Web of Trust Firefox Add on

techenthused73

Hi,

Anybody use the Web of Trust add on for Firefox.  Does it do anything other than interface with the browser?

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

I stopped using it a while ago.  Its un-accurate and some of my friends who too work for AVG have suspected it as a Potentially Unwanted Program in some circumstances.  But, I guess it could be useful.  Firefox and Chrome will automatically block allot of malicious websites that are malicious.  

I think it's a pretty good add-on. Sure it's to be taken with a grain of salt and I don't really notice it most of the time, but really what I'd say it is would be a waypointer. Green means good and yellow means "be careful" as it either has a lot of mixed reviews or there's not enough feedback to make a good enough judgement.

The reports are, to my knowledge, all community driven so it's generally based on an average score from user submissions with a few alorithms to make the scoring more reliable and "fair" like requiring several user reports to be reported as fully reputable (like, if only 3 users have submitted a rating for a certain site and they all say it's good, it'll still only show a yellow "be careful" rating). A blank rating simply means that there isn't any feedback statistics.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution -nothing is- but mixed with common sense it's a good tool for getting quick insight in what to you should expect.

I stopped using it a while ago.  Its un-accurate and some of my friends who too work for AVG have suspected it as a Potentially Unwanted Program in some circumstances.  But, I guess it could be useful.  Firefox and Chrome will automatically block allot of malicious websites that are malicious.  

I wouldn't really say it's inaccurate. I explained above how it works and that you shouldn't take for granted that the reports are 100%.

Calling it "Potentially Unwanted" is quite far fetched I'd say, but seeing how AVG has their own "Link Scanner" program that more or less is competing with this add-on, I suppose that might explain those claims a bit.

Yeah, I'm aware that pretty much all browsers will try to block malicious websites, but generally they only block known malicious websites (based on virus database info) where this rates websites on a wider scale based on general reputation and how trustworthy it is, including categories that browsers don't really filter like shady online stores and, to some extent, websites that are generally annoying or try to scare you or make you vomit. Examples would be random chinese or korea-based websites that sell things at really low prices but only exist to scam you (people fall for these all the time I'm afraid), websites that try to prank you by playing some random meme or annoying video or whatnot and don't let you close it (by displaying a seemingly infinite amount of popups when you try to close it) or just gross sexual fetish stuff you find people sharing here and there.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  I did install the add on today after reading a  great number of reviews on the Firefox add on page.  So far it seems to be unobtrusive if you have the settings set correctly.  I'll take any help I can get as I often do searches and Norton can't seem to get the site ratings working with the Google search in Firefox.  Symantec's use of Ask.com for Safe Search is really slow and does not provide the best results.  I have been the victum of some malware I have pinned down to some search. (I think).  Seems like the virus/malware problem has ramped up lately.  Where I work the e-mail system is getting a lot of e-mails that they have had to quarantine.  And they use strong security software. 

I haven't said it before but this is an extremely useful forum site.  I appreciate all the users and whoever set it up.   :)

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  I did install the add on today after reading a  great number of reviews on the Firefox add on page.  So far it seems to be unobtrusive if you have the settings set correctly.  I'll take any help I can get as I often do searches and Norton can't seem to get the site ratings working with the Google search in Firefox.  Symantec's use of Ask.com for Safe Search is really slow and does not provide the best results.  I have been the victum of some malware I have pinned down to some search. (I think).  Seems like the virus/malware problem has ramped up lately.  Where I work the e-mail system is getting a lot of e-mails that they have had to quarantine.  And they use strong security software. 

I haven't said it before but this is an extremely useful forum site.  I appreciate all the users and whoever set it up.   :)

Why do you search with Norton???  Norton is like the worst thing ever, Ask.com is like cancer and infects your computer, ask is like Google but it shows links to viruses instead of legit articles, thats what its almost like. 

Also, I don't think you need it but.  Just, do yourself a favor and don't search with Norton.  If you must have Norton's crappy protection change your internet DNS server to Norton DNS. 

I think it's a pretty good add-on. Sure it's to be taken with a grain of salt and I don't really notice it most of the time, but really what I'd say it is would be a waypointer. Green means good and yellow means "be careful" as it either has a lot of mixed reviews or there's not enough feedback to make a good enough judgement.

The reports are, to my knowledge, all community driven so it's generally based on an average score from user submissions with a few alorithms to make the scoring more reliable and "fair" like requiring several user reports to be reported as fully reputable (like, if only 3 users have submitted a rating for a certain site and they all say it's good, it'll still only show a yellow "be careful" rating). A blank rating simply means that there isn't any feedback statistics.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution -nothing is- but mixed with common sense it's a good tool for getting quick insight in what to you should expect.

I wouldn't really say it's inaccurate. I explained above how it works and that you shouldn't take for granted that the reports are 100%.

Calling it "Potentially Unwanted" is quite far fetched I'd say, but seeing how AVG has their own "Link Scanner" program that more or less is competing with this add-on, I suppose that might explain those claims a bit.

Yeah, I'm aware that pretty much all browsers will try to block malicious websites, but generally they only block known malicious websites (based on virus database info) where this rates websites on a wider scale based on general reputation and how trustworthy it is, including categories that browsers don't really filter like shady online stores and, to some extent, websites that are generally annoying or try to scare you or make you vomit. Examples would be random chinese or korea-based websites that sell things at really low prices but only exist to scam you (people fall for these all the time I'm afraid), websites that try to prank you by playing some random meme or annoying video or whatnot and don't let you close it (by displaying a seemingly infinite amount of popups when you try to close it) or just gross sexual fetish stuff you find people sharing here and there.

No, AVG has stopped bundling in their Toolbar, anyone who uses AVG toolbar today clearly doesn't know really what they are doing.   The AVG webblocking now, like every other antivirus is bundled in to the antivirus as a standalone shield.  

If anything is competing with WOT its Avast WebRep.  

I use it. It prevents you from visiting dangerous sites that can launch malware. It's very accurate.

I use it. It prevents you from visiting dangerous sites that can launch malware. It's very accurate.

I used to use it.   If you want to use it thats fine, but for me.  I hate it and won't thanks.  

I used to use it.   If you want to use it thats fine, but for me.  I hate it and won't thanks.

I didn't ask you?

I didn't ask you?

I sorry, I thought you were asking me.  

I don't go by forum names, I go by pictures.  So I sometimes get people messed up.  My apologies.

I use it on chrome, ive not used it with any other explorers so far, i like it, it is community driven so dont put completely rely on it but its a nice heads up if you are on a site that you have never used before.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Why do you search with Norton???  Norton is like the worst thing ever, Ask.com is like cancer and infects your computer, ask is like Google but it shows links to viruses instead of legit articles, thats what its almost like. 

Also, I don't think you need it but.  Just, do yourself a favor and don't search with Norton.  If you must have Norton's crappy protection change your internet DNS server to Norton DNS. 

Why is there such hate against Norton?  And if Norton isn't good what is?  And due to the problems I will never use the Ask.com safe search in Norton.  I do use Malwarebytes. But apparently it didn't catch it either.

Why is there such hate against Norton?  And if Norton isn't good what is?  And due to the problems I will never use the Ask.com safe search in Norton.  I do use Malwarebytes. But apparently it didn't catch it either.

Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft.  They are all better than Norton.  The only reason there is hate against Norton is because their products are only medioker in detection and prevention compared to even allot of free solutions.   Ask.com itself isn't malware but their advertisements are 100% malicious.  

And when I say Norton I mean the Norton search, The antivirus isn't good but its not horrible either.  Also, looking back.  My post may have been a bit on the rude side, it was late here and I was tired.  So I apologize.  

I've personally seen Norton 360 give me a failure message when I told it to clean a file it had detected as infected on my father's computer. The same file Norton failed to remove I was, without issue, manually able remove just by navigating to it (it was in the downloads folder) and click "delete" then simply empty recycle bin.

Another point is that Norton is a fairly common and well-known one, and I don't mean that in a hipster way. But simply put, my logic is that common mainstream AV's like Norton, McAfee and (arguably) Kaspersky are generally the ones virus/malware producers will try and circumvent because that's the ones most people will be using. It's the same reason Windows gets WAY more viruses and malware than Mac or Linux - more people use it.

---

Avast and Comodo are my personal recommendations for free AV's. For paid, I personally use, and recommend, Eset.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

It's awesome. I don't need it (I installed it for my mum too), but I have it anyways.

I wouldn't say it's inaccurate, more like community-driven do it is based on what the community thinks.

Compatible with Windows 95