1GB OR 2GB?

Indus Monk

I am gonna upgrade to a GTX 650.... Should I get a 1GB version or should i get a 2GB version???

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

WHY???

more vram is beneficial in modern games UP TO A POINT

and that point, currently at least, is 2gb

Edit: as everyone is saying, do yourself a favour and get at least a 750, or even better a 750ti

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

depends on the games but i would say 2GB because many new games take advantage of more vram

my 1.2GB of vram on my GTX 570 is always full when playing almost any game (AA off)

also PLEASE go with a  750Ti or even better an AMD 265 or a AMD 270

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

you'll hardly benefit from 2gb on a 650. I'm assuming you are getting the card for free, because a 750 would actually benefit from 2gb, and cost the same.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Can I ask why GTX 650 and not a GTX 750 :P?

GTX 750 = Unaffordable.....+ i may need a 650-700WATT PSU (which here in INDIA costs a lot)....

GTX 750 = Unaffordable.....+ i may need a 650-700WATT PSU (which here in INDIA costs a lot)....

umm you're trolling right?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125503&cm_re=gtx_750-_-14-125-503-_-Product

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

What's the difference between the 1GB 650 and the 2GB? Can you link us both?

Honestly, the more vRAM you can get the better in almost all cases, but if the 2GB card is somehow crippled (which could happen)... 

Anyway, I'm seeing that a 650 is within $20 USD of a 750Ti, so I don't know how that makes it unaffordable unless you're getting an insane deal on the 650.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I am gonna upgrade to a GTX 650.... Should I get a 1GB version or should i get a 2GB version???

For full-hd you should aim to get a 2GB vram graphics card borderline.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

i just looked at India prices, 750 is cheaper better price to performance.

750Ti 2GB vs 650 2GB

400W PSU would be enough for 750ti

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

more vram is beneficial in modern games UP TO A POINT

and that point, currently at least, is 2gb

Edit: as everyone is saying, do yourself a favour and get at least a 750, or even better a 750ti

GTX 650 is to weak to use even 1GB Vram let alone 2gb Vram.

It's not....

yeah, I meant to say better price to performance, haven't had a coffee yet.

Keep in mind that in other countries the pricing may differ. Here in Singapore, a MX100 costs $30 more than a Samsung 840 EVO because it's newer.

Honestly though the 750 is a much better card, so try to stretch that money to reach it! Save for a bit more if you can.

2GB is good for higher definition textures and screen display. I'd suggest getting 2GB, but again, a 750 would outperform the 650 by a mile, and the TDP of the 650 is 64W compared to the 55W of the 750 (It's vastly more power efficient) so you won't have to get a new PSU for it.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

WHY???

cus, 1gb isnt enough for gaming, 2gb can get some good fps 1gb = 0.0000000001 fps 

Its decided then........ i will buy a GTX 750ti 2GB GDDR5 instead of GTX650

GOD BLESS THIS COMMUNITY

Its decided then........ i will buy a GTX 750ti 2GB GDDR5 instead of GTX650

GOD BLESS THIS COMMUNITY

750ti would be better. The 650 was never a good card. Please take it easy with the god bless stuff as some people on these forums are agnostic and take offense to that.

If you are not planning on overclocking or upgrading to a SLI setup you can run a GTX750ti on 350W Power Supply. I would recommend at least a GTX750ti for you PC, if you can afford i go for a 450W Psu with that.

If you are not planning on overclocking or upgrading to a SLI setup you can run a GTX750ti on 350W Power Supply. I would recommend at least a GTX750ti for you PC, if you can afford i go for a 450W Psu with that.

But for him a 450W for a 750ti is a waste of money really, considering how expensive it is

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

don't worry my psu is 500W

GTX 650 is to weak to use even 1GB Vram let alone 2gb Vram.

I'm fairly certain the 650 can use 2GB of vRAM, since it's texture size more than anything else that determines the used vRAM (and not particularly how demanding a game is). Put Arma 2's DayZ mod (I suppose the Operation Arrowhead base game would do it too) on lowest graphics and set "video memory" to default and that thing will happily gobble 2.7GB of vRAM.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I'm fairly certain the 650 can use 2GB of vRAM, since it's texture size more than anything else that determines the used vRAM (and not particularly how demanding a game is). Put Arma 2's DayZ mod (I suppose the Operation Arrowhead base game would do it too) on lowest graphics and set "video memory" to default and that thing will happily gobble 2.7GB of vRAM.

That's not how it works. The card won't even use 1GB Vram. Even if it could it would be so slow that the game would be a slide show and unplayable/enjoyable.