Is This Good Practice?

pancoon

So I am about to do my first build in around 1 week. I am watching tutorails and I noticed on the NewEgg tutorial, he shorts his motherboard with a screwdriver to test it. Is it ok having all the components out and running? Could it be damaging? Should I even do it on my forst build? Thanks for all the help.

Video: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The…:

I'm going to be the asshole who says it but Newegg plays second fiddle to a few others when it comes to builds.

Paul can be seen spreading thermal paste in this video for example which is bad practice, watch this to see the different methods for yourself.

Here are some better ones, and by the way yes it's safe to have the components out and running similar to how Linus does so in the below video.

Out and running? You mean like having the motherboard out of the case with everything plugged in? 

If so, yeah, it's a good thing to do. It lets you make sure things are working before getting them in the case. Makes it easier to diagnose problems early on, so you won't have to pull everything out again if the motherboard is dead. 

I'm going to be the asshole who says it but Newegg plays second fiddle to a few others when it comes to builds.

Paul can be seen spreading thermal paste in this video for example.

I've watched Newegg videos where they have "build offs" and the people in them are doing everything wrong ): 

Most of the times, testing the components outside of the case saves you a lot of time and allows you to troubleshoot. Always put the motherboard on top of the motherboard box when doing this (it's intended to be use that way) and try to be ALWAYS on a clean environment, with space to work and build comfortably, with the tools and components ready to go at handy reach. Also, be sure there are no sources of static electricity nearby (like you using a sweater).

When using the screwdriver to turn on the system if you do it incorrectly you will not damage the system, so don't worry about it. The components won't suffer damage if you don't run them on a case.

btw, Linus and other guys have better guides.

Paul can be seen spreading thermal paste in this video for example which is bad practice,

Here are some better ones, and by the way yes it's safe to have the components out and running similar to how Linus does so in the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOYdNEHDQo

Thank you for the videos. On the first one with Linus, does he do anything to the motherboard to see if it post? Or does he just simply turn it on and plug in a monitor?

Thank you for the videos. On the first one with Linus, does he do anything to the motherboard to see if it post? Or does he just simply turn it on and plug in a monitor?

Turning on like he did shows if it will POST or not, you need to do it after all the components are connected because a number of them could cause a non POST.

Turning on like he did shows if it will POST or not, you need to do it after all the components are connected because a number of them could cause a non POST.

I just meant did he use a screw driver to short the motherboard or not.

I just meant did he use a screw driver to short the motherboard or not.

If he didn't do it in the video then no, he'd mention it if he did/recommended that people do it.

The second build video I posted, that guy also knows what he is saying well, and goes into a bit more detail with each individual step, if you want to learn a bit more it's worth watching that one.