1GB OR 2GB?

Indus Monk

If you are not planning on overclocking or upgrading to a SLI setup you can run a GTX750ti on 350W Power Supply. I would recommend at least a GTX750ti for you PC, if you can afford i go for a 450W Psu with that.

750TIs Don't have the option to SLI, so there really is no point in such a large PSU with it. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

That's not how it works. The card won't even use 1GB Vram. Even if it could it would be so slow that the game would be a slide show and unplayable/enjoyable.

It's a 128-bit mem bus, right? The 750Ti uses its 2GB on its 128-bit mem bus just fine... and its memory isn't that much faster than the 650's. I'm fairly sure it can fill 2GB vRAM. UNLESS the 2GB 650 has a significantly lower memory clock. My old 280M with a 950MHz memory clock, 256-bit GDDR3 was able to use its entire 1GB of RAM, and that has less memory. bandwidth, so your saying the 650 won't use 1GB vRAM is a moot point there.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

750TIs Don't have the option to SLI, so there really is no point in such a large PSU with it. 

Can they really not SLI? The 860M 2GB cards can; would be weird if the desktop variant of the card couldn't O_O.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

GTX 750 = Unaffordable.....+ i may need a 650-700WATT PSU (which here in INDIA costs a lot)....

So you obviously don't know what the 750 Ti is then, it's a more powerful version of the 650Ti and comes in at half the power draw.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Can they really not SLI? The 860M 2GB cards can; would be weird if the desktop variant of the card couldn't O_O.

Yea, I honestly did not know until a few months ago. Here is a link to a Tom's Hardware thread discussing it. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2032317/gtx-750-sli-760-770.html

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

It's a 128-bit mem bus, right? The 750Ti uses its 2GB on its 128-bit mem bus just fine... and its memory isn't that much faster than the 650's. I'm fairly sure it can fill 2GB vRAM. UNLESS the 2GB 650 has a significantly lower memory clock. My old 280M with a 950MHz memory clock, 256-bit GDDR3 was able to use its entire 1GB of RAM, and that has less memory. bandwidth, so your saying the 650 won't use 1GB vRAM is a moot point there.

The only moot point would be trying to play games on a GTX 650 that would necessitate more than 1GB Vram as it would be like a slide show. The GPU core is not fast enough to deliver the framerates when playing modern high detail games that would use up lots of Vram.

The only moot point would be trying to play games on a GTX 650 that would necessitate more than 1GB Vram as it would be like a slide show. The GPU core is not fast enough to deliver the framerates when playing modern high detail games that would use up lots of Vram.

vRAM usage is related to size of textures and not very much to game performance in a lot of cases. You ARE correct to a point in that most demanding-enough games that would utilize such large textures won't be runnable on a 650; but not all. For example: CoD: Black Ops 2 will use 2GB vRAM with textures maxed, and will easily get 60fps constant. I know because my old 280M was able to do just that, even though I lowered all the other settings. My 780Ms now show a full 2GB being used from the game, so the 650 will be able to use it too. Another game that can do it is probably Arma 2. If you put it on the minimum settings, it'll run DayZ mods just fine on that card, but you can set video memory to "very high" (1500MB max) or "default" (~2600MB max) and it'll reduce texture popping and improve doing things like zooming in with a long-range rifle.

But yes, it can very much use all 2GB in some games. Of course, in games like Watch Dogs etc... you probably won't get playable framerates at all. But that's more due to unoptimizations on the game's part. GTA 4 should also use all the vRAM buffer, as I think you can turn up the settings fairly decently on a 650. It ran pretty well on old GTX 260s and all =D

vRAM usage is related to size of textures and not very much to game performance in a lot of cases. You ARE correct to a point in that most demanding-enough games that would utilize such large textures won't be runnable on a 650; but not all. For example: CoD: Black Ops 2 will use 2GB vRAM with textures maxed, and will easily get 60fps constant. I know because my old 280M was able to do just that, even though I lowered all the other settings. My 780Ms now show a full 2GB being used from the game, so the 650 will be able to use it too. Another game that can do it is probably Arma 2. If you put it on the minimum settings, it'll run DayZ mods just fine on that card, but you can set video memory to "very high" (1500MB max) or "default" (~2600MB max) and it'll reduce texture popping and improve doing things like zooming in with a long-range rifle.

But yes, it can very much use all 2GB in some games. Of course, in games like Watch Dogs etc... you probably won't get playable framerates at all. But that's more due to unoptimizations on the game's part. GTA 4 should also use all the vRAM buffer, as I think you can turn up the settings fairly decently on a 650. It ran pretty well on old GTX 260s and all =D

Vram does not make a GPU faster LOL.

Vram does not make a GPU faster LOL.

Exactly where did I say that? I said in Arma 2 setting a higher GPU memory usage allowance lets the game keep more textures in memory and reduce popping in when moving fast/zooming in with a high powered rifle. It made no difference to my FPS.

Exactly where did I say that? I said in Arma 2 setting a higher GPU memory usage allowance lets the game keep more textures in memory and reduce popping in when moving fast/zooming in with a high powered rifle. It made no difference to my FPS.

A GTX 650 or anything for that matter cannot run "Arma3" any good ... whats your point again ?

A GTX 650 or anything for that matter cannot run "Arma3" any good ... whats your point again ?

My point is, you're not reading my posts, quoting me incorrectly and denouncing my information. In other words, contributing nothing of substance.\

Oh, and you're wrong about vRAM too. There's that.

My point is, you're not reading my posts, quoting me incorrectly and denouncing my information. In other words, contributing nothing of substance.\

Oh, and you're wrong about vRAM too. There's that.

Ok then prove it.

*points at signature* take a read, would ya?

Ok GTX 650 cant run MLL maxed settings which needs less than a gig Vram even @ 1440P so what your point. Skyrim = no go with mods on 650 again what are you saying ?

I am gonna upgrade to a GTX 650.... Should I get a 1GB version or should i get a 2GB version???

For a 650 just go 1GB, you won't really be able to play @ 1080p even anyway with decent settings and framerates on modern games that would take more than 1GB.

Ok GTX 650 cant run MLL maxed settings which needs less than a gig Vram even @ 1440P so what your point. Skyrim = no go with mods on 650 again what are you saying ?

And again. vRAM usage != GPU drain. Dark Souls 2 at 4k res doesn't touch 1.4GB vRAM, but Titanfall at 1080p uses near 4GB. AND uses less GPU power.

Did I say a 650 can run games at max? No. I never said this.

Did I say it can use 2GB vRAM? Yes, I said this.

READ. And then learn. And then comment.

And again. vRAM usage != GPU drain. Dark Souls 2 at 4k res doesn't touch 1.4GB vRAM, but Titanfall at 1080p uses near 4GB. AND uses less GPU power.

So then we agree 650 2GB useless.

cus, 1gb isnt enough for gaming, 2gb can get some good fps 1gb = 0.0000000001 fps 

It does not matter on GTX 650 1 GB or 2 GB you still have 0.000000000001 FPS on that card. It's too weak.  you need to buy at least GTX 660 to play normally on full hd.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

So then we agree 650 2GB useless.

Holy crap guys the OP already made his decision 2 pages ago why are you all still arguing over nothing

Grow up and drop it

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Holy crap guys the OP already made his decision 2 pages ago why are you all still arguing over nothing

Grow up and drop it

Once again some noob don't know how shit works and runes it for everyone. What an asshole.

Once again some noob don't know how shit works and runes it for everyone. What an asshole.

Once again some noob *doesn't* know how *to spell* and ruins it for everyone. What an asshole.

Once again some noob *doesn't* know how *to spell* and ruins it for everyone. What an asshole.

Oh look we got a spelling nazi here everyone what a bad ass. Sorry for the typo and that it upset you so much you had to post about it. Please stop trolling.