Project Toaster [NCASE M1, 4670K, Impact Z87, GTX 970 G1][WIP]

Butterfish
Go to solution Solved by Butterfish,

Finally some news on the project! - well, it's not good news.. 

I want to first apologize to everyone who were following this thread and expecting progress..

Project Toaster is sadly over, due to my lack in time and interest in the build. It was a fun ride, but i realized that the case was just too much of a hazzle and with all the setbacks i had with months and months of waiting for parts, i just couldn't bare it anymore. The toaster has gotten a new owner - one of my close friends. He needed a small chassis for carrying around, and i thought it would be best to give it to someone who would appreciate it alot more. I have therefore decided to switch back to ATX for now.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the support and replies on this thread. Who knows - maybe i will come up with something new? ;) I will keep you updated.

To see the final pictures of the build - click here

Fin

I have the Silverstone ML07 for a HTPC that Linus featured the Silverstone 600w SFX PSU in and was surprised 1. the PSU can power a R9 290 and 2. that it didnt get that warm, considering it wasnt a blower exhausting out the back.

I have a GTX750Ti FTW in mine though so err, heat really isn't an issue.

Well, mine started spinning at idle lol

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

What is the monitor in the three way surround setup? i found a similar one but it doesn't have a vesa mount

AOC i2369Vm ;) same one I borrowed from the dude with the triple setup

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

Might send the SX600G back again... jesus christ...

Probably gonna wait till they fix their sh*t

Main Rig
Phone

How much did you pay for it? There is this psu from EVGA.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 

it's fully modular and gold plus. It's also $79.99 USD from NCIX US. I'm not sure about anywhere else though :/ Hope this helps!

How much did you pay for it? There is this psu from EVGA.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 

it's fully modular and gold plus. It's also $79.99 USD from NCIX US. I'm not sure about anywhere else though :/ Hope this helps!

SFX vs ATX ...

that's bad :(

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

SFX vs ATX ...

my bad haha still new to building pcs and i've only worked on atx boards!

SFX vs ATX ...

Yea, i usually remove the plug from the PSU when i go to sleep. Tried to keep it plugged in this time. Woke up this morning with a massive headache and i could just hear the loud earpiercing whine. I'm not sure if thats the reason i had a headache, but its just generally unpleasent to be in the room. I looked it up on the interwebs, and a lot of people are having similar issues. Silverstone needs to fix this soon. Might ghetto rig an ATX PSU onto my ncase until then.. :unsure:

The wierd thing is that it only whines when the pc is powered off. When on standby, or powered on it's almost silent. So either i send it back or never shut it down

Main Rig
Phone

Yea, i usually remove the plug from the PSU when i go to sleep. Tried to keep it plugged in this time. Woke up this morning with a massive headache and i could just hear the loud earpiercing whine. I'm not sure if thats the reason i had a headache, but its just generally unpleasent to be in the room. I looked it up on the interwebs, and a lot of people are having similar issues. Silverstone needs to fix this soon. Might ghetto rig an ATX PSU onto my ncase until then.. :unsure:

The wierd thing is that it only whines when the pc is powered off. When on standby, or powered on it's almost silent. So either i send it back or never shut it down

Well there have been many reports, that it gets better when the PSU is under higher loads (e.g. benchmarks) for some time.

Well there have been many reports, that it gets better when the PSU is under higher loads (e.g. benchmarks) for some time.

Ran unigine heaven on extreme settings for little over an hour yesterday. Still the same. Will try to run it for a longer time and make my decision next week.

Main Rig
Phone

Maybe install folding at home with a screensave, so when you're not using your PC it will stil have a workload and it will be helping research diseases :)

Maybe install folding at home with a screensave, so when you're not using your PC it will stil have a workload and it will be helping research diseases :)

when the hell did you become a mod? Gratz :D

Main Rig
Phone

when the hell did you become a mod? Gratz :D

Over a month ago :D thanks

I do a bit less posting and stuff though since I'm sometimes on here doing moderator classified things :ph34r:

I do a bit less posting and stuff though since I'm sometimes on here doing moderator classified things :ph34r:

But how. :D teach me master!

Main Rig
Phone

I like, that a M1 club member has infiltrated the mod team.

Next step: the universe :D

But how. :D teach me master!

I don't have the slightest clue :P

I like, that a M1 club member has infiltrated the mod team.

Next step: the universe :D

Yes, other mods have said my case was pretty :)

I don't have the slightest clue :P

Yes, other mods have said my case was pretty :)

Did you post a picture of linus in sexy underwear?

Main Rig
Phone

• 1 month later...

It's been over a month since my last post. I apologise :unsure: . Still trying to figure out the PSU problem.. Either i try my luck with a SX600-G again, or i throw in my AX860. If i install the ATX PSU, i won't be able to fit my GPU in there. I'd have to swap it out for one of those short PCB "mini" GPU's. Or just game w/o discrete graphics.. lol

I will continue the build-log once i figure this situation out.. I also got a major school project coming up in a few days so i will have zero spare time up until christmas. I'm hoping to return with an update in early January. Stay tuned ^_^  

Main Rig
Phone

It's been over a month since my last post. I apologise :unsure: . Still trying to figure out the PSU problem.. Either i try my luck with a SX600-G again, or i throw in my AX860. If i install the ATX PSU, i won't be able to fit my GPU in there. I'd have to swap it out for one of those short PCB "mini" GPU's. Or just game w/o discrete graphics.. lol

Xigmatek released a couple of weeks ago semi-modular units that are 123mm in length, I don't know if they've hit the market yet, but maybe those are compatible!

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=240

Awww. That's pretty disappointing. I just finished my M1 build with the SX600-G, and I have the same issue with you. I thought it was a one off, but I guess apparently not. Mine also makes a very very very annoying humming sound when the PC is powered on.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Awww. That's pretty disappointing. I just finished my M1 build with the SX600-G, and I have the same issue with you. I thought it was a one off, but I guess apparently not. Mine also makes a very very very annoying humming sound when the PC is powered on.

Yea, i won't try my luck with the SX600-G again. Waiting for the SX500-LG release instead. 

Main Rig
Phone

I'm really torn on what to do. With a 980 and 4790k OCd I don't think 500w will be enough. I want to build this coming week so I'll have to go 600-G. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

A 500 watt would be plenty.. Watch Linus' video on the SX600-G. Their rig with a cpu (dont remember which one) and a R9 290X pulled a wopping 450w at load. Taking into consideration that that card eats power like a horse, you'll be fine with a 980. I hope you won't be disappointed even though there is a great risk  :unsure:

Main Rig
Phone

A 500 watt would be plenty.. Watch Linus' video on the SX600-G. Their rig with a cpu (dont remember which one) and a R9 290X pulled a wopping 450w at load. Taking into consideration that that card eats power like a horse, you'll be fine with a 980. I hope you won't be disappointed even though there is a great risk  :unsure:

True,but no release date of the 500-LG :( everything else is ready.

True,but no release date of the 500-LG :( everything else is ready.

We're in the same shoes ;)

Main Rig
Phone

Just what i wanted to hear! :D

Silverstone is expected to launch the SX500-LG later this month.

Source 

its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

Main Rig
Phone