Why game streaming services,like Playstation Now, are bad for all of us

Nineshadow

The video pretty much sums it up.Really worth watching.

Streaming exists right now only to solve immediate hardware problems,but in the long term it has many many maaany complications,which would raise more problems than it ever solved.On the other hand,it's also a mean to stop game piracy,which is something any publisher wants.

By playing a streamed game,you don't actually own it.That's a big problem,for me at least.

And if there won't be any solid copy of a game,then what would happen when the streaming services would die?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Latency is above all other reasons.

The main thing is that,by playing a streamed game,you don't actually own it.

There are many complication in the long term.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The main thing is that,by playing a streamed game,you don't actually own it.

There are many complication in the long term.

It's both of those and that I don't want to hog my internet connection even more than I have to.

I have 12/1. Two other people in my household can stream Netflix/Hulu while I download my own media to watch later while playing a game. 

Something has to be dropped to make room for the streaming video game. How about no? This is fine and everything where people have better than crap internet connections, but that isn't a lot of places in the US.

Plus, I'd rather own my games in some form. Hell, we don't even own them now. Even if I own a disc with Crysis 2 on it, I don't own Crysis 2 or even a copy of Crysis 2. I own a license to play a copy of Crysis 2 and nothing more. Me having a copy of Crysis 2 is only allowable from the license, otherwise it's pretty much automatically illegal since it's assumed I am playing/can play it.

I hate intellectual property rights.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's both of those and that I don't want to hog my internet connection even more than I have to.

I have 12/1. Two other people in my household can stream Netflix/Hulu while I download my own media to watch later while playing a game. 

Something has to be dropped to make room for the streaming video game. How about no? This is fine and everything where people have better than crap internet connections, but that isn't a lot of places in the US.

Plus, I'd rather own my games in some form. Hell, we don't even own them now. Even if I own a disc with Crysis 2 on it, I don't own Crysis 2 or even a copy of Crysis 2. I own a license to play a copy of Crysis 2 and nothing more.

And there's also the fact that in the long term streaming services will eventually die.

What will happen to the games you "own" then?

PCMasterRace? :D

EDIT: I would rather have all of the consoles to play all of the games I want instead of streaming them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I openly condone pirating of software to circumvent BS IP turnstyles that paying customers are forcibly presented with in certain situations.

And there's also the fact that in the long term streaming services will eventually die.

Exactly.

I openly condone pirating of software to circumvent BS IP turnstyles that paying customers are forcibly presented with in certain situations.

Same. I want people to get paid for their content, but I also want them to distribute said content reasonably, ethically, and conveniently.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The same can be said for Steam if a competitor/unforseen consequences wipes it out, unlikely but possible.

kudos if you get the reference

The same can be said for Steam if a competitor/unforseen consequences wipes it out, unlikely but possible.

kudos if you get the reference

But you still have the actual game on your computer.There are ways to "access" it without steam(ehm..cracks).

If streaming services would die,and that's the only platform a game runs on, then that game is doomed.

But you still have the actual game on your computer.There are ways to "access" it without steam(ehm..cracks).

If streaming services would die,and that's the only platform a game runs on, then that game is doomed.

This.

As long as torrents and P2P are a thing, even if Steam dies, someone will have a copy on a torrent somewhere. Probably with a crack too. 

Eventually the game will be lost to the digital decay, but for a long while, anyone who wants a backup/copy will have access to one.

The only reason I find game streaming acceptable is for backwards compatibility reasons. i.e. playing PS3/PS2/PSP/etc on PS4. That's about it. Any other reason is unacceptable imo.

† Christian Member †

Good luck to the companies who will normalize this... They just cut off a chunk of their market without knowing it...

Assuming a perfect connection, that is a none-issue

I actually LIKE the cloud computer idea, imagine having all of your compute power in something like grid, and you can basically play Crysis 3 in 4k on your toaster

However I dont mind streaming services as long as the game is also available as a permanent download, but a netflix for games is fantastic in theory and works the same way

I pay for netflix to watch all the movies, if netflix shuts down, I have wasted money, I can no longer watch those films

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Assuming a perfect connection, that is a none-issue

I actually LIKE the cloud computer idea, imagine having all of your compute power in something like grid, and you can basically play Crysis 3 in 4k on your toaster

That doesn't mean jack for someone who isn't always in the kitchen.

I am in front of my computer 90% of my free time. Why would I care about streaming when I have the power right beside me?

Don't get me wrong, obviously the number of people who actually have social lives outweigh people like me by a lot, but that's why I personally couldn't care less beyond backwards compatibility. 

It's the same reason I don't own a portable game system, or a laptop. I barely use my phone for anything more than calls. I see no benefit to it for someone like me, who has and will be in front of his computer for most of his time, if not all.

However I dont mind streaming services as long as the game is also available as a permanent download, but a netflix for games is fantastic in theory and works the same way

I pay for netflix to watch all the movies, if netflix shuts down, I have wasted money, I can no longer watch those films

Agreed there. Good idea in theory only imo for the consumer.

† Christian Member †

Oh is it that time of year again...., every so often the concept of game streaming comes up, its not the first time, and it usually comes to naught, because of latency issues, its not just there and back latency its there and back, the response back, the response sent out to others, *whacks up an exponential growth chart for sarcasm* you get the idea. Theres just no real way to get around this, sure there will be pockets of people where this may work within the realms of acceptability for a casual player, but theres not the high speed infrastructure to make it viable on the large scale, and in the end companies will just go ohh our available market segment in streaming is a fraction of those who locally store and doesn't earn near enough money sooo scrap it.

That doesn't mean jack for someone who isn't always in the kitchen.

I am in front of my computer 90% of my free time. Why would I care about streaming when I have the power right beside me?

Don't get me wrong, obviously the number of people who actually have social lives outweigh people like me by a lot, but that's why I personally couldn't care less beyond backwards compatibility. 

It's the same reason I don't own a portable game system, or a laptop. I barely use my phone for anything more than calls. I see no benefit to it for someone like me, who has and will be in front of his computer for most of his time, if not all.

But what if cloud computing means more powerful gaming computers, the market will not be held back by low end towers and integrated graphics

All computers would be capable of playing Metro last light at 4k 120hz with 16x AA, you could pop it onto your phone when you are on the train, use a $50 laptop to play at your friends house

and when you are at home you could carry a USB stick between your TV and monitor that runs the game

Sure that is all hypthetical but look at the PS Vita TV, instead of buying a PS4 for $500, you can buy 5 PS Vita TVs, one for each screen in your house and play the entire library of games

Streaming games is like streaming movies, I have netflix, i can watch 10000 movies, but in 2 years if netflix closes down, I have nothing, I have paid money ever month and I no longer have access to those movies

The infrastructure is not there now, I feel this service is too early to be good. But I foresee a future in it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-snip-

I'm not going to trade more graphical fidelity and complex games for the concept of ownership. If I have nothing to show for my money, I can pass nothing on to my descendants. 

It effectively damages the concept of accumulating "wealth" over time (whether in the form of video games, furniture or wtv). 

I can pass a Steam account on to someone else if I wanted by giving them the password. Steam's ToS be damned. If Steam dies, I can give them a storage drive of all the games. 

You might find such a thing to think about silly, but I think that's part of what's wrong with society and won't go into that much.

† Christian Member †

It's just stupid; one of the big arguments console users make against pc gaming is the price of high end rigs that can play with a graphical fidelity unreachable by consoles. If then they bust a wagon of money on streaming services to play those games, what have they saved? Nothing, and they still get the lesser experience because of imput lag etc. etc. Oh, and don't forget the online sub fee on top of that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*