Resolution or frame rate?

trueno2k

Do you prefer to sacrifice frame rate to get higher resolution & detail / quality or sacrifice resolution / quality for the higher frame rate?

Just been debating with me cousin regarding fast pace games such as first person shooters or racing games...

Just thought I ask this question to see which of us you people will side with more!.. :P

Let the debate begin!.. :D

[Casecom CS-13 Matrix][Antec Truepower New 650W][Asrock Z87 Extreme3][Intel Core i5 4430][Corsair H60 (2013)][Geil Black Dragon 1600Mhz 2x8GB][VTX3D R9 280X][Crucial M500 240GB][Samsung 1TB HD103UJ][2x Samsung 1TB HD103SJ][2x Samsung 2TB HD204UI]

single player game looks > FPS

multiplayer / competitive FPS > looks

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

ffs they both important since you cant play a game at 4fps at 4k etc... BUT i prefer 30 fps in 1080p rather than 60fps in 720p.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I prefer framerate in shooters, racinggames and such. But detail in games like skyrim, however the framerate has to be 30+ at all times.

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

I like to balance the two, so the game looks good while still maintaining a playable frame rate. (20-30+ fps depending on the game)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

50fps or I drop settings.

Same for any resolution.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just drop the settings to achieve 60+ FPS, no need to mess round with the resolution. If we talk about consoles, well, they should offer the same thing. Dropping the resolution to 720p to achieve 60fps is silly when you could just turn down lighting effects, AA and texture quality. Dropping to 720p while maintaining the same settings will look worse than the game at the native resolution of your TV with lower settings. 1080p and 60fps should be absolute minimum standards, and if you have to sacrifice texture quality and your pretty particle effects then so be it.

Texture quality is the LAST thing I turn down. (Maybe Ultra to High, thats it)

Everything else has more priority to be turned down than the Texture IQ, for me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I always try to get close to 50FPS (60 is obviously better) in every game. So... Yeah.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If it can do 30fps at at least 720p, I can live with it....

Any lower and it's a fail...

P.S.
This is on console gaming? The last console I touched was my PS2...

single player game looks > FPS

multiplayer / competitive FPS > looks

^This is definitely the final word on quality choices. (TOO BAD ON CONSOLES YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE)

When I'm playing single player, it's all about how amazing the world looks. High res and Amazing quality rule here, at the cost of FPS I'm willing to pay. (but never below 60HZ).

Competitive gaming demands higher FPS for better reactions and smoothness. This trumps quality for me to an extent. I only have a 60Hz monitor so it doesn't affect me yet, but if I had a 120Hz monitor I would set games to get that 120Hz if I had to turn settings down.

Git Gud.

The answer is simple, a slideshow in 4K isn't that entertaining

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I prefer having 60FPS and a minimum of 720P for resolution, I don't care for those fancy effects because that will just lower the FPS for my liking unless they can have those and still be able to 60FPS but I wouldn't want to go any lower than 45FPS.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Well here's the Wii U owner Nintendofanboy answer. Of all the Wii U games I own I couldn't tell you which ones are 720p up-scaled and which ones are doing 1080p natively. I wouldn't know because I'm usually sitting comfortably a couple of meters away from my 46" TV and not inspecting the pixels. However, when I play Mario Kart 8 and it drops into four player split screen? You'd have to be blind Freddy not to notice that the framerate has dropped to 30. 30fps is a much bigger compromise than 720p.

That said, from the information on the 'nets about games I know that Wind Waker HD is 1080p @ 30fps. Clearly for some games it doesn't really matter as much because that didn't bother me at all when I played it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I would take a lower resolution and a higher framerate on a console, as I only use a console for the exclusive console only games.

60fps is obviously preferable, but if a developer chooses 1080/30 and gets it locked absolutely at 30 then that's perfectly fine for me. A stable framerate is much better than occasionally getting 60.

depends.

The Last of Us is best experienced like a movie. So res > framerate

Dirt 3 is best experienced like an actual race. So framerate > res

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case