"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation

Thanks a lot! I'm still waiting for Ram memory to arrive so I have still a bit of time before building my PC. If I will be able than I will send it back and exchange it for Cooler Master GM G550M, is it a good one? 

It's okay. Where are you shopping from? I could possibly take a look at what they have and see if there's anything better for the money. Generally if you can find a Antec or Seasonic within your budget with enough watts 

"Rawr XD"

I'm shopping from THIS website it's an dutch website, so google translate will come in handy.

Cooler Master G450M on this website is currently for ~47 euro, G550M for around 10 euro more, so thats how much I can spend on other power supply.

I'm shopping from THIS website it's an dutch website, so google translate will come in handy.

Cooler Master G450M on this website is currently for ~47 euro, G550M for around 10 euro more, so thats how much I can spend on other power supply.

If you don't mind spending 5 euros more then this is much better

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1106979

"Rawr XD"

I hope it will fit into the cooler master n300 tower, I know it might be a stupid question but I just want to make shure. 

But still, thanks a lot for help, I will call them tomorrow to check if its possible to replace it for Seasonic.

I hope it will fit into the cooler master n300 tower, I know it might be a stupid question but I just want to make shure. 

But still, thanks a lot for help, I will call them tomorrow to check if its possible to replace it for Seasonic.

Yep it will fit perfectly. N300 is not a case where you have to worry about PSU fitting cause you have pretty much unlimited PSU length room. 

Even my in N200 it's no problem.

"Rawr XD"

Thanks I appreciate that. I'm pretty much new into this especially in building my own PC. It's good that I made some research about power consumption, otherwise I would have some problems which I couldn't be able to solve by myself. A bit late though, good thing is I kept CM G450M sealed in box, so now I will send it back with no problems at all, at least I hope so...

The G550M will perform better electrically at a wider range of loads than the Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo 520w, and it will have a more relaxed fan profile.

While the Seasonic M12II-B Evo will offer full modularity and Japanese caps on the secondary as opposed to CapXon.

Both has a 5 year warranty.

I would personally go for the CM G550M over the Seasonic due to DC-DC, especially considering how you can get the G650M variant for the same price range - making it a better value as well. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/349127/cooler-master-gm-g650m.html

Of course, you could get the Seasonic if you want for the longevity.

Could You explain what DC-DC means? And by the way, do I really need 650W in this build? I said if needed than I will overclock a bit, I prefer longevity more than power, so lowering ingame details etc will work better for me. So, what would You recommend now, when I have still some time to decide?

Btw. I did check Sapphire Toxic 280x website, and they recommend 750W power supply, so I don't really know what's going on..

I would personally go for the CM G550M over the Seasonic due to DC-DC, especially considering how you can get the G650M variant for the same price range - making it a better value as well. http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/349127/cooler-master-gm-g650m.html

Would you care to explain why you love DC-DC so much

Could You explain what DC-DC means? And by the way, do I really need 650W in this build? I said if needed than I will overclock a bit, I prefer longevity more than power, so lowering ingame details etc will work better for me. So, what would You recommend now, when I have still some time to decide?

Btw. I did check Sapphire Toxic 280x website, and they recommend 750W power supply, so I don't really know what's going on..

DC-DC means that all mains power is converted to 12V first. The 5V and 3.3V is then just taken from that 12V and voltage reducted, rather then having separate conversions for mains to 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

The manufacturer power ratings are always much more then what you'll actually need.

"Rawr XD"

DC-DC means that all mains power is converted to 12V first. The 5V and 3.3V is then just taken from that 12V and voltage reducted, rather then having separate conversions for mains to 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

So You say that DC-DC is better than any other? If that's the case, than I would go for the cheaper one G550M, or G650M if needed in Your opinion.

So You say that DC-DC is better than any other? If that's the case, than I would go for the cheaper one G550M, or G650M if needed in Your opinion.

I don't understand what's the big deal of DC-DC aside from Haswell deep sleep compatibility. What CPU are you using in the build?

"Rawr XD"

I don't understand what's the big deal of DC-DC aside from Haswell deep sleep compatibility. What CPU are you using in the build?

I don't even know what's the difference. I will be using AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core in my build.

I don't even know what's the difference. I will be using AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core in my build.

Then get the Seasonic

"Rawr XD"

Would you care to explain why you love DC-DC so much

The manufacturer power ratings are always much more then what you'll actually need.

You know that one of the PSU jobs is to output / regulate DC voltages at 12v, 5v, and 3.3v, correct? Well, there are a few ways a PSU can be design to do this. In the CM GM will output 12vDC and from there, the 3.3v/5v  are generated from that regulated 12vDC via a VRM. In the case of the Seasonic M12II-B Evo 430-620w, they are "group-regulated", where there's a mechanism that regulate the 12v and the 5v together.

Now what does this mean? Well, that CM GM being a DC-DC regulated PSU will offer better voltage stability at a wider range of loads. Look at the chart below.

CL_12V.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/G550M/1.html

As you can see, no matter how much you increase the load one the 5v and 3.3v, the 12v voltages maintain a <2% regulation.

In the case of the Seasonic M12II-B Evo 520w, the load on the rails needs to be within a certain ratio for it to perform well. Here's an example of a group-regulated unit (not the same PSU, but it will give you an idea of what I'm saying) :

CL_12V.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/VP550F/1.html

A depending on how the 3.3v/5v are loaded, it can cause the 12v deviate out of the 3% regulation and even out of ATX specification of 5%.

Of course, the Seasonic M12II-B Evo 430-620w is a good entry level unit that under normal operating conditions, you aren't going to see v.reg of 5% and higher. However, since loads of a computer in the real world are dynamic (it's not a constant 300w or whatever - it will increase and decrease, especially on the 12v), the VRM for your CPU / GPU may need to work harder to compensate for the larger oscillation. It is because of this, the M12II-B Evo (with the exception of the higher wattage 650+ units) is not the kind of PSU where I would say, "I have no problem running the PSU at 100% load continuously in my computer".

Anyways, both are capable of powering that system. If given the choice, I have have a preference to get a DC-DC / Independent regulated PSU over a group-regulated PSU and because of that, I lean towards the Cooler Master G550M/650M.

You know that one of the PSU jobs is to output / regulate DC voltages at 12v, 5v, and 3.3v, correct? Well, there are a few ways a PSU can be design to do this. In the CM GM will output 12vDC and from there, the 3.3v/5v  are generated from that regulated 12vDC via a VRM. In the case of the Seasonic M12II-B Evo 430-620w, they are "group-regulated", where there's a mechanism that regulate the 12v and the 5v together.

One of the posts you quoted already established this.

Of course, the Seasonic M12II-B Evo 430-620w is a good entry level unit that under normal operating conditions, you aren't going to see v.reg of 5% and higher. However, since loads of a computer in the real world are dynamic (it's not a constant 300w or whatever - it will increase and decrease, especially on the 12v), the VRM for your CPU / GPU may need to work harder to compensate for the larger oscillation. It is because of this, the M12II-B Evo (with the exception of the higher wattage 650+ units) is not the kind of PSU where I would say, "I have no problem running the PSU at 100% load continuously in my computer".

Anyways, both are capable of powering that system. If given the choice, I have have a preference to get a DC-DC / Independent regulated PSU over a group-regulated PSU and because of that, I lean towards the Cooler Master G550M/650M.

At the end of the day either one isn't the end of the world. This isn't Diablotek, it's CWT and Seasonic, and of course the PC isn't going to be run at 100% load all day long anyways. 

"Rawr XD"

I did not expect such a fuss about the PSU selection. But thanks quan289 for explanation how this stuff works, at least I learned something about it. 

I think I will go for the cheaper option and I will take the Cooler Master G550M, because it was suppose to be an budget gaming PC, so saving few cents for something that will serve well anyways is always nice. So thanks guys for helping me out.

One of the posts you quoted already established this.

Jokerr192 asked me the question, so I had answered it. However, I did provide graphs to give a comparison of two, which there's another type that wasn't mentioned.

At the end of the day either one isn't the end of the world. This isn't Diablotek, it's CWT and Seasonic, and of course the PC isn't going to be run at 100% load all day long anyways. 

The reason for my post was because you made a statement about that the M12II-B Evo is "much better" than the modified CWT GPK based GM unit without stating the reason why. It does offer full modularity and better caps, so it's better functionally and longevity. On the other hand, the GM will perform better, has a more relaxed fan profile, and he could get the 650w variant for the same price.

I wasn't saying "the PC isn't going to be run at 100% load all day long". I was making a point that the CM GM will handle loads at 100% better than the M12II-B in the real world due to superior v.reg. These points made the CM GM a viable option and left it up to the person to determine what he values more, more-so than flatly stating one is "much better" than the other.

I did not expect such a fuss about the PSU selection. But thanks quan289 for explanation how this stuff works, at least I learned something about it. 

I think I will go for the cheaper option and I will take the Cooler Master G550M, because it was suppose to be an budget gaming PC, so saving few cents for something that will serve well anyways is always nice. So thanks guys for helping me out.

You're welcome.

Also, here's a recent post on someone wanting to power the 290 on the G550M at Jonnyguru (PSU review site) : http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12102

You're welcome.

Also, here's a recent post on someone wanting to power the 290 on the G550M at Jonnyguru (PSU review site) : http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12102

Thanks again, I did check the 280x Toxic on http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/02/sapphire_toxic_r9_280x_video_card_review/9#.VOFVCPmG_E4this website, and it looks like I can easly buy 550W power supply, and it will be ok. Although they test it on i7 3770k which drains about 20W less power than x4 860k, so I'm considering paying about 5euro extra for 650W, but would not that be a bit of an overkill?

Thanks again, I did check the 280x Toxic on http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/02/sapphire_toxic_r9_280x_video_card_review/9#.VOFVCPmG_E4this website, and it looks like I can easly buy 550W power supply, and it will be ok. Although they test it on i7 3770k which drains about 20W less power than x4 860k, so I'm considering paying about 5euro extra for 650W, but would not that be a bit of an overkill?

650W would be a bit overkill. Seeing as 447W is drawn under load a 550W is perfectly fine

"Rawr XD"

Actually it could be around 460~480W, the 860k uses more power to run than the test PC they had on website, plus other stuff like DVD, card reader etc. But still, if You say the 650W will be an overkill than I'll go for 550W instead. 

Thanks again, I will be building my PC soon and I'll make some pictures in the process to post onto my profile :)

Yeah, it's also overclocked, and it is measured at the wall. You need to take efficiency into account.  Assuming 90% efficiency, that 447wAC figure is ~402wDC (PSU are rated at DC output).

Even though you could power it on the G550M, I wouldn't say the G650M would be a bad purchase for only €5 more. I mean it also give you more headroom to overclock, as well as a potential upgrade to SLI/CFX (if you ever decide to go for a more power efficient card in the future).

I manage to call for replacement, and I have chosen G550M, because I'm not thinking about SLI's just yet, and I don't think it will be needed for now and for at least 2 years from now, and it will be enough for a bit of overclocking It's enough for my requirements.

Ive got a 4690 (non K) on a ASUS ROG Gene board

With a single ASUS GTX 680 OC graphic card.  I would like to add another ASUS GTX 680 OC card for SLI.

Running a Fractal Design S24 Kelvin cooler with Noctua F12 Industrial intake fans x2

Intel 730 SSD, WD 2tb green, Seagate 3tb drives.

I have a Seasonic G Series 650w power supply.

I know the Seasonic is a good unit.  But would I be able to do the SLI with the GTX 680's ?? 

Cheers

Ive got a 4690 (non K) on a ASUS ROG Gene board

With a single ASUS GTX 680 OC graphic card.  I would like to add another ASUS GTX 680 OC card for SLI.

Running a Fractal Design S24 Kelvin cooler with Noctua F12 Industrial intake fans x2

Intel 730 SSD, WD 2tb green, Seagate 3tb drives.

I have a Seasonic G Series 650w power supply.

I know the Seasonic is a good unit.  But would I be able to do the SLI with the GTX 680's ?? 

The Seasonic is a very good unit. The highest power consumption benchmark I've seen for 680 SLI doesn't hit 600W, and that's also with CPU overclocked, so your system under heaviest load will be around 550W, so yes, Seasonic G650 will be fine.

power-consumption.jpg

"Rawr XD"