Vesper by Maki Role - 3D printed pc - FINISHED! Final pics on page 3 - U/20th August 2014

Maki Role

Hello again everybody!

I figured it would be worth sharing with you a project I embarked on towards the end of last year. Loramentum is going strong (have some cool stuff to show over the next week, can't go any faster atm) and Azure Redux is dependent on my finishing Loramentum.

Brief:

This time last year, Bit-Tech paired up with Intel to offer a competition to design a novel case for a NUC. The brief was that it simply had to stick with the theme and reasoning behind the NUC product itself, so no sticking them in a 900D for the lulz. All the ports on the device had to be immediately accessible also (so no hidden USB ports sadly). Of the submissions, 5 would then be picked and sent the hardware, they would then build their designs and submit them for community voting a couple months later.

Summary:

The hardware going into this build is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U
Motherboard: Intel NUC D33217CK
RAM: 2GB Kingston 1333MHz KVR
Storage: Intel 30GB SSD
Power Supply: Asus EXA0703YH Laptop Adaptor

In this design, I wanted to try and make the most out of the production methods. 3D printing allows people to construct fantastic, organic shapes and I wanted to ensure that I wasn't wasting an opportunity. To soften the lines of the sides, I decided to opt for a wooden centre section, which will also help provide a more elegant look. I love combining old and new, and I think this results in a very modern design that will still fit in a period interior (which is where it will be going). On the 3D printing front, I've gone for SLS nylon, which is much stronger and more thermally stable than options offered by home printers.

Concept work:

Here are the concept renders for the project. Since the structure is 3D printed, I already had the models to hand, so rendering them just made sense really.

kbpeNh.jpg

iJbaQL.jpg

nU6Lgh.jpg

o8rqrJ.jpg

Progress Shots:

The quality isn't quite there with these sadly, I was still learning and getting to grips with a new camera at the time, they do improve later.

Motherboard top - Kindly provided by Intel

vwJklq.jpg

LRCAPk.jpg

Tiny cooler, but it seems to do the job fine, can't hear the thing at all during use.

ZJFzJs.jpg

Wifi Adapter - Kindly provided by Bit-Tech

Tev67Q.jpg

2 Gigs of RAM - Again Provided by Bit-Tech

PLHlmJ.jpg

And the 30GB SSD - Also provided by Bit-Tech

cf6cDP.jpg

All assembled

d1jgF8.jpg

Macro practice, come a long way since then.

B1GS2F.jpg

Hopefully you'll enjoy the journey of this little project, I certainly found it to be immense fun and a great learning experience!

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Damn that looks like a snazzy little machine, look forward to more!

This makes me mois......

erm, 

astonished, yeh  :ph34r:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

WOW. I am following this. Also cant wait to see the Loramentum pics :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Damn that looks like a snazzy little machine, look forward to more!

Cheers! I'll be putting out updates daily for this one, so should be pretty quick.

This makes me mois......

erm, 

astonished, yeh  :ph34r:

When-our-Seminary-teacher-tells-us-we-wi

WOW. I am following this. Also cant wait to see the Loramentum pics :lol:

Aha, yeah there are some exciting things planned. I've got the laser cut front panel on it's way, the cables can then be completely finished etc. then it's run p to completion!

sweet!

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Maki Role build = Instant follow!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

post-53148-0-09613000-1407533028.jpeg

DAMNIT. I forgot to follow. I always do this, say I am going to follow and then I forget to follow, any I have followed no :lol:

post-53148-0-09613000-1407533028.jpeg

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

sweet!

*Snip*

DAMNIT. I forgot to follow. I always do this, say I am going to follow and then I forget to follow, any I have followed no :lol:

Thanks guys!

tumblr_inline_mkpmomJ66H1qz4rgp.gif

And it's time for an update!

So here are the raw shots of the side panels straight from the 3D printer.  I really love how they came out, very strong, lightweight and durable, plus the printer had a pretty good resolution which will make finishing much easier.

wRXdnZ.jpg

0FvU9n.jpg

5Gmdix.jpg

morLwl.jpg

Nice, I can tell that this is going to be good

holy shit that detail i don't have enough tissues for this stuff 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Thanks!  Hopefully it'll live up your expectations.

:D

Am i missing something? Where'd you get that 3d printer:P :o

Steve

Am i missing something? Where'd you get that 3d printer:P :o

Oh I wish I had an SLS 3D printer, bit out of my price range however. I had these printed by a local firm in London. I've thought about picking up one of those smaller, desktop printers, but the technology's still a bit premature. What's great about SLS is the flexibility over what models you can print. The nylon material is really strong, but the best bit is that the model's supported by the surrounding material, meaning no support struts are necessary.

Oh I wish I had an SLS 3D printer, bit out of my price range however. I had these printed by a local firm in London. I've thought about picking up one of those smaller, desktop printers, but the technology's still a bit premature. What's great about SLS is the flexibility over what models you can print. The nylon material is really strong, but the best bit is that the model's supported by the surrounding material, meaning no support struts are necessary.

I wonder if there is like at a place like that near me. The designs look like the old batmobile batmobile-keaton-550x412.jpg#geekosystem

Steve

I wonder if there is like at a place like that near me. The designs look like the old batmobile

Possibly, most printing shops (heh, imagine saying that even 5 years ago) offer FDM services (the kind used by makerbots etc.). A quick google search should come up with a fair few results though, just look for SLS Nylon, it's a fair bit more costly however.

UPDATE!

Thought I'd show the different woods I considered for this project.  Originally I wasn't sure which to go for, so I picked up some burr maple, burl walnut, curl mahogany and burl vavona veneer sheets.  Personally I love all of them, but they're also not all suitable for the small scale of this project.  Close up, the vavona was definitely the most striking of the selection, so I decided to continue with that one.  I'll be French polishing the wooden centre, so the deep patterns will really pop.  I also fully sanded and primed up the sides so that they are completely smooth.

All smoothed down prior to priming.  Went from 80 through to 1200 grit. 

9lEhZe.jpg

Primed up and ever smoother than before, stopped again at 1200 grit to help paint adhesion.

xOW9X9.jpg

yp5qrm.jpg

Love how the whole thing is powered by this dinky laptop charger.

REbxat.jpg

Wifi antenna pigtails

wGD6Fb.jpg

BzwvEf.jpg

Burl walnut veneer

5phczz.jpg

FKzniy.jpg

Burl maple veneer

UMKdgt.jpg

Fai303.jpg

Burl vavona veneer 

VqNUJm.jpg

This simply looks amazing close up, so incredibly alien, a bit like the creep from Starcraft.

MzyEL9.jpg

Mahogany curl veneer

Y68u3E.jpg

aZJJPg.jpg

That's really nice

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

thats epic now we need the 4 way 780tis but that psu might struggle a bit :P

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

this looks so cooooooool, cant wait for more, subbed.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Haha thanks everybody! I did also like the look the of mahogany but sadly the scale is all wrong. Because this build is really small, you wouldn't be able to catch the wood pattern properly, which is a bit of a shame really. I'll have to see if I can include it in a future build somehow.

Haha thanks everybody! I did also like the look the of mahogany but sadly the scale is all wrong. Because this build is really small, you wouldn't be able to catch the wood pattern properly, which is a bit of a shame really. I'll have to see if I can include it in a future build somehow.

Also whats happening with loramentum, havent seen an update in a while? i dont mind either way, I mean it is something to take time over.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Also whats happening with loramentum, havent seen an update in a while? i dont mind either way, I mean it is something to take time over.

Waiting on the last piece of laser cutting, apparently it should be finished tomorrow. Frankly I'm not impressed at all by Cut Laser Cut. I went to them because they're local, so I figured they would be able to cut it quickly then I could collect it in person. Well, I can still collect in person, but they've pushed the cut date back twice and their communication is very lacking.

On a brighter note, that piece will signal the road to completion for Loramentum, pretty excited to see how it looks!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Title says you got wood 10/10 wood follow again (see my pun there)