r9 290 Crossfire vs gtx 770 sli

williamjestes101

Hey everyone,

So I am doing a computer build in about 2-4 weeks and I need some help deciding on a video card. I am going to be gaming but I also want to be able to do rendering using blender (luxrender). I am wondering which card will get the job done better? the gtx 770 or the r9 290? Now I know obviously that the 290 is more powerful but it is more expensive. I am intending to get the 290 now. I am wondering if in a few years when it starts to slowdown which card will be better to crossfire / sli with? I have done a little research but I have not been able to find a good answer.

Please don't rinse your memory

It's a little bit obvious isn't it? You are comparing a tier 1 gpu(290) with a tier 2(770) ;)

I'm not sure but doesn't this program use openCL? 290 will be better in every possible way.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

r9 290, it can play 1440p no problem lol so it should last you for a year or two in 1440p then it will last you about another 3 years at 1080p, but i Don't know if blender uses Cuda accel but if it does then go with the 770, it will lack in 1440p when compared to the 290 but Cuda accel is just amazing (once you go cuda you never go OpenCL)

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

A Gtx 770 is in the same tier as a 280x. A GTX 780 compares to a R9 290. Obviously the dual 290s.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

The bridgeless crossfire IIRC also gives better scaling results. I think this generation of AMD cards have scaled better in Crossfire than their Nvidia counterparts have done in SLI.

R9 290 CFX of course, especially if you are going 1440p

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

That's not a fair fight.

The 290 obviously stomps the 770

144Hz goodness

Thanks for all the responses! I know its obviously not fair, but blender uses CUDA, CUDA kicks ass. So I wasnt sure if that benefit was worth it?

Thanks for all the responses! I know its obviously not fair, but blender uses CUDA, CUDA kicks ass. So I wasnt sure if that benefit was worth it?

If it uses cuda,the 770s will be better.But in anything else the 290s will murder them.

You need to set your priorities.What's more important to you? gaming or blender?And also which of these 2 are you doing most frequently.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

If it uses cuda,the 770s will be better.But in anything else the 290s will murder them.

You need to set your priorities.What's more important to you? gaming or blender?And also which of these 2 are you doing most frequently.

Well, Blender is more important to me. Is it worth it? I can use luxrender cant I? With the 290?

Yes you can.Just need to adjust some settings in order to render with openCL according to this

Yes you can.Just need to adjust some settings in order to render with openCL according to this

Thanks! Would the 290 render better in luxrender than the 770 in cycles? Obviously there are non supported texture things and luxrender is a different renderer but for similar quality renders?

Thanks! Would the 290 render better in luxrender than the 770 in cycles? Obviously there are non supported texture things and luxrender is a different renderer but for similar quality renders?

Sorry,i have no idea about that :|

Sorry,i have no idea about that :|

Well thanks for all your help anyways!

I still cant decide...

Which do you think you might choose? Also I am thinking about future crossfire/sli. Will the two 770s in a few years still be powerful enough?

Well thanks for all your help anyways!

I still cant decide...

Which do you think you might choose? Also I am thinking about future crossfire/sli. Will the two 770s in a few years still be powerful enough?

Not a chance.The biggest limiting factor is the 2gb vram.(buying a 4gb 770 is impractical).However adding a second 290 will keep you very happy for years to come.

How about getting one 780 and call it a day?

Not a chance.The biggest limiting factor is the 2gb vram.(buying a 4gb 770 is impractical).However adding a second 290 will keep you very happy for years to come.

How about getting one 780 and call it a day?

Ha, well the 780 is above my budget because I am spending a little more on other parts of my system (mobo and psu) to avoid upgrades in the future. So I shall go with the 290!

No competition ... the 290x CF is far more potent and will play games much better for a longer time. Plus CFX has better scaling than SLI.

No competition ... the 290x CF is far more potent and will play games much better for a longer time. Plus CFX has better scaling than SLI.

Did you mean 290? Or are you comparing 290 to 290x?

Did you mean 290? Or are you comparing 290 to 290x?

Woop OP said 290 that's what I meant.

Plus CFX has better scaling than SLI.

Does it though?

better to get the 290. in a couple years time you would be able to buy the latest tier one card that would keep up with two 290's in crossfire.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Does it though?

Ya for a while now. Problem is that people blew that microstuttering issue that was fixed along time ago out of proportion hurting AMDs reputation.

Ya for a while now. Problem is that people blew that microstuttering issue that was fixed along time ago out of proportion hurting AMDs repudiation.

lol, that almost slipped by me.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Ya for a while now. Problem is that people blew that microstuttering issue that was fixed along time ago out of proportion hurting AMDs repudiation.

---->IMO<----

No one can tell if the CF scaling is better or worse that SLI because it is too complicated and there just are too many variables.