High temps with stock 4790k

I finished a new build earlier this week and I seem to be having some problems with the temperatures of my processor. I am running a (mostly) stock 4790k with an H80i. Radiator and fans are mounted in push-pull as intake. Case is a Cooler Master Elite 130.

Here are my results for the benchmarks, tests, and CPU loads I have ran so far. I am getting the readings from Core Temp, AIDA64, and HWMonitor.

• Ambient Temp: ~23 °C

• Idle: 30-40 °C, as low as mid 20s to 30s.

• AIDA64 CPU only: 70-84 °C

• AIDA64 FPU only: instant spike to 90-100 °C

• Cinebench R15: 83-97 °C

• General gaming: 50-60 °C

• Compiling in Visual Studio 2013: spikes of up to 85 °C

I have tried reseating the H80 block and made sure I am not using too much thermal paste. The extent of my BIOS modifying so far has been turning up the multiplier on a couple cores so they are all 44x, the stock turbo speed, and turning down CPU voltage to 1.2v. The results above are with these changes.

So... I am kind of at a loss of what I should do. The research I have done says that these CPUs tend to run hot, but high 90s in Cinebench seems ridiculous, and I have yet to find anyone else with similar experiences. Is my processor the problem and I should RMA it? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong? I planned on overclocking this CPU, but not when my temps are like this at stock.

What speed are the fans running at?

Just to be 100% the paste is done right.

Are you sure the pump is set to full speed?

PSH, NO.

god dammit why did you have to remove the video

Edited by RainbowPee

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

It's back, I had to edit because I realized the pump speed can't be changed on an H80i.

What speed are the fans running at?

I cannot for the life of me seem to get fan speed readouts working on my computers. These always read about 2300 RPM, but the fans are definitely quiet when the CPU is idle, and spin much faster when under load. Running the AIDA64 CPU test again, the "H80i Temp" read from Corsair Link reaches 34.2 °C, pump RPM is 2217, and core temps stabilize at about 85 °C.

As for thermal paste, I used a drop of AS5, about the size of an airsoft pellet in the center, and did not spread it by hand. Although I did rub my waterblock around a bit on the CPU as I was tightening it down...

EDIT: Actually, the fans are connected using the included cable to the waterblock, and the water block's 3 pin is connected to my CPU fan header, so that could just be reading the pump RPM. However, I can't see my fan speeds in Corsair Link either.

PSH, NO.

lol love this 

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Took my computer apart again this morning. Saw that the backplate for the water block was rotated 90° from how it should have been. Cleaned and reapplied thermal paste in an X shape. After putting everything back together, AIDA64 CPU test runs at 50-60 °C. Cinebench R15 temps max out at 55-64 °C.