Will Console Gaming Ever Be Good

PaulKolby

It already is great. Been playing Destiny all week, all while waiting for WWE 2K15, Bloodborne and Silent Hill (PT) - ALL console exclusives - while at the same time playing games modded the fuck out on PC at huge resolutions and frame rates on my GTX 780, i5 4670K rig.

fzuzso.png

Years ago, consoles used to be superior to PC's for gaming. Why? Because gaming was not as big on PC as it was on Console, and Consoles were much more better and optimized for gaming. 

Fast forward to today, and PC has passed console by alot, because PC now has better hardware and is more capable of running more intense games, and it is a easier development platform.

Fast forward to today, and PC has passed console by alot, because PC now has better hardware and is more capable of running more intense games, and it is a easier development platform.

Yes, yes and no.

It's always so funny when people focus on graphics when judging a gaming platform. A higher resolution doesn't make a game more fun and 30fps is still playable (btw. 60Hz peasants, 144Hz masterrace).

It says a lot that there's only a handful of exclusive AAA-titles coming to PC, but that's a topic for another day.

In terms of hardware the PS4 is probably the easiest x86 platform on the market to program for because of it's unified RAM.

I'll keep playing on PC but one has to enjoy the console exclusives.

144Hz goodness

A lot of gamers play games that simply aren't on PC.

If the Tales series, every Nintendo IP, every Capcom IP, every Square IP, every Atlus IP, and the Halo IP came to PC, I would probably stop caring about consoles. And even then most of my gamer friends won't get gaming pcs because they either can't afford it or PC doesn't have titles that interest them

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Yes, yes and no.

It's always so funny when people focus on graphics when judging a gaming platform. A higher resolution doesn't make a game more fun and 30fps is still playable (btw. 60Hz peasants, 144Hz masterrace).

It says a lot that there's only a handful of exclusive AAA-titles coming to PC, but that's a topic for another day.

In terms of hardware the PS4 is probably the easiest x86 platform on the market to program for because of it's unified RAM.

I'll keep playing on PC but one has to enjoy the console exclusives.

Playable doesn't make it good.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

If you remember, people were making supercomputers with stacks of PS3s.

That's meaningless. People make supercomputers out of stacks of these too:

raspberry-pi-supercomputer-5.jpg

A supercomputer is just a bunch of smaller computers working together to complete more computationally complex tasks than are feasible from a single terminal. If you are Folding@Home, you are part of a supercomputer. Same with BOINC.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That's meaningless. People make supercomputers out of stacks of these too:

raspberry-pi-supercomputer-5.jpg

A supercomputer is just a bunch of smaller computers working together to complete more computationally complex tasks than are feasible from a single terminal. If you are Folding@Home, you are part of a supercomputer. Same with BOINC.

But, the difference was that nobody is doing that with the PS4.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

But, the difference was that nobody is doing that with the PS4.

Doesn't mean that they can't, won't, or shouldn't.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

When Sony makes something like the PS3 again. It was $600, but it was not a shit box. It was actually next-gen.

If you remember, people were making supercomputers with stacks of PS3s.

Because of the Cell processor. The Cell was and is a great super computer CPU, not so great in a game console though. The PS4 is a significantly better console than the PS3. Hell the 360 was a better console in my opinion.

Nah. The consoles will never catch up to the arcade. Just look at the Playstation port of Ridge Racer. Half the resolution and half the frame rate compared to the arcade version. Why would anyone want to play a shitty-looking and slow version of a game you can already play a superior version of at the local arcade? The consoles are more expensive too! 300 dollars for a Playstation? That's ridiculous. You could play a game several hundred times in the arcades for that price. And that's not even including the price of the console games. Some say home computer gaming is improving tremendously. But it'll never be a thing if you ask me. They're just too expensive and slow to be used for gaming.

Arcades also have the advantage of game developers being able to customize the controller and the cabinet according to the game being played. Can you even imagine playing a shooter without a physical gun? That's just not immersive or fun.

Where do you live that you still have Arcades? The best I have here is Dave & Busters. And while they are fun. They don't have anywhere near the selection of decent games a dedicated arcade would. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

Nintendo's the only reason I have a new console. Sony and Microsoft dont really bring anything intriguing to the table.

Oh...KH3 PLEASE COME TO PC OR WIIU.

When emulation of every console is achieved on PC, that's when console gaming may be good.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

at first it was the only way and the most powerful way to game, basically in the early 2000s PC power matched then destroyed consoles by the late 2000s, than in the early 2010s pc gaming just skyrocketed in performance and skyrocketed down in price ($150 graphics cards that are better than current gen consoles). So basically 1980-1990 - consoles were the only and best way to game, 1990-2000 console were the best way to game, but pc gaming started to become a thing, 2000-2005 pc and console became equal in power but consoles were still the "best" way to game, 2005-2010 - PC became far more powerful than console and games were becoming better on pc compared to console, 2010-present - pc gaming is arguably the cheapest, most powerful, and overall best way to game. This isn't 100% accurate and some is my opinion, but its how I see gaming shift from consoles to pcs over the last 3.5 decades.

The one advantage of consoles is that they are great if your all in the same room and wanting to play something. Except now in many games you cant do this so PCMASTERRACE4EVER

The one advantage of consoles is that they are great if your all in the same room and wanting to play something. Except now in many games you cant do this so PCMASTERRACE4EVER

Wii U console master race for the exact reason you just specified. It's the only console that's a true console and it does a bang up job of it.