playing BF4, WTF is bottlenecking!?!

The_Evenger

BF4 has been acting weird lately..

I had got like 9fps before, same issue with the showgraph command .. all I did was revert to old drivers and restart my computer.. and it fixed itself.

I dunno why it happened.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Alright, update.

I just got my new shinny i7 4790k, and it pretty much fixed the issue. framerates never dip below 100, the gpus still spike around 75%-100%, but that's way better than 1%-25%.

here's the interesting thing, I now have a new motherboard, running a completely different CPU and chipset, and I was completely expecting to need to re-install windows, but I didn't half to. it just did the "getting devices ready" thing on startup and after a few re-boots, it was good to go!

I just think that's amazing, how windows 8.1 is able to recover from such a massive hardware change. I put in my OS drive completely thinking "this'll just blue screen, but whatever lets see what it does", and it actually worked! simply amazing.

Windows has been able to do that for a long time, provided you don't use OEM keys. Even then you can ring them up and they will switch your OEM key over to a new motherboard (I did that a few months ago). Also, welcome to the rational side. Where our price-performance makes sense!

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

well it's that the R9 290 is more easily bottlenecked than the NVidia equivalent. don't know why, but it is.

Courtesy of AMD's DX driver. 

bf4_mp_cpu_fx8350.png

8350 is a slow CPU, and if you have a huge driver overhead on top of that, you get absolutely awful performance. There's a thread on this over at OCN if you're interested to find out more or join the discussion. Thanks to Faa for discovering this and spreading the word in effort to make AMD fix it.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

I dropped in this thread earlier, and I fixed my problem by replacing my motherboard, just got around to it after finally having funds. the gigabyte board is terrible for the 8350. Switched to the new ASRock board and I haven't had any problems since.