Gutting out ps2 slim for a slice of Pi

PortentousLad

So I've been eyeballing thinking of gutting an old ps2 slim since I don't use it, and putting a Pi in it and make it a proper media centre for watching movies and stuff and make it look like it's running on a ps2. My question now is what SoC should I go for? Btw this would also be my first time using either a Pi or xbmc and the likes of that is of any impotence.

Thanks in advance

PL

just get a pi model b with 512mb of ram. Then follow the official xbmc tutorial for pi ;)

you would also either want an ir reciever, or connect the pi to the lan, to control it with your android. There is an app for that

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

^-This... but not sure about ODD... unless you won't use it :P

there are usb ones if necessary, but considering you plan on xbmc, id imagine you either have a web attached library, or an external drive

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

yeah but then PS2's ODD will be there as decoration :P

true :P maybe as a cupholder or somethinh

Not sure what you are expecting out of it, but the performance of the Pi is pretty poor running XBMC from my experiences. I never did get mine to run reliably, it liked to reboot randomly. XBMC logs always said it was something different and I gave up after a few days of tinkering with it. Even when it did run, it was slow navigating the menus, and dead slow doing file transfers or playing off the network. Note that I had the Model B with 256MB of RAM and that could have been the main issue.

Sure it cost more, and takes up more space, but one of the Bay Trail motherboards for $70, $40 for a stick of RAM, and ~$50 for a case/PSU is easily 10 fold a better experience (IMO).

thanks for the suggestions.

Sure it cost more, and takes up more space, but one of the Bay Trail motherboards for $70, $40 for a stick of RAM, and ~$50 for a case/PSU is easily 10 fold a better experience (IMO).

Not the point I want to use the PS2, because reasons... no but seriously the thought was to make a fake PS2 slim MC or maybe even put an emulator on it and play PS games.

Edit: Damn! I did me some googlin' and now I want a PiBoy...