Cooler Master Rapid-I Keyboard

Hey LTT,

So this is my first review ever so take it easy on me if I make any mistakes. Enjoy!

Background:

So I received my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-I about 4 days ago and have been enjoying a lot. I bought the version with cherry MX brown switches and am transferring from my Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 which has cherry MX blue switches.

What comes in the box:

The keyboard

Micro USB cable

Key cap pulled (very thoughtful to include this)

User manual in many languages.

Features:

This keyboard is tenkeyless which you probably already know from Linus' unboxing. I personally never use the keypad so this is very nice switch from the extremely bulky Razer Keyboard I had in the past. If you do not use the number pad I seriously suggest getting a tenkeyless as it is much more ergonomic and comfortable to use with a mouse. The keyboard also comes with individually LED backlit keys. My keyboard has white backlights and they are very bright due to the very thoughtful white backplate underneath the keycaps.

The keyboard also has a 32 bit ARM processor built in to control lighting profiles. The customization of the lights is immense:

6 factory default lighting effects:

Standard backlight

Pulse

Key lights up every time you hit it and turns off with no delay

^^^ but with delay to turn off.

Kind of a strobe lighting affect

WASD and Arrow keys lit up only

(Including video with all this shown)

Most of these lighting patterns seem gimmicky to me as they are very distracting while gaming.  

There are also 4 led lighting profiles that can be created without any software and are very easy to set up.

If you hit FN + Screen Lock you can go into Gaming mode which disables the windows keys.

There is also key repeat keys. 1x, 2X, 4X and 8X

1X is what I use and is normal for a keyboard. 2X is "typable" but I do get some unintentional keystrokes in there sometimes. 4X and 8X are kind of worthless unless you need to spam FUUUUUUUUUUUUU in the youtube comments. (Yes I stole that from Kyle from newegg) 

The keyboard works straight out of the box and requires no drivers. I did however go to the CM Storm page and update the firmware.

Build Quality:

This keyboard is a tank. No flex basically at all and has some nice weight to it. There is a detachable micro USB cable so there is no issue with that. The cable is nicely braided and feels firm. The whole body is covered in a nice soft touch rubber coating which is resistant to Cheetos stains or whatever. On the bottom there are very nice rubber feet that refuse to slide around on my wooden desk and razer goliathus mouse pad. There is a very non rubber coated accent along the sides of the keyboard as well as a CM Storm logo on the back, out of sight. 

Overall this thing is built like a tank. 

Typing Experience:

As said above I am coming from MX blues. The browns provide a nice tactical feedback much like the blues. The feedback however isn't as pronounced as the blues but the keyboard is much quieter overall. This is a trade-off I am willing to make. The switches are also nice for gaming IMHO. This is a very personal thing but I personally like the browns. I have also noticed I am going to the standard position while typing instead of "pecking" like I used to. The keyboard has a raised front, while it has no wrist wrest, I personally feel very comfortable even when  typing moderately long things like this review. The keyboard has appropriately placed, spaced and sized keys. Everything is where is should be.

Overall:

This is a very well built keyboard with enough customization to suit even the pickiest of people and is a pleasure to own. If you're looking for a backlit, tenkeyless, quiet-ish, mechanical keyboard, this is the one to buy IMO. 

Pricing is around $110 from NCIXUS and $140 everywhere else.

I apologize about the quality of pictures in this review but I do not have a good camera at my disposal. These were all taken with an iphone 5. 

Pictures:

H3TXbkY.jpg?1

Included Key cap puller:

yU4PYTz.jpg

5SGNhUG.jpg

Video:

I did not included a full image of the keyboard since there are much higher quality pictures of it online.

Hope you guys enjoyed my review of the CM Storm Rapid-I and feel free to leave some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism in the comments!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

the video's private

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

the video's private

Should work with the link right?

Works for me...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Should work with the link right?

Works for me...

because it's your video.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

because it's your video.

Oh ok I'll fix it.  Thanks. 

Nice vid but in the future hold your phone sideways to get a nice wide screen view.

Nice vid but in the future hold your phone sideways to get a nice wide screen view.

Yea I realized that afterwards. Thanks for the feedback!