AT2020 USB Microphone Review!

As per the usual, I have a written and a video review of the microphone.  Some people prefer one medium to the other and I try to help both parties. :)

My cat plays fetch in this video, so you know... Watch it.  For science.

http://youtu.be/zVfJQAVm6tQ

I chose the AT2020USB for three reasons: it was cheap, black, and performed well according to reviews.

This awesome microphone is a cardioid type microphone powered by the USB that also transfers data.  No driver needed, just automatically detected by Windows and you are up and running.  Just make to change it as your default device in your recording devices section/what program you are using!

When you look at the price point there are a myriad of options, but two really stand out. The AT2020USB and the Blue Yeti USB. I was leaning more towards the Blue Yeti at first, but this I chose the AT2020USB because it was black.  I know, a  bit vain but I really didn’t want a silver microphone on a black stand with a black keyboard, a black mouse, black monitors… Well, you get the point, I did not want it to stick out.  From my research, the Blue Yeti is not really a superior microphone, but just one with a different set of features and function.  Obviously I would not choose a microphone purely on looks especially when a competitor could offer more at the same price.

In a sense, this microphone is cheap.  At the time of purchasing, the hundred dollars I spent on it did not seem like much. It may not be in everyone’s budget to spend 100 dollars on a microphone for Skype, VoiP communications, and a small time youtube channel, but I feel like it was worth it considering the quality I do get out of the microphone.  

It does perform well, but sadly not in the main application I bought it for.  The main reason I bought it was for my youtube channel.  It is a great hobby that has taught me many skills I might have not otherwise obtained.  It’s a great podcasting microphone and that’s what it is marketed towards.  Do not get me wrong, you can get great quality out of the microphone in the application of youtube videos. I believe I have displayed that quite well in my previous reviews. If I purchased a microphone actually suited for my application, I could not only get better audio quality but not have to spend as much time or maybe even any time editing it like I currently do.

So why doesn't it work well for my application? Like previously said, it’s not actually meant for what I’m doing.  It works great for skyping with friends or other forms of VoiP communication, but not as well for youtube.  I have fixed this to some extent by keeping the AT2020USB near my face to reduce the echoes and ambient noise that would be prevalent if I kept the microphone out of frame. I’m going to be experimenting a bit more with the microphone and adjusting my camera shots so that I can hopefully get it out of frame until I can afford a better microphone solution.

All in all it’s a great microphone. It definitely has its purpose and I hate that I am not using it for that, but even for what I am using for it works.  I would definitely recommend the microphone, just make sure you know what you are getting into!

You can see all of my reviews posted in the Member Reviews Section! 

you need a dynamic mic

I am going to sell my Yeti and get an electro-voice re320

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, definitely won't be purchasing a 300 dollar microphone any time soon.  :P  Especially since I don't even have a proper pre-amp for something like that...

I'm surprised more people haven't look at this. I mean heck, a cat plays fetch guys.  A. Cat. Plays. Fetch. 

I'm still searching for what preamp/mixer I am going to use.  I'm considering either a USB mixer with 4-8 channels or get an H4N and separate microphone. Just depends on what I really want to do.  All situations are not ideal when a budget is in mind. :P

Be any good for VoiceOver stuff if it's in an isolation booth?

Sorry, but my internet is capped - couldn't watch the video,

How is it compared to the t.bone SC450? With a Behringer Xenyx 302 usb this comes pretty much in the same pricerange.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Be any good for VoiceOver stuff if it's in an isolation booth?

Sorry, but my internet is capped - couldn't watch the video,

Condenser mics like this generally have great sound quality and are often used for voice overs in booths

But since most of us do not have a sound proof room they are super sensitive to ambient noise

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Condenser mics like this generally have great sound quality and are often used for voice overs in booths

But since most of us do not have a sound proof room they are super sensitive to ambient noise

Thanks. I may spring out and get this then. My condenser lavalier is pretty good, but does a weird thing everything now and then where it seems to "invert" with my voice being cancelled out and the ambient noise being the main recording.

I do want something I can sit on a little soundbooth on my desk and this seems pretty perfect (though $200 here). Plus the included tripod is nice to see, with all that's needed being a pop filter I guess.

Thanks. I may spring out and get this then. My condenser lavalier is pretty good, but does a weird thing everything now and then where it seems to "invert" with my voice being cancelled out and the ambient noise being the main recording.

I do want something I can sit on a little soundbooth on my desk and this seems pretty perfect (though $200 here). Plus the included tripod is nice to see, with all that's needed being a pop filter I guess.

yes pop filter is 100% needed, condenders are bad with that

My Blue Yeti does a great job recording my voice but I am being forced to switch to dynamic because I cannot guarantee a noise free environment during voice over / commentary 

For the money its a good mic

I'm still searching for what preamp/mixer I am going to use.  I'm considering either a USB mixer with 4-8 channels or get an H4N and separate microphone. Just depends on what I really want to do.  All situations are not ideal when a budget is in mind. :P

As a mixer the H4N is probably more then a bit of overkill. you'd most likely be better off going with a standard mixer or maybe an XLR interface like the Blue Icicle if you don't need the control over everything.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

You can totally see your cat cleaning itself through the "blur".

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

As a mixer the H4N is probably more then a bit of overkill. you'd most likely be better off going with a standard mixer or maybe an XLR interface like the Blue Icicle if you don't need the control over everything.

The H4N is a bit overkill,  but it also has a lot of nice features especially being able to mount in on a camera rig.  I am considering something like the Behringer 4-8 channel USB mixer.  It'd be nice to have all of my audio devices in one interface.  (Besides my headphones of course

The H4N is a bit overkill,  but it also has a lot of nice features especially being able to mount in on a camera rig.  I am considering something like the Behringer 4-8 channel USB mixer.  It'd be nice to have all of my audio devices in one interface.  (Besides my headphones of course

Right. You may still be able to get the mixer outputting to your camera should you need it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

condenser mics are a more sensitive, background noise and sometimes can be fixed by gain. and you'd be better off with a dynamic mic for the same price like the sm58.

I wouldn't bother with a condenser mic in general if it isn't XLR.

but the cats get 10/10 because I like cats. Awesome review too xD  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

condenser mics are a more sensitive, background noise and sometimes can be fixed by gain. and you'd be better off with a dynamic mic for the same price like the sm58.

I wouldn't bother with a condenser mic in general if it isn't XLR.

but the cats get 10/10 because I like cats. Awesome review too xD

I'll definitely be going a different route when I have the extra cash to pony up for a new mic, but right now it is the least if my worries.

And thanks! I've been having a lot of fun with YouTube and definitely plan on continuing it!

My cats will always be a part of my videos because they are always in my office....

I'll definitely be going a different route when I have the extra cash to pony up for a new mic, but right now it is the least if my worries.

And thanks! I've been having a lot of fun with YouTube and definitely plan on continuing it!

My cats will always be a part of my videos because they are always in my office....

what did you use in the Editing process for the at2020? i like the sound. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I first make sure it isn't peaking anywhere. Get a noise profile from a section that doesn't have me talking and then use that for all of the audio. I may compress it as well depending on the placement of the mic in the video and finish up with making sure It Isn't peaking after my changes. Export as wav and add it to premiere pro!

If you'd like I could do a video tutorial next week.

I first make sure it isn't peaking anywhere. Get a noise profile from a section that doesn't have me talking and then use that for all of the audio. I may compress it as well depending on the placement of the mic in the video and finish up with making sure It Isn't peaking after my changes. Export as wav and add it to premiere pro!

If you'd like I could do a video tutorial next week.

that'll be cool :) subbed

Computing enthusiast. 

that'll be cool :) subbed

I'll get it out next week since I have a few days off. Having an anniversary get away this weekend so I won't be able to do it until early next week. :P

I'll get it out next week since I have a few days off. Having an anniversary get away this weekend so I won't be able to do it until early next week. :P

Enjoy your anniversary :) 

Computing enthusiast. 

Would you suggest this mic to a small-moderate sized youtube channel owner? I've been looking at it for quite a while but have not made a solid decision on what mic I will be getting.

(Currently my only mic is the one built into my turtle beach z11 headset, it does a somewhat decent job for a built-in mic, but it is far from perfect)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Would you suggest this mic to a small-moderate sized youtube channel owner? I've been looking at it for quite a while but have not made a solid decision on what mic I will be getting.

(Currently my only mic is the one built into my turtle beach z11 headset, it does a somewhat decent job for a built-in mic, but it is far from perfect)

Watch the video review. ;)

Uploaded it today!  Surprisingly, it was really easy to make.  I think I might do a series like this of what I've learned over time. :D  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GHwfstn-4

Apparently tapatalk never sent my message....

Watch my video review on whether or not I would recommend it for a small youtube channel. ;)

Uploaded it today!  Surprisingly, it was really easy to make.  I think I might do a series like this of what I've learned over time. :D

Apparently tapatalk never sent my message....

Watch my video review on whether or not I would recommend it for a small youtube channel. ;)

thanks a lot!  xD

Computing enthusiast. 

thanks a lot!  xD

You're welcome!  Is this a series of videos you'd want to personally watch?  Got any other topics or anything else you'd like to see?

You're welcome!  Is this a series of videos you'd want to personally watch?  Got any other topics or anything else you'd like to see?

I usually find myself needing something to watch so whatever you upload i'll probably watch.

Computing enthusiast.