PNY Optima SSD

LogicalDrm

I'm helping friend upgrade system and he saw this 480gb drive on sale for 180€. While competition is at 350€ I find price bit suspicious. I told him that this drive is on middle level, basicly same with my HyperX 3K. Any thoughts if this is good deal or not? I can still have him change the order.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IIRC, PNY was switching the consumer products with lower grade stuff, after getting good reviews and all that. May be wrong though.

IIRC, PNY was switching the consumer products with lower grade stuff, after getting good reviews and all that. May be wrong though.

I read that too. But was it mentioned which series were affected? I mean XLR8 is their better product line and Optima is the lower end stuff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Try and look for some reviews on the drive maybe. 180 euros seems sketchy as hell for a 480gb SSD, full stop, assuming my understanding of the european market is correct

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I'm helping friend upgrade system and he saw this 480gb drive on sale for 180€. While competition is at 350€ I find price bit suspicious. I told him that this drive is on middle level, basicly same with my HyperX 3K. Any thoughts if this is good deal or not? I can still have him change the order.

yeah that's a bit suspicious make sure it's not used or something.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

performance will not be up to par with the higher end brands, neither will reliability. it does have value though. as long as it doesn't fail on them, which is unlikely under most consumer workloads, most consumers won't know the difference in performance and won't use the missing features.

if he gets it and it lasts a month, it will probably last several years. I bought budget SSDs (a 96gb OCZ vertex 3 for $90 when any SSD under $140 was a good deal and a 120gb Agility 3 for $65 when 120gb under $100 was unheard of) and they are still kicking, the vertex 3 getting the most torture being in a PC that is always on and used as a media center in which live TV is being cached on the SSD for pausing and rewinding. now that I think of it, that's probably REALLY bad for a budget consumer SSD. I should check how much has been written to it. I'll bet it's over 50 TB by now

performance will not be up to par with the higher end brands, neither will reliability. it does have value though. as long as it doesn't fail on them, which is unlikely under most consumer workloads, most consumers won't know the difference in performance and won't use the missing features.

if he gets it and it lasts a month, it will probably last several years. I bought budget SSDs (a 96gb OCZ vertex 3 for $90 when any SSD under $140 was a good deal and a 120gb Agility 3 for $65 when 120gb under $100 was unheard of) and they are still kicking, the vertex 3 getting the most torture being in a PC that is always on and used as a media center in which live TV is being cached on the SSD for pausing and rewinding. now that I think of it, that's probably REALLY bad for a budget consumer SSD. I should check how much has been written to it. I'll bet it's over 50 TB by now

to be exact, 14000 power on hours and 11000GB written. that's 11 TB written to a budget SSD

PNY wasn't doing anything sketchy, people just misread shit. Kingston was actually swapping out components and advertising it as unchanged or something along those lines..

The drive is not terrible nor a bad deal at that price but I'd prefer to buy Crucial M500/550 for a bit more.

Edit: Kingston HyperX 3K drives weren't the screwed up ones, either.

Try and look for some reviews on the drive maybe. 180 euros seems sketchy as hell for a 480gb SSD, full stop, assuming my understanding of the european market is correct

Reviews from Tweaktown etc give high scores. Newegg has 3 starts, but I don't trust them to be very helpful since just slow delivery can be enough for bad review.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My friend has one, it is a pretty good budget SSD, and it does things pretty well, it is not a bad choice if your friend plans on getting it

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

PNY wasn't doing anything sketchy, people just misread shit. Kingston was actually swapping out components and advertising it as unchanged or something along those lines..

The drive is not terrible nor a bad deal at that price but I'd prefer to buy Crucial M500/550 for a bit more.

Edit: Kingston HyperX 3K drives weren't the screwed up ones, either.

v300 ones were however

why m500 or 550 when MX100 is dirt cheap

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=a6&qq=1&t=0

256 gb for 100$, put in raid 0 x 2

Actually what happened was PNY had to change the controller in an already reviewed drive. They didn't bother to tell anybody and it came out. The bad thing was it happened at the same time as the Kingston debacle and nobody was interested in realizing that the controller was better than the press samples. So they *improved* their drives and got tarred with the same brush as Kingston.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Just get mx100 512gb

its even cheaper and performs better

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Just get mx100 512gb

its even cheaper and performs better

That actually would be cheaper if PNY wasn't on sale, now its 20€ more expensive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv