"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation

Hey there, welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

The issue with your PC is that although the PC may draw 200-250W of power, your power supply is only rated for 15A on the 12V rail, so the maximum amount of 12V power it can give to your components, is only 180W. It is already at it's limit under load and will not be able to handle a dedicated GPU.

This is a really good quality PSU and it's the one I would suggest if you're considering adding a graphics card like a 750Ti.

http://www.sestavi.si/index.php/item/display/32725/28366_napajalniki_seasonic_seasonic-g-360.jpeg

I knew it! So it's all PSU's fault.

But isn't 360W not enough for that graphics card? It's recommended to have a minimum of 450W PSU

So all combined together would drain and need around 600W idk doesn't it?

I knew it! So it's all PSU's fault.

But isn't 360W not enough for that graphics card? It's recommended to have a minimum of 450W PSU

So all combined together would drain and need around 600W idk doesn't it?

No. With a 750 Ti the max your computer could possibly pull under load is about 250W of 12V power, which the Seasonic G 360 is more then happy to do. It's literally twice as powerful as your current power supply, even though the wattage is rated lower. Like I said in the OP, it's not the watts, its the amps.

"Rawr XD"

No. With a 750 Ti the max your computer could possibly pull under load is about 250W of 12V power, which the Seasonic G 360 is more then happy to do. It's literally twice as powerful as your current power supply, even though the wattage is rated lower. Like I said in the OP, it's not the watts, its the amps.

Alright..though I can't open the PC and put it in myself, i have to take it to the shop I bought it from and tell them to mount it... Otherwise my warranty won't be valid anymore...Should I trust them? I mean are they obligated to put it to 12V? I don't know how this works really I wouldn't like them to connect it in some way so that the GPU and CPU don't get the power they need to operate..

Alright..though I can't open the PC and put it in myself, i have to take it to the shop I bought it from and tell them to mount it... Otherwise my warranty won't be valid anymore...Should I trust them? I mean are they obligated to put it to 12V? I don't know how this works really I wouldn't like them to connect it in some way so that the GPU and CPU don't get the power they need to operate..

There's only one right way to connect a PSU, so if they mount the PSU for you they will have to do it properly or else the PC won't turn on at all.

"Rawr XD"

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Great thread. However I'm still curious. A couple of weeks ago (before the revealing of the new GTX's and i7's) I bought a PowerZone 750W. Now I'm planning on upgrading my system ALOT! I'm planning on going from this:

AMD Phenom XII 1100T

GTX 660 TI

To:

Intel Core i7 X-5820K

EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SuperClocked

Alongside an AsRock X99 Extreme 4

And 16GB DDR4 (propably Ripjaw).

There will be 2 SSD's and 1 HDD running with it and a total of 6 fans. (Excl GPU and CPU fans).

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

I'm not going SLI.

I'm not planning on overclocking (yet).

I'm planning on getting Watercooling for CPU and GPU so I can overclock. But that depends on budget and the possibility (PSU wise and actual performance increase)

QUESTION:

Is the 750W enough? Following the thread it'll be just enough or just not enough. If so will watercooling effect PSU usage significantly? And at last, do you recommend a higher PSU wattage?

"You either die a noob. Or live long enough to be called a hacker"

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

Intel Core i7 X-5820K

EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SuperClocked

I'm not going SLI.

I'm not planning on overclocking (yet).

I'm planning on getting Watercooling for CPU and GPU so I can overclock. But that depends on budget and the possibility (PSU wise and actual performance increase)

Which Powerzone are we talking about here? The BeQuiet Powerzone? In that case 750W will be perfectly fine if not a lot more then enough. A system with a 5820K and 970 both heavily overclocked and overvolted on water will pull at maximum 500W, and that's really pushing it just to be safe, in reality more like 400-450W.

I'd suggest against getting the ACX 2.0 if you're looking to watercool though. Get something with a reference PCB (short PCB with 2x 6pin power connectors).

"Rawr XD"

Which Powerzone are we talking about here? The BeQuiet Powerzone? In that case 750W will be perfectly fine if not a lot more then enough. A system with a 5820K and 970 both heavily overclocked and overvolted on water will pull at maximum 500W, and that's really pushing it just to be safe, in reality more like 400-450W.

I'd suggest against getting the ACX 2.0 if you're looking to watercool though. Get something with a reference PCB (short PCB with 2x 6pin power connectors).

Yes the BeQuiet Powerzone 750W. Good to hear that's enough haha  :D

If I may ask. What exactly are you implying with the PCB ports regarding watercooling? 

To add I'm not familiar with watercooling. I've done some research and know how it works at a general level (components etc.). I chose the EVGA one since warranty allows removing the stock fans, at least that's what I heard.

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

To add I'm not familiar with watercooling. I've done some research and know how it works at a general level (components etc.). I chose the EVGA one since warranty allows removing the stock fans, at least that's what I heard.

When it comes to watercooling if you want the best compatibility with aftermarket blocks and cooling solutions then it's recommended to get a card with a reference PCB. This means cards designed to a reference spec set by Nvidia (notably, but not always, with their blower cooler) and is what aftermarket cooling makers usually go by when making things like water cooling components for graphics cards. 

Reference cards can be found made by vendors like Gainward, Palit, and PNY. EVGA also makes their own reference 970, which you can see here, however it's on pre-order.

"Rawr XD"

When it comes to watercooling if you want the best compatibility with aftermarket blocks and cooling solutions then it's recommended to get a card with a reference PCB. This means cards designed to a reference spec set by Nvidia (notably, but not always, with their blower cooler) and is what aftermarket cooling makers usually go by when making things like water cooling components for graphics cards. 

Reference cards can be found made by vendors like Gainward, Palit, and PNY. EVGA also makes their own reference 970, which you can see here, however it's on pre-order.

I see. From doing my own quick "Reference PCB" search I can conclude that it kind of works like a blueprint for other manufacturers? However looking at the SuperClocked version. It also states "2 6-pin power connectors (PCI-E)). So it shouldn't be a problem?

Full Current Build

I see. From doing my own quick "Reference PCB" search I can conclude that it kind of works like a blueprint for other manufacturers? However looking at the SuperClocked version. It also states "2 6-pin power connectors (PCI-E)). So it shouldn't be a problem?

Yep, it ensures the best compatibility. And since the reference 970 uses a very similar short PCB to the reference 670s and 760s, it's still backwards compatible with blocks like this one that are designed for reference 670s or 760s. The Superclocked version of the blower EVGA is the same as the one I showed you, except it comes at a higher clock speed out of the factory.

"Rawr XD"

Yep, it ensures the best compatibility. And since the reference 970 uses a very similar short PCB to the reference 670s and 760s, it's still backwards compatible with blocks like this one that are designed for reference 670s or 760s. The Superclocked version of the blower EVGA is the same as the one I showed you, except it comes at a higher clock speed out of the factory.

Aaaah that's where my WC knowledge is letting me down  ;) . I'm not that familiar with different blocks. Although I can imagine that not all of them are backwards compatible with every type of 970.

Anyways I'm planning on getting the upgrade somewhere spring 2015 (money doesn't grow on trees right  :P). So by then I'll do some more research and definitely look at the WC 101 on this forum (holy that is one long thread  :blink:). Else this might get sidetracked a LOT from the actual topic  :lol:. 

Thanks for the advice! I'll sure keep the reference PCB in mind when selecting my definite parts. Maybe there will be a block for the 970 SC ACX 2.0 (the problem is the ACX 2.0 right?) on the market by then.

Cheers!

Full Current Build

Thanks for the advice! I'll sure keep the reference PCB in mind when selecting my definite parts. Maybe there will be a block for the 970 SC ACX 2.0 (the problem is the ACX 2.0 right?) on the market by then.

No problem. I'd still go with the blower card over the ACX 2.0 especially if you're thinking of water cooling in the future, since the ACX 2.0 cooler has issues on the 970. There's a reason it's cheaper then the ones like the much better Windforce X3

"Rawr XD"

I'm not entirely sure if it's accurate, but msi power calculator seems to work just fine if you're looking for just the max wattage.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Hi everybode, i am planing to buy new pc and need some advice on PSU for system:

Dell U2414H (no plans for multi monitor setup)

Fractal Design ARC Mini R2

Asus Z97M-PLUS

Intel Core i7-4790k

Deepcool Gammaxx 300

MIS GTX 970 GAMING 4G (maybe Asus STRIX-GTX 970, no plans for SLI)

2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Hz CL8 1.5v

OCZ Vector ARC 100 SSD 240GB

WD Black 3.5" 1TB

~near future upgrades

air cooler for overcloking (something like Noctua NH-D14), ssd M.2 PCIE

so i was thinking about CM V550S or should i go 650W version?

P.S sorry for my bad english

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G (maybe Asus STRIX-GTX 970, no plans for SLI)

so i was thinking about CM V550S or should i go 650W version?

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum! Thanks for checking out this thread :)

First of all, I'd recommend getting the Gigabyte 970 over the MSI and Strix.

For the power supply, since you're not planning to SLI, 550W will be perfect for your PC. The Cooler Master V550 is an excellent power supply, but the 550W Seasonic G is rock solid as well, and is cheaper then the V550.

Check it out here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

"Rawr XD"

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum!...

Thanks for fast replay and help,

I live in eu and prices are mixed, so V550S is cheaper than Seasonic G 550W about 30$

About gxt 970 i was leaning towards MSI, i guess i need to check gigabyte g1(it makes sense the thing looks huge) but lets not get of the track(not a topic to talk about gpu's) thanks again for the help

Thanks for fast replay and help,

I live in eu and prices are mixed, so V550S is cheaper than Seasonic G 550W about 30$

About gxt 970 i was leaning towards MSI, i guess i need to check gigabyte g1(it makes sense the thing looks huge) but lets not get of the track(not a topic to talk about gpu's) thanks again for the help

Oh okay, if V550 is cheaper then get it, cause it's a really good power supply and it will be perfect for your build.

The G1 is the best 970 to get no doubt, not just cause it's huge, but the actual GPU chip is higher binned, and it also has better VRMs then other 970s, which is a pretty big deal with this card since along with the Maxwell chip it can overclock like crazy.

Glad I could be of help, good luck with your PC :)

"Rawr XD"

mostly bullshit...especialy your ''recommended wattage'' you obviously have no idea what a pc power requirement are.

look at the machine in my sig and profile..i run all this overclocked through a kill-a-watt and the max wattage while running cinebench AND unigine valley AT THE SAME TIME is 360watts...taking into account the 90% psu efficiency (again max...its a gold psu) that means my pc is using only 320 watts from the psu...your suggestions are way over doing it!

here, listen to this:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

look at the machine in my sig and profile..i run all this overclocked through a kill-a-watt and the max wattage while running cinebench AND unigine valley AT THE SAME TIME is 360watts...taking into account the 90% psu efficiency (again max...its a gold psu) that means my pc is using only 320 watts from the psu...your suggestions are way over doing it!

Take a look at the damn OP. For an i7 and a GTX 780 it says 450W minimum PSU (not maximum PC power consumption). 320W with two benchmarks you could see 350W under maximum stress testing, which would put it very close to something like a 360W Seasonic G. At that point might as well step up to the 450W G. Again like I said you CAN go lower on the wattage, but that's not something I'd be comfortable with personally.

"Rawr XD"

Is there a big difference between Fractal Edison M550W and CM V550S, for my knowledge not many companys(corsair,cm,...) actually develops PSU just puts brand name and extras, i am asking just becouse of esthetics for build

Made some adjustments:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/page-5

Is there a big difference between Fractal Edison M550W and CM V550S, for my knowledge not many companys(corsair,cm,...) actually develops PSU just puts brand name and extras, i am asking just becouse 

Welcome to the forum!

Fractal Edison M and Cooler Master V are both based on high end Seasonic platforms. However between those two, I would just get a plain Seasonic G if it's cheaper, since it's the same as the Edison M.

"Rawr XD"

Everyone here is so helpful to noobs like me! I was hoping you might be able to help me determine what wattage PSU I should be looking at for my first build...The build is as follows (btw...I've currently got a 750w supply on standby...but I'm having second thoughts on whether or not it's going to be enough):

ps...I know this build isn't exactly price point to performance optimized, but I'm learning....slowly....

Rampage IV Black Edition

4930k (that I'm hoping to push to the limits)

Windforce g1 gamer gtx 980 (that I'm hoping to push to the limits)

4 x 4GB tactical tracers (leds on top)

3 corsair LED 140 fans, 2 corsair LED 120 fans attached to an H100

BluRay optical

Samsung 850 pro series ssd

and a strip of molex powered leds

I feel like 750w might be pushing it....but I'm having a bit of trouble with the calculator I'm using---I'm hoping you guys can help out! Thanks in advance!

Everyone here is so helpful to noobs like me! I was hoping you might be able to help me determine what wattage PSU I should be looking at for my first build...The build is as follows (btw...I've currently got a 750w supply on standby...but I'm having second thoughts on whether or not it's going to be enough):

I feel like 750w might be pushing it....but I'm having a bit of trouble with the calculator I'm using---I'm hoping you guys can help out! Thanks in advance!

What 750W are you planning to get? 

If it's a good quality 750W then you'll have absolutely no problem running your system overclocked, even if you add a second 980.

"Rawr XD"