Windows 8.1 usb install Easier then linuses method.

Arty

Linus Video

his way is more steps more comlications.

this way and even Easier way

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Download

enter key

usb

Done

It will auto pic os depending on your key.

"Once you have your product key and are on a PC running Windows 8.1Windows 8, or Windows 7, follow these steps:

1. Run the Windows 8.1 Setup program.

2. When prompted to run or save the file, choose Run

3. When prompted to enter a product key, enter the 25-digit product key you received when you bought Windows 8.1.

4. When prompted to install Windows 8.1, select Install by creating media, and then click Next.

5. Select the type of media you want to use: either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

To create a USB flash drive
    1. Click USB flash drive.

2. Plug the USB flash drive into a USB port on your PC.

3. When prompted, select the USB drive you want to use and then click Next.

If you have files on the USB flash drive, they'll be deleted.

""""

Yeah I though about the same method when I watched the video.

Linus is losing his touch.

That method mostly for pirates..

Linus is losing his touch.

That method mostly for pirates..

The USB method?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Because computers without a CD ROM drive is CRAZY!

Netbooks don't have them. A lot of Notebooks don't have them either.

Hell, my desktop doesn't even have one anymore

Unless you want to use a USB made by SanDisk, than you have to change it using the command prompt so it can be used as a bootable drive.

The USB method?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Because computers without a CD ROM drive is CRAZY!

Netbooks don't have them. A lot of Notebooks don't have them either.

Hell, my desktop doesn't even have one anymore

No the method he used to get usb....lol you mis understood

Unless you want to use a USB made by SanDisk, than you have to change it using the command prompt so it can be used as a bootable drive.

worked just fine with my pny..drive

The method Linus shows doesn't create a UEFI bootable USB, which would be nice when you're using Windows 8(.1) with a UEFI motherboard.

No the method he used to get usb....lol you mis understood

You saw nothing  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

worked just fine with my pny..drive

Ones made by SanDisk are formatted in a way so they can't be bootable.

Ones made by SanDisk are formatted in a way so they can't be bootable.

false, i have a 2 scandisk drives too. one running ubuntu other windows 7 installer.

false, i have a 2 scandisk drives too. one running ubuntu other windows 7 installer.

Whenever I plug in a SanDisk USB it's detected as a hard drive instead of removeable storage. So when I attempt to search for it in the boot menu it doesn't appear. Using the command prompt I have create a special partition and then mount the bootsect file to it just to make it show up than I can move the files over. Ubuntu works fine for install without those steps but Windows doesn't.

EDIT: http://www.how2labs.info/2013/01/how-to-make-sandisk-usb-bootable.html

^ That's what I have to do in order to make it work for me.

Whenever I plug in a SanDisk USB it's detected as a hard drive instead of removeable storage. So when I attempt to search for it in the boot menu it doesn't appear. Using the command prompt I have create a special partition and then mount the bootsect file to it just to make it show up than I can move the files over. Ubuntu works fine for install without those steps but Windows doesn't.

Weird..when every i buy flash drives, i always foramt it to exfat.  are you buying newer scandisk? i have a good 5/7 from 3 years ago that boot fine and are removable drive. 

Weird..when every i buy flash drives, i always foramt it to exfat.  are you buying newer scandisk? i have a good 5/7 from 3 years ago that boot fine and are removable drive. 

I have 2 that were bought within the last few months.

I have 2 that were bought within the last few months.

must be a thing with newer ones..

must be a thing with newer ones..

I believe it is, I think I saw an article where SanDisk said they didn't want their drives to be used as boot drives.

I believe it is, I think I saw an article where SanDisk said they didn't want their drives to be used as boot drives.

Well they should shove their drives up their asses for being assholes....

The method Linus shows doesn't create a UEFI bootable USB, which would be nice when you're using Windows 8(.1) with a UEFI motherboard.

Agreed. Also, Rufus is a much nicer tools, with more options a well as the ability to deal with Linux ISOs as well.

That's normal if you try to use an NTFS thumbdrive. The NTFS partitioner leaves a protective area on the disk layout so you don't accidentally overwrite the partition when installing an old bootloader. This is fixed by using the NT6 (Vista) bootlader instead, which is done by the "bootsect.exe /nt60" command.

I'd like a source on that. Using NTFS on newer drives is perfectly normal (even expected by some) for larger drives because you expect to be able to write files > 4GiB. Compared to exFAT, NTFS has a bunch of extra corruption protection techniques, which is why if the choice is between exFAT and NTFS, you should choose NTFS if all your devices support it.

So on the site it says you can't use this method when you have a windows "8" product key.  I do not have a 8.1 key i have a windows 8 key. 

Any tips?

So on the site it says you can't use this method when you have a windows "8" product key.  I do not have a 8.1 key i have a windows 8 key. 

Any tips?

8.1 is a free upgrade,  use that then after install go to windows store and upgrade :D if the program expects the key.

which version is it. if it doesn't work ill find iso for you

Well they should shove their drives up their asses for being assholes....

Both my flash drives are Sandisk drives.  One is a really old 8GB and one is a newer 32GB usb 3.0.  The 32GB installed windows 7 in UEFI mode just fine and I've installed Linux a bunch of times on the other drive.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Both my flash drives are Sandisk drives.  One is a really old 8GB and one is a newer 32GB usb 3.0.  The 32GB installed windows 7 in UEFI mode just fine and I've installed Linux a bunch of times on the other drive.

Mine are detected as HDD's instead of removable storage and I can only change it by using the command prompt.

I recently did the linus method and the only problem I ran in to was fat32 did not work. It kept giving me an error message telling me there were files missing and would quite installing around 30%. I had to reformat the usb as NTSF for it to work.

I have one from 3-4 years ago, does that count as new?

They're phasing that out (fairly sure) but a fair few still have that problem. I have 3x SanDisk Cruzer Facet drives and they obviously came from different batches (bought in the same 3 pack) and only 1 is listed as a local disk instead of removable.