Folding rig questions

I am looking into making a folding rig that I can run 24/7, but it has to be really cheap. So, I only can really look at eBay unless I can convince my dad to throw me some cash also. 

Here are my questions:

-Does the CPU have to be really powerful or can it just be a weak dual core like a core2duo or something like a pentium 4? 

-Nvidia GPU's or AMD GPU's?

-Do the GPU's have to run in 16x? can I just put them into a 1x slot by cutting the slot? or do they need the full bandwidth.

-What are some things that I have to make sure of?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Pretty much anything, even chromebooks can fold.

Pretty much anything, even chromebooks can fold.

My Old PC too? :wub:

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Core2Duo and such are fine - I just would not fold SMP (via the folding client) on the older ones but use the Google Chrome plugin to fold on older CPU's

NVidia or AMD does not matter in the end really for folding, Get what you can.

GPU's for folding run fine in via x1 - but, I am not sure of an x16 card will work in a x1 slot with the end cut. Typically I use x1 to x16 expanders to use extra cards in my GPU folders.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I got my old Pentium III system to fold.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Core2Duo and such are fine - I just would not fold SMP (via the folding client) on the older ones but use the Google Chrome plugin to fold on older CPU's

NVidia or AMD does not matter in the end really for folding, Get what you can.

GPU's for folding run fine in via x1 - but, I am not sure of an x16 card will work in a x1 slot with the end cut. Typically I use x1 to x16 expanders to use extra cards in my GPU folders.

What does the WU depend on?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I got my old Pentium III system to fold.

How many Work Units? Can I get my Celeron to do it?

COMING SOON

How many Work Units? Can I get my Celeron to do it?

I got about 2. Even a Celeron can fold, just not using the client, but the Chrome F@plugin like what @Whaler_99 said.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I got about 2. Even a Celeron can fold, just not using the client, but the Chrome F@plugin like what @Whaler_99 said.

Does it draw huge amounts of electricity? 

COMING SOON

Does it draw huge amounts of electricity? 

Nope, not even close to 30W.

Nope, not even close to 30W.

That's good :D

Gonna start it from tomorrow...

COMING SOON

A WU (Work Unit) is just was each Slot (in the FAH Client) or the Google Crome plugin downloads to work on. Any one item works on one WU at a time...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

What would you guys recommend for under $200?

@Whaler_99

@terrytek

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

For what, a GPU?

For what, a GPU?

Whole system, I can get a cpu/mobo for $50 and I dont need a case

Whole system, I can get a cpu/mobo for $50 and I dont need a case

G2358 and a cheap overclocking board. Maybe a GT610 may also suit this (if you don't need a lot of GPU power.)

well, the whole point with folding is donating processing power, the more processing power the better, the more processing horsepower you have the more work you will be capable of doing, you CAN fold on older less powerful hardware as long as it is supported, it isnt required to have powerful hardware, alittle bit is always better than nothing, but ofcourse the more processing power you have the better it is.

you might want to get cheap cpu/mobo and make your bets on getting the best gpu you can, the return from the cpu will be very low at that budget, but even this might be abit of a stretch at your budget. or you could forget about the gpu for now and invest in everything else and pick up a better gpu later, but that depends on what you are planning to do, are you tight on money and don't have more to spend or do you simply not want to invest more than the said amount.

You should use this for ideas, it's pretty good for the price. Almost too good...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgmgrH

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs