gpu throttling during folding

ok so i was having throttling issues wiht my r9-290x's and i realized the fans werent ramping up like they should so i made a manual fan curve with msi afterburner and it was working great and they both were running 1ghz at about 85C. but then i restarted and it keeps throttling again but the temps are still 85C. not quite sure whats cuasing the throttle this time. any ideas would be appreciated.

Increase the power limit

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hmmm went the max that afterburner would let me and nothing has changed still throttling..... im gunna try unistalling afterburner and see if thats the reason...

and now i unistalled it and also noticed that one that was not set to uber mode and so it didnt allow the fan to go beyond a certain point and changed that but the 290x fan profile thats built in blows and it was still throttleing but was a bit better and so now i installed afterburner again and used my own fan curve and its still throttling at 80-90C i dont like new gpus much anymore why cant i just tell it to run at a speed and it just runs at that speed and not play these stupid games and drop down and try to save power or what not. cuase its running at a comfitable temp but still drops to 900mhz like every other minute. can i just turn off all power saving features. i hate these power saving features. i remeber back in the day with my hd4850 running that thing at 100C almost constently and it never droped a mhz during the whole time and it still works to this day. though i am no longer overclocking that card as it dont have much use anymore. cant fold :(    ok rant over ill just deal with the stupid modern age of technology.