Surround Sound Problems

Lem0n

Hey All,

I recently bought a Marantz SR7008 reciever with some 7.1 surround sound paradigm speakers.

When i play blu-ray's through my ps3, it sound incredible and the center channel and the surround channels are balanced.

However when I want to watch a file (with DTS 5.1 sound) through my pc OR mac laptops (with HDMI and vlc), the sound is just terrible. There are a wide range of problems with several files ive tried

such as the bass being too strong, the voice through the center channel being too quiet and generally sound goes to the wrong channels, and sometimes the back channels dont even work at all.

Ive tried messing around with the VLC sound settings to no avail.

Am I missing anything and is there something else (i.e. other software) that I should be trying?

Any help appreciated.

VLC 2.1 + sucks. Try 2.0.8 VLC then play a movie > click right mouse on the screen > audio device >  click the A/52 over SPDIF. it should work, alot of people having issue with HDMI in VLC 2.1 +.

2.0.8 is the best at the moment.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115404

If you didn't get the A/52 over SPDIF in VLC.. you need to go to sound setting in your window control panel then set S/PDIF Pass-through Device.

Hope this helps