Help! My HDD just got fried. :(

AfroLedgend
Go to solution Solved by FizzyFantom,

Sorry if I wasn't clear this is what I meant in my original post, I will try putting it in a different system and check if it works my only problem is I don't have a desktop; the drive was a laptop backup and media storage drive. Also the drive enclosure is a Seagate thing and I can't see any screws on it.

I have one of these Seagate external drives (or one of the old design, but the new one looks similar) and I ripped the drive out of it. You can pick up another USB drive adapter here:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Converter-Adapter-Cable-included/dp/B005B3VO24/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408617555&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+to+sata+adapter

Or an external HDD enclosure if you wish to invest:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-3-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-3US35/dp/B003CJQ69A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408617519&sr=8-2&keywords=external+hdd+enclosure

If you have a friend with a desktop who will let you test it I recommend you do that before you spend any money, but these will work for you if you want to replace the external enclosure.

Edit: Here is a video of someone opening the enclosure:

Basically just prise the top part away from the bottom gently with a wide flat screwdriver or something similar.

So the one I don't plug my external 1TB HDD into the surge protector and it gets fried. It was plugged into a normal wall outlet and then out of nowhere I heard a pop sound from the socket and the drive died. Is there any way it can be salvaged? Please I need any help and if not thanks anyway.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

plug hdd into wall???? the thefug? eh good luck....very doubtfull, U Should have had a backup. :P

Salvaged, as in the data or the drive itself?

You might be able to get some data off it by sending it to a company who specializes in that kind of stuff. As for the drive, not some much

Look at the bright side,

This could be your excuse to get an SSD

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

You might be able to get some data off it by sending it to a company who specializes in that kind of stuff. As for the drive, not some much

Look at the bright side,

This could be your excuse to get an SSD

external ssd? lol

external ssd? lol

Yes. Im serious. http://www.newegg.com/External-SSDs/SubCategory/ID-2022

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

plug hdd into wall????

They mean an external HDD with a DC adapter.

OP, if it isn't working as an external drive there is a chance that it just blew the DC adapter or the adapter curcuit board in the external case. If you feel confident that it's dead then you should open it and see if the HDD works as an internal drive, it should just have a standard SATA interface.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

If you're ballsy, take it apart and pop it in your system to see if it works.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why did you plug it in the wall in the first place?

You can follow the steps that @FizzyFantom said to see if the hdd still works.

They mean an external HDD with a DC adapter.

OP, if it isn't working as an external drive there is a chance that it just blew the DC adapter or the adapter curcuit board in the external case. If you feel confident that it's dead then you should open it and see if the HDD works as an internal drive, it should just have a standard SATA interface.

Sorry if I wasn't clear this is what I meant in my original post, I will try putting it in a different system and check if it works my only problem is I don't have a desktop; the drive was a laptop backup and media storage drive. Also the drive enclosure is a Seagate thing and I can't see any screws on it.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

I have one of these Seagate external drives (or one of the old design, but the new one looks similar) and I ripped the drive out of it. You can pick up another USB drive adapter here:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Converter-Adapter-Cable-included/dp/B005B3VO24/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408617555&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+to+sata+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-3-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-3US35/dp/B003CJQ69A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408617519&sr=8-2&keywords=external+hdd+enclosure

If you have a friend with a desktop who will let you test it I recommend you do that before you spend any money, but these will work for you if you want to replace the external enclosure.

Basically just prise the top part away from the bottom gently with a wide flat screwdriver or something similar.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Ok that's great, I've got it open but a few of the clips broke but I don't really care. I'll probably go with one of those USB to SATA adapters if it's still working thanks.