Basic dual monitor help

Babypowder

Hey there! 

So, I currently own a BenQ XL2411Z 144hz monitor. 

If I connect this monitor to a laptop through HDMI, will it have the 144hz display if I "extend" and make it a secondary monitor? Will the games display on the BenQ or in the

native laptop screen?

And lastly, if I get a second monitor, should I get the same exact BenQ XL2411Z monitor and how would I connect them? 
One over HDMI and the other over DVI? I know I'd have to game on 1, which is fine, but will both have to be connected like that? 

Thanks! 

Current Build:

CPU: Core i5-9600K MOBO: Asus strix z390-i RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3200mhz GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB & Samsung 1TB SSD Case: Louqe Ghost S1 Cooler: Noctua L12 - 92mm fan only PSU: Corsair SF600 Keybaord: Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red

Probably on your laptop, if the game doesn't have the option to switch, set the 144hz one as the main. and i  Believe you can use both hdmi and dvi same time. you could even get a usb monitor if u want, or multiple usb monitors. For example http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CPussui_oMACFSdp7AodMlUAUg&Item=9B-24-160-064&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-_-pla-_-LCD+%2f+LED+Monitors-_-9B-24-160-064&ef_id=U@6lyQAABcUTaAEr:20140819233845:s

Games will launch on your primary monitor. You can designate which monitor is your primary with Nvidia Control Panel/ Catalyst Control Center.

You can get whatever monitor you want, but for aesthetics etc, i'd get the same as your main screen tbh. 

You can connect one over HDMI, and one through DVI. If it doesn't have a DVI connector on the screen, you can get a VGA to DVI converter.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You have to set the BenQ Monitor as "main" to play on it.

OR

You could just set it to display only on "Monitor 2"

If you wanted another external monitor, you'd probably need a usb adapter since your laptop most likely only has one video output.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Games will launch on your primary monitor. You can designate which monitor is your primary with Nvidia Control Panel/ Catalyst Control Center.

You can get whatever monitor you want, but for aesthetics etc, i'd get the same as your main screen tbh. 

You can connect one over HDMI, and one through DVI. If it doesn't have a DVI connector on the screen, you can get a VGA to DVI converter.

You have to set the BenQ Monitor as "main" to play on it.

OR

You could just set it to display only on "Monitor 2"

If you wanted another external monitor, you'd probably need a usb adapter since your laptop most likely only has one video output.

Probably on your laptop, if the game doesn't have the option to switch, set the 144hz one as the main. and i  Believe you can use both hdmi and dvi same time. you could even get a usb monitor if u want, or multiple usb monitors. For example http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CPussui_oMACFSdp7AodMlUAUg&Item=9B-24-160-064&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-_-pla-_-LCD+%2f+LED+Monitors-_-9B-24-160-064&ef_id=U@6lyQAABcUTaAEr:20140819233845:s

Hey thanks for the quick responses! 

Dual monitor set up would go with a computer I am building for Christmas time. 

I plan on getting a GTX 780. If that is the case, then I'd need to connect the HDMI and VGA for 1 monitor each to the 780, correct?

I'd mess around with the nVidia control panel on the laptop to see if I can run my games on "Monitor 2"

or is there a specific place I have to go to tell my games to run on monitor 2 since I want the main monitor to be the native laptop one.

Current Build:

CPU: Core i5-9600K MOBO: Asus strix z390-i RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3200mhz GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB & Samsung 1TB SSD Case: Louqe Ghost S1 Cooler: Noctua L12 - 92mm fan only PSU: Corsair SF600 Keybaord: Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red

Since your desktop build will have a NVIDIA GTX 770, the control settings will be in the NVIDIA Control Panel.  FYI: with Nvidia, you cannot game on two monitors simultaneously, but you can with 3.  (Nvidia surround)

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Since your desktop build will have a NVIDIA GTX 770, the control settings will be in the NVIDIA Control Panel.  FYI: with Nvidia, you cannot game on two monitors simultaneously, but you can with 3.  (Nvidia surround)

Yes, I am ok with gaming on 1. 

I don't feel the need for 3 nor 2 simultaneous gaming displays. 

Thanks. 

Current Build:

Hey, random question to all of you. 

I have my monitor plugged in with HDMI to the laptop. 

I have it set as my primary and also not displaying the laptop screen. 

How can I set the refresh rate to 144? Can I only do that with DVI? 

Current Build:

analpowder, on 20 Aug 2014 - 1:26 PM, said:

Hey, random question to all of you. 

I have my monitor plugged in with HDMI to the laptop. 

I have it set as my primary and also not displaying the laptop screen. 

How can I set the refresh rate to 144? Can I only do that with DVI? 

I'm 99.9% sure you need a Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort cable for that

I'm 99.9% sure you need a Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort cable for that

So, can you answer this question that I have. 

How exactly do I connect two BenQ XL2411Z monitors to 1 GTX 780? 

What cables do I need? Any specific ones for the 144hz refresh rate (at least in on of them)? 

Please, if you can, can you provide a link to the cable on Newegg or Amazon? 

Im just really clueless when it comes to hooking up those 2 monitors to 1 single 780. 

Thanks man.

Current Build:

So, can you answer this question that I have. 

How exactly do I connect two BenQ XL2411Z monitors to 1 GTX 780? 

What cables do I need? Any specific ones for the 144hz refresh rate (at least in on of them)? 

Please, if you can, can you provide a link to the cable on Newegg or Amazon? 

Im just really clueless when it comes to hooking up those 2 monitors to 1 single 780. 

Thanks man.

Well a GTX 780 has 2x DVI Ports so use a Dual-Link DVI cable for each monitor.

Well a GTX 780 has 2x DVI Ports so use a Dual-Link DVI cable for each monitor.

Ah geez.. This may seem stupid to ask, but the 144hz refresh is done with the DVI right? 

Also, I can't seem to find (or know) the dual link DVI.. Is there a specific one? 

Current Build:

Ah geez.. This may seem stupid to ask, but the 144hz refresh is done with the DVI right? 

Also, I can't seem to find (or know) the dual link DVI.. Is there a specific one? 

Yep, it should work with Dual-Link DVI no problems.

The monitors should come with the cable.