Is this safe?

Go to solution Solved by nanowatt,

IDC if its ugly lol, is it unsafe.

Is not very safe

Hello

So I've been having issues with my PC overheating ever since I started to do Crossfire, so I took off the side panel and the problem disappeared, but on came a new one... dust. So I went and got a cloth (Gauze) and taped it over the area where there used to be a side panel, hoping it would rid the dust. Now, the question is "Is this safe?". I was wondering this when I thought about the static electricity, I don't know if it will form or not...

If anyone could please answer that would help me out greatly. 

Thanks in advance.

Pictures of the ghetto solution:

IMG_20140819_132911370.jpg

IMG_20140819_132923723.jpg

IMG_20140819_132932666_1.jpg

IMG_20140819_132939154.jpg

Specs of the PC:
FX 8320 @ 4.5GHz on Asrock 970 etx3 R2.0 With Be quiet Shadow Rock 2 cooler

6GB DDR3 1333MHz

2x XFX DD 7950 in CF

XFX Pro 650W

no dude, just no, static hazard. DIY some fans in the side panel.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

I doubt this is helping with airflow that much, and its should be safe if its not touching anything other than the metal case. 

Maybe liquid cooling everything is a better idea :P

2x 7950s on a 650w PSU 

:o

no dude, just no, static hazard. DIY some fans in the side panel.

I did put fans there, it over heated, are you sure about the static?

I doubt this is helping with airflow that much, and its should be safe if its not touching anything other than the metal case. 

Maybe liquid cooling everything is a better idea :P

It's only touching the metal case. I can't afford liquid cooling, I think you could tell... xD

This is the worst Ghetto mod i have ever seen

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It's only touching the metal case. I can't afford liquid cooling, I think you could tell... xD

Moar fans then? Or a better case? 

This is the worst Ghetto mod i have ever seen

LOL I guess so, it took less than 5 mins... is it safe?

Dust will build up anyway take that thing off.You can use a  air compressor or compressed air to clean it up

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

LOL I guess so, it took less than 5 mins... is it safe?

Not at all lmao

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Moar fans then? Or a better case? 

Well is it unsafe, if so what cheap case should I get? I'm in canada, Also I'm kinda lazy to rebuild it :P because I spent some time on cable managing...

Dust will build up anyway take that thing off.You can use a  air compressor or compressed air to clean it up

Yea will this should help as long as its safe... is it?

So it can screw up my PC right?

Yep

Yea will this should help as long as its safe... is it?

Maybe but is ugly and beside you have to clean it about every month anyway.With a compressor is a 5 min process.Dust will get in anyway so filters or not faster or slower is the same thing sooner or later you will have to clean it up.My case have both panels removed just to cool it down.Just so you know the thicker the material the harder is for air to penetreat it if you don't have a fan or something

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Not completely sure, but I think this solution may cause static buildup.

Maybe it's time for a new case with better airflow? Or maybe better fans.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

Maybe but is ugly and beside you have to clean it about every month anyway.With a compressor is a 5 min process.Dust will get in anyway so filters or not faster or slower is the same thing sooner or later you will have to clean it up.My case have both panels removed just to cool it down.Just so you know the thicker the material the harder is for air to penetreat it if you don't have a fan or something

Is not very safe

I think you'd be better off overvolting your fans with a wall plug, why not just get moar/faster fans?

-common sense

Build : i7 3770, R9 290 reference, Corsair VS 650, 8gb 1333mhz ram, Corsair 350D, MSI B75-E33

Okay thanks

Just to be clear if there is not contact between that cloth and the source of the static field in your case psu,gpu and motherboart electrons can be exchanged that meaning that no static energy will build up on the cloth