How powerful was the ps3 when it came out

SirNumbers

I was 7 so i dont know, can anyone describe the hype of something thanks

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

inb4 "Pc master race hur dur dur". 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

It was so powerful that many people started using them for servers and i also didn't know it was so powerful when it came out i was also very young

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

It was so powerful that many people started using them for servers and i also didn't know it was so powerful when it came out i was also very young

you could run linux on hit :D then sony patched it :((

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It was advance at the time because of the cell processor and it cost less than a normal blu ray player.

It was rather powerful for the money and put some pretty cool looking games in the living room back, surpassing a vast majority of gaming PCs at they time because they were still rather expensive to get. Not revolutionary in terms of processing power mind you, but it wasn't a laughably weak machines like the new consoles.

you could run linux on hit :D then sony patched it :((

They fixed it with the slim model, I think you can still run linux on the phat models. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Someone built a supercomputer by sticking a bunch of PS3s together, so... yes it had some potential...

Someone built a supercomputer by sticking a bunch of PS3s together, so... yes it had some potential...

Yep the U.S military bought 500 ps3's and built a super computer because it was cheaper then buying the parts individually

Barnacules has talked about it on the latest WAN show.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

We ll I remember hearing that the 'cell' was based on a power PC so it was probably pretty decent at the time. I'd say it was better relative to gaming PCs at the time than the PS4 is relative to gaming PCs now.

HOSTNAME: VERA | OS: Win10 | CASE: NZXT H440 | CPU: i7 8700K | GPU: EVGA  GTX1080 FTW | MEMORY: 2x8GB Team Group 8pack edition 3200MHz 14-14-14-31 | PSU: Seasonic P1000 | SSD: Vertex 4 512GB, 2 x SanDisk Ultra 2 960GB | HDD: 8TB total | DISPLAY: Acer Predator 1080p 144 Hz G Sync + Acer 27" 1080p | MOBO: Asus Prime-P | KEYBOARD, MOUSE AND PAD: Ducky Shine 5, Corsair M65 Pro and Razer Sabertooth | AUDIO: ASUS Xonar Phoebus, Corsair SP2500, AKG Q701 + ModMic, Audio Technica ATH-M50x | COOLER: Corsair H100i

It was difficult to measure how powerful it was. It was considered very powerful for it's time but difficult to access. Basically a lot of theoretical performance. The media went Totally over the top predicting the end of pc gaming.

It was really powerful, BUT it wasn't really able to leverage most of it's power during it's life cycle. It's like the desktop CPUs. In theory an i7 is more powerful, but in most cases it'll run games like an i5 simply because the game can't leverage the extra cores.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

• 2 weeks later...

It was really powerful, BUT it wasn't really able to leverage most of it's power during it's life cycle. It's like the desktop CPUs. In theory an i7 is more powerful, but in most cases it'll run games like an i5 simply because the game can't leverage the extra cores.

If an 8 year console generation isn't long enough for it to leverage most of its power then I don't know what they were thinking when they designed it.

I was 7 so i dont know, can anyone describe the hype of something thanks

this days friend  ^_^ (yes, is not perfect, you get the picture anyway)

PS3 = R5 230

The Cell processor was (and still is) quite a beast in computing tasks but Sony equipped their console with two memory pools and a weak GPU which results in a big performance loss.

144Hz goodness

The Cell processor was (and still is) quite a beast in computing tasks but Sony equipped their console with two memory pools and a weak GPU which results in a big performance loss.

The split memory is more a trade off between ease of development to performance gain, bandwidth wise at least.. Devs had/have to shuffle around more data between the pools, which the system has all the features to do, but still is a bit of a balancing act. If it was more like a 384/128 or 320/192 split in ram pool sizes, there might have been much greater parity with 3rd party ports.

And the difference in GPU strength could be argued that some of the deficiencies were made up by the Cell, later in its life it allowed for some more advanced forms of AA and compute functions that just wouldn't run on a GPU from that era. PS3 also had some of the better looking games over all,

here is a great conference (is long) of the many GPUs use in all PlayStation ^-^

Cell processor was really powerful, but way too complex to properly write code for. The GPU was good, but nothing special.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!