building a console

gampla

why would anyone limit their pc by putting a shitty OS on it that does nothing but read disks or downloaded game files from one specific store?

instead build the pc and put a "good " os on it and you have a gaming pc :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

you mean buying a PC?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

if you could build your next console like a pc would you?

i wouldn't see the point in it plus it would be hard for game developers optimizing the game for everyone since not everyone will have the same hardware and if you had to build your console why would you not just get a PC instead 

Doesn't make sense.

the only pro of the console is not having to think, and you are overthinking it.

why would anyone limit their pc by putting a shitty OS on it that does nothing but read disks or downloaded game files from one specific store?

Somebody should have told Valve that before they came up with the clever "Steam machines" idea.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Somebody should have told Valve that before they came up with the clever "Steam machines" idea.

yea, tho as long as they make it able to run normal programs aswell it will be fine :P also Steam OP compared to PS store or whatever Xbox uses

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

If I were to build a console it would probably run off of a banana pi. I would most certainly not build one with standard pc hardware, what's the point? (looking at you sony and ms)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

are you trying to say SteamOS is bad?   :lol: i can see a few good things in it

are you trying to say SteamOS is bad?   :lol: i can see a few good things in it

There are good ideas here and there, but in the grand scheme of things, the steam machines make no sense. Too complicated and probabilistic for console users, and too restrictive and costly for the PC users. To put a short of it, it does not even have a target audience, let alone a good one.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

• 2 weeks later...

If you build a PC and put xbox or PS OS the games wouldn't run any better they would run at the same setting as they would on a xbox or PS

If I wanted to play my PC like a console I would hook it up to my TV and run Steam in Big Picture mode.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

basically a console is a crappy pc..ish with some lost functions so their isn't really a question here an xbone/piece of **** 4 has a small form factor but there are some tiny cases out there. 

Why doesn't Microsoft build a Console with Windows?

Why doesn't Microsoft build a Console with Windows?

because they wouldn't make royalties the same way they do with xbox.

honestly if they had excuted Games for Windows Live properly this whole console bs may be a different scene today.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

if you could build your next console like a pc would you?

Consoles are widespread and uses the same hardware. That's what makes it a console. 

If you "build" your own console, than optimization will be shit and ruin the console itself.

Just build a PC and hook up a controller if you must...

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

There are good ideas here and there, but in the grand scheme of things, the steam machines make no sense. Too complicated and probabilistic for console users, and too restrictive and costly for the PC users. To put a short of it, it does not even have a target audience, let alone a good one.

Put it on a NUC, use it for in-home-streaming....

or alternatively install Ubuntu and Steam on a NUC and have it boot into it Big Picture mode.... because that's basically what Steam OS is

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Dual Bootable or bust. And the "console OS" part better have good performance scaling with the hardware put in (Because I certainly wouldn't like putting in a good GPU only to see a 10FPS improvement). 

because they wouldn't make royalties the same way they do with xbox.

honestly if they had excuted Games for Windows Live properly this whole console bs may be a different scene today.

For all I care, this might have been one of the things (Steve Jobs' apprehension was another) that would have prevented a round 2 for an Apple console.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.