I built a gaming PC back in November and installed + activated Windows 7 Ultimate on November 26th and it actiavted fine (I had to do it over the automated phone because it had been on another computer before). Now today, 6 months later, my computer says in the bottom of the screen: this copy of windows is not genuine build 7601. I don't know why this has happend as the activation has been fine for 6 months and I actuallty have got the OS legally. I've tried re-activating and doing to automated phone activation and none of them work. 

Is there a way I can fix this, because I don't want to buy another one when I have already bough a copy legit. 

Thanks you :)

post-21784-0-97542600-1369586774.png

Did you change any hardware? and do you have the OEM version of windows? OEM is tied to the first mobo its installed with

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I have the same problem, the only thing I was told to buy a new copy of windows 7.

Did you change any hardware? and do you have the OEM version of windows? OEM is tied to the first mobo its installed with

This copy was on another computer. We uninstalled it from that computer and then re-installed it on my new PC successfully back in November. Also, I have the retail version not the OEM and the retail version allows transferring copy of windows 7 to a new PC according to Microsoft. 

This copy was on another computer. We uninstalled it from that computer and then re-installed it on my new PC successfully back in November. Also, I have the retail version not the OEM and the retail version allows transferring copy of windows 7 to a new PC according to Microsoft.

was the copy from the old computer a prebuilt computer? If all else fails just use the retail version key you have

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Let's just hope that that some idiot didn't use a key generator for Windows activation and used your key.

Just re-activate Windows. A phone activation is needed, just pass it again. And if you get a person on the phone, just say you had a hardware that failed and needed to be replaced.

It may also happen if a system file of Windows, got corrupted or you tweak the file, and the activation thinks you have a non genuine version.

Open the command prompt as true admin, and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Once it's done restart your computer. Then re-activate Windows.

Does having a non-legitmate version of windows actually affect the performance of the PC in any other way apart from having that "windows is not genuine" in the bottom corner?

#!

Does having a non-legitmate version of windows actually affect the performance of the PC in any other way apart from having that "windows is not genuine" in the bottom corner?

I believe it just annoys you and that's it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you have a legit copy just give them a call, it's an automated process. I did that for my windows cause I had activated and deactivated too many times.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

if it's legitimate, phone Microsoft and they should sort it. If it's not legitimate, find a proper crack from The Pirate Bay. Simple. 

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

On 5/26/2013 at 5:10 PM, GoodBytes said:

Let's just hope that that some idiot didn't use a key generator for Windows activation and used your key.

Just re-activate Windows. A phone activation is needed, just pass it again. And if you get a person on the phone, just say you had a hardware that failed and needed to be replaced.

It may also happen if a system file of Windows, got corrupted or you tweak the file, and the activation thinks you have a non genuine version.

Open the command prompt as true admin, and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Once it's done restart your computer. Then re-activate Windows.

I'll try that! thanks

On 5/27/2013 at 4:00 AM, ClutchHunter said:

if it's legitimate, phone Microsoft and they should sort it. If it's not legitimate, find a proper crack from The Pirate Bay. Simple. 

The annoying thing is I've actually bought this copy from PC World

On 5/27/2013 at 2:27 AM, Theo said:

If you have a legit copy just give them a call, it's an automated process. I did that for my windows cause I had activated and deactivated too many times.

As I said, I've already tried that

If if you call to activate, and it blocks, and even when you talk to a real person, it doesn't allow you too, even if you explained what I explained, and adding that you show them the bill as proof pf purchase, and can send a picture of the sticker of the box saying it's genuine, then that means that Microsoft flag your Windows product key as non genuine.

This lag could mean that the place you purchase it was found to sale non-genuine version of Windows, or that, like I mentioned, your key is found on the web, or someone used a key gen and generated your key.

It really really sucks if it happens. There was a story once where someone had to re-purchase StarCraft 2, because of a key gen as his copy was already activated. Blizzard refused to help him.

If that is the case, (and it would totally suck) I would push Microsoft like no tomorrow, and I bet they'll give you a key, because they will see that if you push for it, you know it's genuine key.  But then again, you are talking to a large company, it's like talking to a brick wall.. but you never know.

if you cant activate it you could just buy a new key but you could also use a wat remover that will remove the not genuine thing but using that is iligal and i would recomend that you just get a new key 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Umm that's the funny thing about mine, I have used my OEM key on 3 different motherboards now, and they all have worked and never expired. Anyone have any idea why lol? :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Umm that's the funny thing about mine, I have used my OEM key on 3 different motherboards now, and they all have worked and never expired. Anyone have any idea why lol? :P

I used to use my OEM Windows XP disc everywhere too. :P

guys did you find the win7 reg.exe   which you can find in most of the torrent sites .If you have find it use it to reg your win7

guys did you find the win7 reg.exe   which you can find in most of the torrent sites .If you have find it use it to reg your win7

What does a command line registry editor, has to do with anything.. I smell virus.