I would never buy a barebones kit for myself as they would just never fit my requirements for my main rig, however, when I build a gaming rig for a friend I pretty much always go barebones for sheer simplicity (of explanation as much as build), and in this case aesthetic. look forward to the next time a friend needs a console killer so i can play with one of these. But yea, never for me.

like the review slick, would love to see more, well designed, bare bones kits covered.

#1 Yes, please do

#2 Yes, after watching this.

LukeTechTips FTW :)

In response to the talk about reviewing that Noctua Cooler... Heck yes.  Small FF boxes are becoming so much more ubiquitous and smaller air coolers are definitely something i've been trying to find more info on.  To this point, TomsHardware has the only roundup of several that i've really been able to find.  Could really care less about barebones cases personally, but im sure there are people who do.

I'm impressed with this case.  I just did my second SFF build in it. Yes the EVGA Hadron air is smaller but his is not much bigger.  I was able to fir an R9 290 with aftermarket cooler with no issues.  I was also able to include a Corsair H60 AIO cooler to cool the i7-4790K without an issue.  installation was a breeze especially all the drives.  Overall its a great case.  An those wondering if you can game on it, here are the scores from Firestrike. e2a3aeb7b3.PNG

Green Snek - Razer Blade 2017 - i7-7700HQ - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 512GB Samsung PM951 SSD- Dell WD15 Dock for Home Use- 27" Samsung Curved Monitor

LOL to the NCIX link going to a Lenovo Y50 search.

NCIX link is pointing to a lenovo search.

Yep I'm bad... Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out :)

I prefer to build my systems from the ground up but to be honest a ton of these bare bones machines are attractive and to be honest if it has good bones like msi, asus, and what not its decent.... when the parts are parts that i would suggest for a build anyways why not. also i like the slot load disk drives.... they are so hidden, only reason i dont have a disk drive in my build is because it would just ugly up the front of my case

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

Thats a pretty compact system lol. Not really a fan of barebones systems personally, I like being able to choose it all myself and then build it. 

@Slick I want to see you do more reviews overall, you specifically. Quite a good sense of humor you have there.

Yes to reviewing the Noctua NH-12

No to barebones systems

Yes to scratch builds.

Do I see a corsair sponsored LTT edition SteamMachine in the future? (I would probably buy that actually)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Barebones aren't really that interesting, but I would like a review of the NH-L12. 

Were there any other drawbacks other than the ones mentioned?

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I am definitely interested is barebones pc's. Their compact-ness, looks, and potential for great value builds are all great. The last build I did used a barebones for exactly that third one  :)

sticking with protocol............ NO, no way do I like or would like seeing pre built machines or your view on them.....Like building my own. always have, always will. ............. the m-sata device ( dual ) nice concept. would like to see a raid array on it..>>??  The world is getting smaller. Still think the gpu should be the size of a cpu and have it's own little slot on the board. that way you can give it proper cooling ( and yes, further shrink the size of components....)

I really love the style Luke has when reviewing things, I would love some more of that.

Also please compare the Noctua cooler to stock and other coolers.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

While I like this MSI case because it has a handle on it I will not pay a premium for it.  Please can we see more gamer cases have handles.  It should be an extra but not something that costs an extreme amount of extra money to have on a case.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I'd like a review of the NH-12 cooler :)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

nice video but you guys forgot to include what you get in the barebones kit, does it come with a psu and motherboard? if so which ones? I know i could look it up on newegg or ncix but its nice to include that in the video review.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

nice video but you guys forgot to include what you get in the barebones kit, does it come with a psu and motherboard? if so which ones? I know i could look it up on newegg or ncix but its nice to include that in the video review.

this kit includes the MSI Z97 iTX mobo

the PSU is already installed in the system

the PSU is a Silverstone SFX 600 Watt 80+ Gold

forget if the slot load dvd writer is included or not

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Great job Luke! Do review the Noctua cooler. That'd be a departure from all the large coolers. 

Barebones are cool shortcuts for many of us. Even those of us who like building from the ground up would likely use a barebone to build a machine for a parent or a non-techie friend. Please continue to review or feature these items.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...