Samsung 4k U28D590 Issue

Tiazmat

I recently purchased the new 4k Samsung monitor. When the display is at 2160p@60hz, the display flickers. When set to 1440p@60hz or when only half the display is displaying 2160x1920, then the monitor runs perfectly fine. I am running an XFX 7950, using a miniDP to DP to connect the monitor. I have tried the 14.10 drivers and the 14.7 beta drivers, both with the same effect. Is the monitor DOA or is this a problem I can fix?

@Tiazmat With recording a monitor through your smartphone isn't the best method of providing footage. (This happens with lots of cameras capturing at 24/30. I guess there are other's that'll record 720p @120fps FHD, 2.5K & 4K etc.) But I digress.

I was re-watching Linus's & Tek syndicate's Wendell review of this monitor but I haven't heard either of them informing about a persistent flicker.

I don't believe it's dead on arrival because it's clearly working. Just to note the monitor out of the box just has a funny flicker when turned on & doing stuff.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

That flickering is actually what the monitor looks like in person. I think I'll contact customer support from samsung, but if anyone has anything else to say, it would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung customer support only told me that I needed a new graphics card. But I shouldn't need one to be able to run the monitor at its native resolution. I'm going to leave this post here and hope it gets more responses, since I can't send it back over the weekend anyway. If anyone knows what this is, I would really appreciate it!

Samsung customer support only told me that I needed a new graphics card. But I shouldn't need one to be able to run the monitor at its native resolution. I'm going to leave this post here and hope it gets more responses, since I can't send it back over the weekend anyway. If anyone knows what this is, I would really appreciate it!

To run it, you shouldn't need a powerful GPU at all, integrated graphics can normally run 4K without issues (Iris Pro) nd that is no where near the power of a 7950

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Okay, so I tested the monitor on another computer (780 Ti and used full sized displayport on both ends) and it worked! But now the question is: what is at fault here? Mini-Displayport SHOULD be able to carry that signal, right? Is this caused by a defect in the cable, and getting a new Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable would fix the problem? Or could it be an incompatibility with either Mini-Displayport or my 7950 in general, and need to change my video card? Please, if anyone knows, I would love to get an answer!

Okay, so I tested the monitor on another computer (780 Ti and used full sized displayport on both ends) and it worked! But now the question is: what is at fault here? Mini-Displayport SHOULD be able to carry that signal, right? Is this caused by a defect in the cable, and getting a new Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable would fix the problem? Or could it be an incompatibility with either Mini-Displayport or my 7950 in general, and need to change my video card? Please, if anyone knows, I would love to get an answer!

I know not entirely comparable, but I had a similar issue using a 1080p monitor with a VGA cable. When I changed for HDMI cable (had to buy a new one, was away from home) the problem went away. The fault is either the cable, or the port on my laptop. Could be either of those things for you.

I know not entirely comparable, but I had a similar issue using a 1080p monitor with a VGA cable. When I changed for HDMI cable (had to buy a new one, was away from home) the problem went away. The fault is either the cable, or the port on my laptop. Could be either of those things for you.

Yeah, VGA being analogue means that it could easily give you a bad signal, and switching to something digital would probably fix it. But with Displayport being digital, it makes me more reluctant to claim a bad cable, but I wouldn't consider myself smart enough to just rule it out. Thanks for the input!

And for reference, both Mini-Displayport ports on my video card have this effect. So it isn't the port, but likely either the card or the cable.