LiteCoin Mining Rig?

What would be a good rig for mining Litecoin?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

What would be a good rig for mining Litecoin?

As many 280's or 290's (non-X's) as you can fit, afford, and power

"Rawr XD"

As many 280's or 290's (non-X's) as you can fit, afford, and power

Nvidia alternative?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Nvidia alternative?

AMD cards are giving even more gaming performance for the dollar right now comapred to nVidia, never mind mining. nVidia cards are almost useless in mining compared to AMD cards, unless you know how to cudamine properly, but cudamining isn't nearly as profitable as OpenCL

"Rawr XD"

An ASIC miner.

If you use consumer graphics cards for mining you will lose money because of power costs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

An ASIC miner.

If you use consumer graphics cards for mining you will lose money because of power costs.

Have the prices come down to reasonable numbers on those things yet

"Rawr XD"

Have the prices come down to reasonable numbers on those things yet

Nope, still cost a couple grand for the power houses. You can buy smaller USB or PCIe ASICs that are just as fast as an AMD GPU for a lot less though, and they use very little power.

For example this:

$_57.JPG

Mines 15x faster than a 290x, costs $200 only and uses 3x less power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nope, still cost a couple grand for the power houses. You can buy smaller USB or PCIe ASICs that are just as fast as an AMD GPU for a lot less though, and they use very little power.

Yeah true, I hear the Butterfly Labs ones are good, is this true?

"Rawr XD"

They make uber-powerful ASIC miners that are hundreds or thousands of times faster than a graphics card. They do cost thousands of dollars, but you can still manage to make a profit.

I think their miners are bitcoin-only, but i'm not 100% sure. Might work with litecoin too...

Spoiler

They make uber-powerful ASIC miners that are hundreds or thousands of times faster than a graphics card. They do cost thousands of dollars, but you can still manage to make a profit.

I think their miners are bitcoin-only, but i'm not 100% sure. Might work with litecoin too...

Butterfly Labs is a complete scam of a company. Not only do they offer the worst price to hashrate in the industry, they fail to deliver on time, miners are often DOA or don't run at advertised speeds, their support is atrocious where the only way to obtain a refund is through a lawyer with legal demands. Do thorough research before throwing money at a company offering "mining" devices.

As for Litecoin mining rig, you need a Scrypt ASIC. GPU's are no longer able to mine Litecoin with positive results.

If you are wanting to do GPU mining, you will need to look into other coins with algorithms besides SHA-256 and Scrypt. 

AMD GPU's still offer much better performance and "profit potential" than Nvidia in nearly every mining situation. Given the choice, avoid Nvidia.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Butterfly Labs is a complete scam of a company. Not only do they offer the worst price to hashrate in the industry, they fail to deliver on time, miners are often DOA or don't run at advertised speeds, their support is atrocious where the only way to obtain a refund is through a lawyer with legal demands. Do thorough research before throwing money at a company offering "mining" devices.

As for Litecoin mining rig, you need a Scrypt ASIC. GPU's are no longer able to mine Litecoin with positive results.

If you are wanting to do GPU mining, you will need to look into other coins with algorithms besides SHA-256 and Scrypt. 

AMD GPU's still offer much better performance and "profit potential" than Nvidia in nearly every mining situation. Given the choice, avoid Nvidia.

Idk but the highest hashrate number I have seen on any site are all butterfly labs...

Also AMD gpus are much better at mining then nvidia, but they are still consumer graphics cards, not meant for 24/7 mining use. A dedicated ASIC will always be the better choice, especially if your power is more expensive than 10c/KWh

Spoiler

Idk but the highest hashrate number I have seen on any site are all butterfly labs...

Also AMD gpus are much better at mining then nvidia, but they are still consumer graphics cards, not meant for 24/7 mining use. A dedicated ASIC will always be the better choice, especially if your power is more expensive than 10c/KWh

LiteCoin is script-based. This means it is ASIC resistant, and as of the writing of this post no ASIC's have been developed to mine LiteCoins.

Mining isnt for profit. You should expect nothing more than what you put into the hardware. So if you invest $500 in good hardware, you should get about $500 back. If you would like to try your luck though, your best bet would be to get a used 7970 off of Amazon to play with.

~Judah

LiteCoin is script-based. This means it is ASIC resistant, and as of the writing of this post no ASIC's have been developed to mine LiteCoins.

Mining isnt for profit. You should expect nothing more than what you put into the hardware. So if you invest $500 in good hardware, you should get about $500 back. If you would like to try your luck though, your best bet would be to get a used 7970 off of Amazon to play with.

I thought that these articles 

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/innosilicon-a2-terminator-scrypt-asics-first-28nm-chips-litecoin-dogecoin-mining/2014/04/30 

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/11125/asics-litecoin-come/

said that you could mine it with ASICs...?

Spoiler

^^^^ This is why you don't come the LTT forums for mining tips.

Script asic have been on the market for 8-9 months. If you do some research in places other than here you will find other algorithms  you can mine with gpu's but Its not the best time to invest in new gpu rigs.

^^^^ This is why you don't come the LTT forums for mining tips.

Script asic have been on the market for 8-9 months. If you do some research in places other than here you will find other algorithms  you can mine with gpu's but Its not the best time to invest in new gpu rigs.

I know right? There isn't a stick long enough for me to not touch this thread with.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

I know right? There isn't a stick long enough for me to not touch this thread with.

and yet you post on it...

~Judah

You can mine BitCoin with ASICs, because it is based on SHA256. LiteCoin is another matter though.

I looked through the articles, and it looks interesting. It gave no details on the products though, it only said that they exists. And when clicking on the link at the bottom of the page (here if you missed it) everything was pre-order only. Looking around, i saw more "asics" but they either got about the same performance as a GPU, or had some fantastic benchmarks but were for pre-order only

~Judah

and yet you post on it...

By touching I mean replying to the wealth of knowledge available in this thread. Sometimes you just have to let the clusterfucks evolve naturally just to see how bad they get.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

You can mine BitCoin with ASICs, because it is based on SHA256. LiteCoin is another matter though.

I looked through the articles, and it looks interesting. It gave no details on the products though, it only said that they exists. And when clicking on the link at the bottom of the page (here if you missed it) everything was pre-order only. Looking around, i saw more "asics" but they either got about the same performance as a GPU, or had some fantastic benchmarks but were for pre-order only

Those articles are old check the dates on them. you can buy asics that ship or hosted the next day from many places, like http://zoomhash.com and http://gawminers.com

But right now investing in these would only be profitable if LTC jumps back to the $20-$40 range

By touching I mean replying to the wealth of knowledge available in this thread. Sometimes you just have to let the clusterfucks evolve naturally just to see how bad they get.

Look, we get it, you like mining. Every time I see you around you preach as if coinmining is some sort of religion that you have to defend at every given opportunity. Calm down.