cooling makes me nervous so I don't know if I'll start trying or not. I might, might not, depending.)

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Unlocked Quad Core HT 4GHZ/4.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache Retail 

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 4K HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 1366/1150/1155/1156/2011 

(I've seen the comments for this, swapping this out for something like the H100i, and the minor point is money saved. I wont be doing massive overclocking considering the 4790k is clocked at 4GHz stock so this is really all I need, and if I wish to overclock a tiny bit, Cooler Master should suffice.)

Power Supply: Corsair AX760 760W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan 

Solid State Drive (Boot Drive): Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5in SATA3 SandForce SF-2281 SSD Drive READ:555MB/S WRITE:510MB/S

(This was the same price as the 850, so I may need some thoughts on this as well.)

Hard Drive 1 (Gaming Storage; Probably Steam and Origin): Western Digitial WD2003FZEX Black 2TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in Hard Drive OEM 

Hard Drive 2 (Everything Else I feel like having lying around): Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5in 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive 

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 High Airflow Mid-Tower Case ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT 2XUSB3.0 No PS Black 

Monitor: _______ (There's nothing actually here yet. I'm still debating. I'm thinking about the AOC 67 AOC I2267FW 22IN TFT LCD LED IPS 5ms 50M:1 1920x1080

Simply, I'm looking for a good 1920x1080 IPS monitor with good response time, what do you guys think?)

Other than all that... I have a few case fans picked out, just Corsair quiet fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 120MM 1100RPM 39.88CFM 21DBA Airflow Cooling Fan Dual Pack 

(A Dual pack, and a single for the three fans on the inside of the case; I'm also debating getting LED ones for the front and maybe LED inside the case at some point.)

All of that, not including the monitor, is 2,119.87 ... After shipping and taxes and additional insurance with express RMA it comes to 2,614.95. I guess the point of my super long post is to ask if this is worth it, if I'm going to buy this and still play new games for at least a couple of years, or if I should hold back on some things. Please let me know your opinions. :)