Total newb question: not overclocking and cooling

bobcatmvp1

I am looking to build my own PC. This will be my first build and in a mini-ITX form factor using a Fractal Design Node 304. If I am using a i7-4790K not overclocked, and a stock EVGA 780 Ti not overclocked, will stock cooling be okay in that form factor? I don't plan to overclock, and this should be plenty of horsepower for the games I'm playing for a long time. If stock isn't good enough, what is the next best option?

The stock intel  heatsink is garbage, I would suggest the Hyper 212 Evo with a noctua fan for low noise. 

Get a hyper 212 evo if you want lower temps and low noise and put some case fans for your case to cool your heatsink and gpu.

The stock intel  heatsink is garbage, I would suggest the Hyper 212 Evo with a noctua fan for low noise. 

It's not garbage, I am the embodyment of that example. Stock =/= garbage.

It is garbage.

how are you an embodiment of something that's stock that doesn't suck?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

how are you an embodiment of something that's stock that doesn't suck?

Because my stock cooler works great.

It is garbage.

Please don't kid yourselves. The stock cooler cools adequately at the lowest cost possible. Yeah, the temps aren't comfortable. and you should probably upgrade as soon as you can, even if not overclocking, but it's perfectly fine.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

It is garbage.

If Intel is going to produce and sell a device so dependent on its own temperature, I'm pretty sure they'd send a sufficient cooler. It might not be worth its weight in gold, but it is not garbage. To send you a product that could destroy itself by design without proper hardware to keep it from happening is the most stupid marketing attempt ever. Hence why Intel sends a sufficient cooler.

PC SPECS

AMD FX-6300 - MSI R9 390 8GB - GA-970A-UD3P - EVGA 500B 500W - CORSAIR SPEC-02 - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB (2x4) RAM - CORSAIR FORCE SERIES LS 120 GB SSD

Because my stock cooler works great.

embodiment means that you ARE a tangible essence of an idea.

e.g. the GTX titan z is the embodiment of an overpriced and wrongly marketed graphics card

Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but the way you used it isn't correct

However, as @FractalCyclone mentioned, intel has to provide a heatsink that works for the tdp of their processors, and there's nothing wrong with it, it'll still work to an extent.

It's just much worse than something like the Hyper 212 evo/x or aftermarket heatsinks that can be rather cheap

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Nothing removes the fact that it can't handle overclock and handles poorly the stock one. And sound like a tiny airplane inside your box, if that's good for you, nice, it's cheap garbage anyway.

embodiment means that you ARE a tangible essence of an idea.

e.g. the GTX titan z is the embodiment of an overpriced and wrongly marketed graphics card

Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but the way you used it isn't correct

I was using it more for exaggeration I suppose, mostly just to get my point across I admit it wasn't in the right context but I assume people got my point.

Nothing removes the fact that it can't handle overclock and handles poorly the stock one. And sound like a tiny airplane inside your box, if that's good for you, nice, it's cheap garbage anyway.

It can handle an overclock, and the silent setting isn't Noctua level silent but doesn't sound like a plane inside your case.

The stock cooler cools fine at stock speeds (hence the name STOCK cooler) but it's a little loud.

OK, thanks for the help. Since I am new to this, how is the installation process of a Hyper 212 Evo versus say a Corsair H75? Keep in mind, I've NEVER built a PC. And do you all know if the Hyper 212 Evo is compatible with that small compact case and high(er) profile memory like Corsair Dominator? Thanks for all of the help guys!

I am looking to build my own PC. This will be my first build and in a mini-ITX form factor using a Fractal Design Node 304. If I am using a i7-4790K not overclocked, and a stock EVGA 780 Ti not overclocked, will stock cooling be okay in that form factor? I don't plan to overclock, and this should be plenty of horsepower for the games I'm playing for a long time. If stock isn't good enough, what is the next best option?

I have a Node 304 (see full specs in sig). I was using the stock Intel cooler and it worked "ok". The thing I found with the Node when running a higher-end GPU is after gaming for a period of time, the temps inside the case tend to creep up (because the GPU pumps the inside of the case full of hot air) and the two 92mm intake fans at the front and one 140mm exhaust fan at the back, isn't quite enough to keep up. 

When running all air coolers and stock case fans, I was seeing CPU temps in the 60-65* range and GPU temps in the 65-75* range under heavy gaming. When the CPU cooler only has the hot air in the case to feed it, your CPU temps will creep, and that's what I saw happening. Now my CPU rarely exceeds 40-45* and the GPU hits no higher than 54*, but I'm now running water cooling on both. ;)

I would suggest a better CPU cooler like the 212 as it will definitely do a better job than the stock cooler. Higher temps are ok as long as they don't go too high - something I never saw happen in the Node. So you can have some confidence in the air flow of this chassis as it is pretty good for a mini-ITX case. :)

If you weren't planning to overclock, then may I ask why you chose to go with the 4790K instead of the non-K version?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

if not overclocking just save the money and get a i7-4770 like 99% of the horse power at only 80ish % of the cost. and maybe get Hyper212 Evo or 120mm AIO Watercooler or leave it on stock whichever works for you... Normally I'd say just stick with stock but in SFF(small formfactor) you want to get heat out of there immediately. Specially since the Node doesn't have the most optimal airflow... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

The Intel stock cooler is ok for a non stressed cpu i.e Office/Internet build etc. It will probably get noisy under load though. Just chuck a cheap low profile cooler on it.

I am going with the i7-4790K because I have no budget for this SFF build, and because it has a base clock speed of 4.0GHz, so why not? Also, as a newbie, am I going to have trouble installing either the Hyper 212 or something like a H75 inside the node 304?

I am going with the i7-4790K because I have no budget for this SFF build, and because it has a base clock speed of 4.0GHz, so why not? Also, as a newbie, am I going to have trouble installing either the Hyper 212 or something like a H75 inside the node 304?

The Fractal Design Node 304 takes a cooler up to 165mm tall. The Hyper 212 Evo is 159mm so you shouldn't have any issues fitting it in. The two links below give you the info on dimensions etc.

Node 304 spec - http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

Hyper 212 spec - http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/product/Detail/cooling/hyper-series/hyper-212-evo.html

When was the last time you actually installed a stock cooler? The Haswell cooler is actually reasonably quiet at stock speeds. You may recall that the op was very specific in stating stock speeds NO OC.

Stock is fine. If you do want something a little better I would suggest a Noctua NH-U12S. CPU coolers are fairly easy to install although the Hyper 212 EVO can be challenging for some.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.