SFF-8087 Cable LED

Hey All,

This is my first post on the forum and I hope you all can help me.  I am planning on building a raid setup with 4-8 drives and more drives in the system.  I would like to be able to monitor each drive's health individually by LED and not through software.  The raid card I am looking at uses SFF-8087.  The SFF-8087 cable has an additional 8 pin cable, in addition to the SFF-8087 and the 4 sata cables.  From what I can gleem online, this cable is used as an LED power cable to monitor the drives.  Is this correct?  Would that mean you could just connect LEDs to the 8 pin and have status LED for the four drives?  Does anyone know if this is correct or has ever done this?

Thanks,Rob

Welcome!! 

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Hey Rob, welcome to the forums. :)

Could you link the specific card you're looking at? If I

remember right, my own cards have pins for LEDs too, but

it's not about the HDDs' health, merely about their activity

if I remember right (it's been a while since I've looked

at the manual though, there may be more to it than that).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

The card I am looking at is the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9341-8i.  From what I can see on the card, it does not have pinouts for hdd leds.  My main question is really what is the 8 pin cable on the SFF-8643, which I just realized is not that SFF-8087.  The LSI LSI00410 has the SFF-8643 plug, 4 sata plugs, and an 8 pin that looks like a internal USB plug.

Just figured it out.  It is the raid sideband cable.