Chinese Theaters Test System of Onscreen Text Messages During Movies

snowComet

Hollywood Reporter, Cinema in major cities of China have started to testing the "bullet screen", which audience can text comments of the film ,and it will be shown on-screen, like this: 

on-screen-texts.jpg

Sensitive or forbidden words like swearing would be removed before showing it on screen, and those “bullet information” was sent by SMS at 0.1 yuan, around 10 cents, per message. This involves a number of theaters in China, including in Beijing and Shanghai, but also in smaller cities such as Hangzhou.

Theaters in major Chinese cities have starting experimenting with “bullet screens” on which audiences can send text messages commenting on the film, which are then projected directly onto the screen.

If you're sensitive to people using their cellphones during a movie, then going to the movie theater in China would be far from relaxing experience. Rows of underlit faces and chiming ringtones punctuate the show, despite requests asking patrons to turn their phones before the movie begins.

This experience is set to become institutionalized during some movies for younger viewers who can’t spend five minutes away from their tablet or phone, according to a report in the China Youth Daily.

The inspiration behind the idea appears to be that it mimicks that of watching a movie on mobile media, which is how most Chinese people watch films, with people sending messages about what they like or dislike about the movie.

In a censored environment like China, precautions are taken to remove sensitive or forbidden words.

There are several Chinese movie websites, based on a Japanese idea of bullet screens, where viewers can spend their whole time making remarks on the film via SMS.

The experiment involves a number of theaters in China, including in Beijing and Shanghai, but also in smaller cities such as Hangzhou.

Earlier this month, the Luxin cinema in Shandong province in northeast China tried the system with a screening of the domestic 3D animated movie The Legend of Qin, a TV adaptation that has taken $9.25 million in box office in China so far.

The manager, surnamed Zhang, said the theater was 90 percent occupied and that “bullet information” was sent by SMS at 0.1 yuan, around 10 cents, per message.

“People like it right now, as it’s a new thing," he said. "In the long term, it might affect people’s concentration. We are trying to continue with some bullet screen activities and play some films that young people like. Time will tell.”

Shen Leping, director of The Legend of Qin, is very enthusiastic about it, ran a report on the Nanfang website.

“We are exploring how the response from the audience can affect the movie itself… We are, in fact, putting the director and viewer on equal terms, and I think many of the opinions of the viewers are very helpful for film makers,” he said.

Fellow film director He Ping, formerly head of the China Film Directors Guild, said that no way could what was being screened be changed by the audiences.

“A film with bullet screen must be authorized by the writer when they sign a contract with the producer,” said He.

On the social media sites, the reaction was mixed.

“I hope bullet screens don’t become big in Chinese cinemas to help save poor Chinese films,” Hesheng commented on Sina Weibo, while Riya Sang wrote: “I don’t like bullet screens. The point of watching a film in the theater is to put away whatever is in your hand and focus on the film. Sometimes, it blocks the screen.”

Jinxi Hexi WY also wasn’t a fan. “When the audience complains during the screening, it interrupts our independent thinking and affects our concentration on the film. I don’t like it.”

But others enjoyed the interactivity.

“This is a real way of watching a film. For us, it is exciting and fun,” wrote Xu Huilin. “It is a reform in terms of the commercial model. It is just like when popcorn got into cinema for the first time, a lot of people protested that it would affect the film viewing experience.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-theaters-test-system-onscreen-726204

http://in.ign.com/entertainment/62986/news/china-testing-allowing-audiences-to-text-onscreen

Prepare for the theater trolls...

50695160.jpg

I would hate it.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

People wouldn't care about the movie. they'd just tink around with their friends.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I would just copy paste Kendrick Lamar lyrics in there while some random Chinese romance movie is on. Most everyone would be confused.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I would just copy paste Kendrick Lamar lyrics in there while some random Chinese romance movie is on. Most everyone would be confused.

and this is what I was talking about...

I feel like this is the worst thing to come to movies since George Lucas was unchained.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This is a horrible idea for 2 reason:

1) Nobody will use this seriously. People will more than likely be writing obtrusive things such as spoilers and annoying phrases/ascii art (dare I even elaborate?).

2) It takes away from the viewing experience of the film. I love watching movies, but I do NOT want to see somebody's thoughts pop up on the screen. It doesn't immerse me in the film and would make me enjoy it less.

COMIC SANS

Seriously? That would move people's attention from the movie to the fucking texts... China, this is a bad fucking idea.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Seriously? That would move people's attention from the movie to the fucking texts... China, this is a bad fucking idea.

It's a bad idea? You know what that means, coming to California by the end of the decade because "oh it's so cool man, they do it in china, it's so unlike stupid western culture.....maaaan...."

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

then we also show poeple gaming and rename it twitch!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

It's a bad idea? You know what that means, coming to California by the end of the decade because "oh it's so cool man, they do it in china, it's so unlike stupid western culture.....maaaan...."

lol Sounds like a stereotypical Californian over-tanned surfer dude.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is a horrible idea for 2 reason:

1) Nobody will use this seriously. People will more than likely be writing obtrusive things such as spoilers and annoying phrases/ascii art (dare I even elaborate?).

2) It takes away from the viewing experience of the film. I love watching movies, but I do NOT want to see somebody's thoughts pop up on the screen. It doesn't immerse me in the film and would make me enjoy it less.

1) its China, most of them wouldn't dishonor their family just to mess around

2) completely right

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

8=====D

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

I think this would be better for home viewing of shows and movies and have it be optional if it appears on screen at all and do not let it cover the entire freaking movie or show for crying out loud.  Interesting China but you didn't get the idea quite right.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

In America there is a short video telling you to turn off your cell phone before the movie.

In China they want you to be an annoying dick that's texting, and then it will show up on the screen. WHAT? 

Some asshole would just text the ending to the screen

I thought phones were not allowed in cinemas?  since when can people just sit texting on their phone at the movies

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8=====D

Must be bigger.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.