KHRONOS publishes slides about OPENGL-NEXT

bogus

Here are some of the features:

- OpenGL-Next is a ground-up design of a modern 3D+Compute API and will break compatibility with existing OpenGL implementations. 

- The new API seeks to unify OpenGL and OpenGL ES API -- one API to rule both desktop and mobile worlds. 

- There will be explicit control over GPU and CPU workloads with the application/game expressing to the driver what it wants. 

- The new API will be high performance and predictable. 

- The new API will be multi-threading and multi-core friendly with great reductions to the CPU overhead. 

- There will be a common shading language intermediate representation (IR) for greater reliability and portability. 

- Like OpenGL, the new API will be architecture-neutral with full support for tile-based rendering and direct rendering. 

- There will be enhanced conformance testing. 

- This new initiative is "NOT" going to be a "multi-year, design-by-committee process." 

SOURCE: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2ODQ

Slides can be found here: https://www.khronos.org/developers/library/2014-siggraph-bof

I wouldn't be surprised if mantle is integrated in this.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

that's awesome, integrating desktop and mobile into 1 should streamline things a lot

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sounds awesome. We really need a good and open low level API that's cross compatible.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

well they already have full access to it

why not then,

AMD did all the work already

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

that's a pretty safe bet,  It will be interesting to see the finished product.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well they already have full access to it

why not then,

AMD did all the work already

they did the work on the renderer. an api is much more than just a renderer ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Mantle won't be in it per say. Amd gave them mantle and said they can use the same approach so chances are it will be very similar to mantle in it approach.

Good stuff. OpenGL needed this overhaul badly. If they do this right and make it dev friendly we may have one API to rule them all. Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, IOS, android...

I think they will take certain approaches and learnings from the Mantle project, but not integrate Mantle.

I think they will take certain approaches and learnings from the Mantle project, but not integrate Mantle.

currently, mantle only supports GCN anyway, so no way they would just chuck it in, they just got access to it, so they can learn from it, and incorporate the ideas. 

ive no idea how people still claim mantle is DX12/oGL when those two are meant to be cross platform, and mantle is currently designed to only work on GCN...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

currently, mantle only supports GCN anyway, so no way they would just chuck it in, they just got access to it, so they can learn from it, and incorporate the ideas. 

ive no idea how people still claim mantle is DX12/oGL when those two are meant to be cross platform, and mantle is currently designed to only work on GCN...

The AMD guy Richard Huddy said in the Maximum PC interview that Nvidia's current GPU hardware could (if given permission) use Mantle and that all would be needed is for them to build a driver for it.

here is the segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fZGV5z8YFM8#t=1544

The AMD guy Richard Huddy said in the Maximum PC interview that Nvidia's current GPU hardware could (if given permission) use Mantle and that all would be needed is for them to build a driver for it.

here is the segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fZGV5z8YFM8#t=1544

interesting. maybe more of mantle is implemented then. but it sure as hell isnt just chucked in there as is...

This can be found in Johan Andersson Mantle presentatitions:

multivendor.jpg

Source: http://techreport.com/news/25651/mantle-to-power-15-frostbite-games-dice-calls-for-multi-vendor-support

Mantle was designed with Multi-Vendor support in mind. But like you said Mantle itself, currently, only supports GCN.

@LukaP AMD didn't work on the/a renderer, they designed an API. Dice and the starswarm guys implemented mantles APIs into their renderers.

To be fair, OpenCL is solely a "rendering" language. But anything that can be abstracted to matrix algebra can be abstracted to "rendering" as computational problem solving.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This can be found in Johan Andersson Mantle presentatitions:

[...]

Source: http://techreport.com/news/25651/mantle-to-power-15-frostbite-games-dice-calls-for-multi-vendor-support

Mantle was designed with Multi-Vendor support in mind. But like you said Mantle itself, currently, only supports GCN.

Well yeah, AMD isn't going to do ALL of nVidia's work for them :P

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

^^There is no doubt that Nvidia could implement a Mantle driver. But that doesn't mean they should. Personally I do not think they should. Why would they want to support an API which is fully controlled by their direct competitor. It's asking for trouble and they will always be one step behind responding in a reactive manner while trying to compete with AMD who is ahead of the curve. What we need is for both AMD and Nvidia to throw their weight behind openGL next.

There is no doubt that Mantle has had an extremely positive impact on the industry, it's been a great proof of concept. And it has pushed the directX and OpenGL guys in the correct direction to achieve better multithreading and less CPU overhead. AMD can continue to use Mantle in this manner as an experimental platform. It doesn't need to be adopted by others.

^^^^

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Below are the contributors

2014-08-10_1141.png?w=738

Everyone except MS :D LOL Directx big fail!! fuck windows!!  Soon we will have choice which platform to use for gaming, and i am sure that my choice will be linux :)

VALVE, AMD.  respect!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Everyone except MS :D LOL Directx big fail!! fuck windows!!  Soon we will have choice which platform to use for gaming, and i am sure that my choice will be linux :)

VALVE, AMD.  respect!

I do not really like Linux although I am happy its free

I want OSX :( but on my own hardware

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

VALVE, AMD.  respect!

obviously MS didnt contribute -.- and there is still that thing called developer adoption. most devs are used to DX, and will continue to use that, with not many rewriting everything for oGL as well. unless oGL brings something to the table that wipes the floor with DX

I do not really like Linux although I am happy its free

I want OSX :( but on my own hardware

its good (ubuntu and its derivatives) but the problem is lack of programs compiled for it

its good (ubuntu and its derivatives) but the problem is lack of programs compiled for it

Not if you are dumb and rubbish at computers like me 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not if you are dumb and rubbish at computers like me 

seriously? xubuntu is almost as intuitive as windows :P