Very Low FPS on Metro Last Light on High settings (SOLVED)

CyanOG
Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

Disable PhysX

First time playing the game and im getting 5-30 fps .. vsync is off and im really suprised i have a fx-8320 and r9 280 clocked at stock 980MHz and fans up to 70% the gpu is 60-75 when i play... so whats up im not having these problems playing games like sleeping dogs

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

What resolution are you playing at? Perhaps try lowering the settings?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What resolution are you playing at? Perhaps try lowering the settings?

I should not be getting these problems though i have a good gpu to handle 1080p and high ..

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

I overclocked the card to max and the fans as well and i got no fps difference ...

WTF.

I have mine set to high (granted I'm stuck at 720 >.<) and it runs just fine on my gtx660 with Vsync on, as well as triple buffering.

Edit: Also, I5 4690k

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It is a pretty difficult game to run 

well austin evans benchmarked older GPUs and got smooth results in his budget builds...

youre telling me i cant run metro last light simply on high on a $750 custom gaming pc.. im done :(

While I'm not confident at all that your system can run metro at high, the first mission in that game is poorly optimized. I ran it with a gtx 780 and couldn't get 60fps at 1080p. Once you get past the 1st mission it should be a bit better.

Disable PhysX

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

780 tis run that game at like 50 FPS it is so hard to run for some reason

Disable PhysX

Idk what a pleb is *looks up* oh :(

I disabled physex and lowered to Normal now I get 100 fps .. I wonder if I went back to high it would work well still .. Ooh what a relief

Idk what a pleb is *looks up* oh :(

I disabled physex and lowered to Normal now I get 100 fps .. I wonder if I went back to high it would work well still .. Ooh what a relief

Lol, my rig is worse than yours and i can max the game out with PhysX off, so i kinda knew what the problem was right away when reading the main post. 

And the term "pleb" is a loose term used in England when someone makes a mistake of some kind, in jest :P

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You don't need to disable Physx because your card is incapable of using it anyways. Your quality settings were just too high. The Metro series has always been like the Crysis series, super demanding even with the latest hardware, and a 280 is hardly the latest hardware since its just a refresh.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Your CPU isn't good enough. You need an i7 for that game, it's very unoptimized.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

You don't need to disable Physx because your card is incapable of using it anyways. Your quality settings were just too high. The Metro series has always been like the Crysis series, super demanding even with the latest hardware, and a 280 is hardly the latest hardware since its just a refresh.

Game looks very good on Normal anyways .. 41022-will-smith-I-aint-even-mad-tKbi.jp

Your CPU isn't good enough. You need an i7 for that game, it's very unoptimized.

An i5 should be more than enough.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

And the term "pleb" is a loose term used in England when someone makes a mistake of some kind, in jest :P

Pleb or Plebeian is an old school term used to describe a commoner. In modern dayz a home owning and or renter, tax paying working class poor blue collar average Joe could be said to be a ... "Pleb" short for Plebeian. Pleb is a bit of a derogatory term and more or less is like calling someone an mediocre idiot or Stooge.

I think there is a bug in the new 14.7 (and maybe earlier, I hadn't tried to play the game in a while). For some reason, my GPU won't spool up to it's regular clocks for this game. Once it passes the main menu, clocks drop to around 600Mhz and stay there. I get about 11fps. I played through the game around the holidays and it was fine at the same settings, and none of my other games are having issues. It may be something similar for you. Get something like afterburner that will give you a history of GPU clocks, and make sure yours is clocking up properly.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Dude, wait... what?

My i5 plays it fine in max settings except for AA.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Actually, you do. It is a well-known issue with this game that you must disable Physx as it tries to emulate in software. My 2x6950's can play this game in max settings save for AA, which is turned low.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Actually, you do. It is a well-known issue with this game that you must disable Physx as it tries to emulate in software. My 2x6950's can play this game in max settings save for AA, which is turned low.

I was about to say I thought the Metro series tried to force PhysX on the CPU with an AMD card.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I think there is a bug in the new 14.7 (and maybe earlier, I hadn't tried to play the game in a while). For some reason, my GPU won't spool up to it's regular clocks for this game. Once it passes the main menu, clocks drop to around 600Mhz and stay there. I get about 11fps. I played through the game around the holidays and it was fine at the same settings, and none of my other games are having issues. It may be something similar for you. Get something like afterburner that will give you a history of GPU clocks, and make sure yours is clocking up properly.

Disable PhysX

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you own a Nvidia Card, you will have to manually download the latest PhysX driver.  I am not sure why this is not automatic as part of GeForce's Update programs, its beyond me.  Anyways, I was having a similar issue with my i5-4670k + GTX 780.  You need to download the latest PhysX Driver, and viola! Everything is back to normal, running the game at Ultra settings, I have it at 2x instead of 4x though.  Getting about 40-45fps.  Very playable.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you own a Nvidia Card, you will have to manually download the latest PhysX driver.  I am not sure why this is not automatic as part of GeForce's Update programs, its beyond me.  Anyways, I was having a similar issue with my i5-4670k + GTX 780.  You need to download the latest PhysX Driver, and viola! Everything is back to normal, running the game at Ultra settings, I have it at 2x instead of 4x though.  Getting about 40-45fps.  Very playable.

I kind of want to try out Metro last light; maybe I'll pick up the redux on a good steam sale (as I don't own the base game). I hope it works well in 3D; I was able to get 2033 to run at ~50-70fps in 3D on max somehow, and THAT is one game everyone should play in 3D, my friends. Does it run significantly worse than 2033?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday