Correction about Linus' Gigabyte BXi5G-760 Micro PC video

D2ultima

Hi, everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, but I can't make a new topic in the Linus' videos/ramblings/news forum, so here seemed like the next best place.

Basically, I watched this video 

here from Linus last night. In the video, I realized that Linus was misinformed by Gigabyte about the contents of the system. And in fact, Gigabyte is lying to everyone, because their sale page still has the incorrect information. Let me explain now.

So... Gigabyte tells Linus (and everyone else) it's a GTX 760 video card. Linus THINKS it's a GTX 760. It's actually a GTX 870M. If you pause the video at 4:48-4:49 before he zooms in to show the throttled clock speeds, you can look at his GPU-Z screenshot of the card's specifications.

GTX 760 specifications: 1152 cores, 980 base/1033 boost clock, 6000MHz mem bandwidth, 256-bit mem bus, 2GB and 4GB vRAM configurations. Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications
GTX 870M: 1344 cores (check), 941 base (check)/967 boost (higher in video) clock, 5000MHz mem bandwidth (check), 192-bit mem bus (check), 3GB and 6GB configurations (check), downclocks as far down as 2D clocks when super hot (check). Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-870m/specifications

So basically, Gigabyte seriously took a GTX 870M, modified the vBIOS to boost its "boost" clock and return that it's a GTX 760, shoved it into that tiny thing without proper cooling, having it downclock on itself due to overheating, and is selling it to people as being a desktop GTX 760.

The reason the GTX 860M 2GB card works in the small PCs is because it's maxwell, not kepler, and runs exceedingly cool for its power. It does not need a whole lot of cooling, but the stronger mobile kepler cards (like 680M, 780M, 870M, 880M) need at least a decent cooling configuration to work, which this lacks, and thus Linus' testing overheated the card easily. As for the 870M's relative strength to desktop hardware, it *IS* a GTX 660Ti with 5000MHz memory clock instead of 6000MHz memory clock and more memory. 660Ti specs as proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Oh, okay thanks.

get rekt @LinusTech

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Oh, okay thanks.

get rekt @LinusTech

HAVE YOU A DEATH WISH? lol

perhaps if performs similarly to a 760?

not sure how to feel

It's still deceptive.

Now I'm not sure just how I feel about my gigabyte motherboard, if their lying about something like this

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And there goes Gigabyte off my "good Companies" list

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Whoa you're right...

WTF Gigabyte?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

wow, that's pretty nice detected, i wouldn't never seen it, even more react, really nice im impressed

This Post Was Brought To You By Internet Explorer

Um? OP are you Batman?

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I loved you Gigabyte... How can you betray me like this!? ;( That's it I'm getting an MSI or Asus Motherboard for my next system!

Life.exe is missing

Well there goes gigabyte off my list of brands to recommend to people

time for our good budy linus to have someone from gigabyte on the wan show so he can ask them directly live what the hell they were thinking trying to get this one past us

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

So basically, Gigabyte seriously took a GTX 870M, modified the vBIOS to boost its "boost" clock and return that it's a GTX 760, shoved it into that tiny thing without proper cooling, having it downclock on itself due to overheating, and is selling it to people as being a desktop GTX 760.

W in the actual F Gigabyte?

Nice work op, that's some great info you got right there. What tipped you off? Did you pay so much attention to the video to notice it couldn't be a 760?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a 660 Ti in every way except that 660 Ti's never came with more than 2GB of VRAM.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

batman-approves.jpg

I'm impressed

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Wow. Not only am I surprised that you found this, but also that Gigabyte hid this. Good job!

W in the actual F Gigabyte?

Nice work op, that's some great info you got right there. What tipped you off? Did you pay so much attention to the video to notice it couldn't be a 760?

Um? OP are you Batman?

The first thing that tipped me off was when he said it was 6GB of vRAM; I know the 760 only has 2GB and 4GB variants. Next, when he said 5000MHz memory clock, I said "that sounds like a 870M" and I hoped he showed a GPU-Z screenshot of some kind. And luckily he did, and I was able to confirm my suspicions.

If it helps, my main machine is a gaming laptop, so I know both about laptop GPU specs and desktop GPU specs, so it jumped out at me more.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Wow @LinusTech look at this

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The first thing that tipped me off was when he said it was 6GB of vRAM; I know the 760 only has 2GB and 4GB variants. Next, when he said 5000MHz memory clock, I said "that sounds like a 870M" and I hoped he showed a GPU-Z screenshot of some kind. And luckily he did, and I was able to confirm my suspicions.

If it helps, my main machine is a gaming laptop, so I know both about laptop GPU specs and desktop GPU specs, so it jumped out at me more.

Alright "sure" BRUCE WAYNE!

no but really nice find.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Good job, and very disappointing on Gigabyte's part. I kind of found it hard to believe is was GTX 760 in the first place.  

Damn. @D2ultima, YOU are the real Batman.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think OP needs to work for Linus in the "Corporation bullshit detection" department.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hi, everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, but I can't make a new topic in the Linus' videos/ramblings/news forum, so here seemed like the next best place.

Basically, I watched this video

here from Linus last night. In the video, I realized that Linus was misinformed by Gigabyte about the contents of the system. And in fact, Gigabyte is lying to everyone, because their sale page still has the incorrect information. Let me explain now.

So... Gigabyte tells Linus (and everyone else) it's a GTX 760 video card. Linus THINKS it's a GTX 760. It's actually a GTX 870M. If you pause the video at 4:48-4:49 before he zooms in to show the throttled clock speeds, you can look at his GPU-Z screenshot of the card's specifications.

GTX 760 specifications: 1152 cores, 980 base/1033 boost clock, 6000MHz mem bandwidth, 256-bit mem bus, 2GB and 4GB vRAM configurations. Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications

GTX 870M: 1344 cores (check), 941 base (check)/967 boost (higher in video) clock, 5000MHz mem bandwidth (check), 192-bit mem bus (check), 3GB and 6GB configurations (check), downclocks as far down as 2D clocks when super hot (check). Proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-870m/specifications

The reason the GTX 860M 2GB card works in the small PCs is because it's maxwell, not kepler, and runs exceedingly cool for its power. It does not need a whole lot of cooling, but the stronger mobile kepler cards (like 680M, 780M, 870M, 880M) need at least a decent cooling configuration to work, which this lacks, and thus Linus' testing overheated the card easily. As for the 870M's relative strength to desktop hardware, it *IS* a GTX 660Ti with 5000MHz memory clock instead of 6000MHz memory clock and more memory. 660Ti specs as proof: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications

Nice catch, op!

I don't think it makes much of a difference to my conclusion about the product at this point since a throttling maxwell would be not better than a throttling Kepler and I think either of them would throttle in that tiny box but it's definitely interesting!!